Spike Elk Advice!! Meat Free for 2 years......wisdom needed.

Jweber240

FNG
Hi All. First off this all comes down to the very last minute so excuse the long post. I'm not a resident yet here as we just bought a home in ELK Ridge just south of Payson. I purchased an out of state otc spike elk tag. I've done my scouting for a few days a week for the last month. I have 850 acres of private land off highway 89 near birdseye but on the Manti side. I use that property to get into the Manti and then hike in from there to glass all the north and south facing hillsides in the canyons. After first 2 weeks I have not spotted any elk only one set of tracks that crossed mine from the time I left my side by side for my 3 hr hike in...go figure. Never spotted that animal yet. My focus the last couple weeks has been the Nebo Unit now as I have spotted a couple spikes just on the DNR properties that broder the national forest. I see a lot of folks hunt the roads looking south at the mountain side for elk....well the ones I spotted are usually at the ridge problem is for those folks who road hunt have to go through private property to reach the DNR and I see folks trespass hunting all the time up there and well.....its irritating when I'm hoofing a 50lb pack up the opposite side of the mountain to remain in legal boundaries. To my point. My side by side that I use to get back to my starting point has blown its differential brackets on my way back from opening day so I dont have a vehicle that can tackle the hellacious atv path to get there any longer which helps me tackle several miles before I put in the huge efforst to get to my spot. Thankfully I didnt have anyone up where I was (hint) near around south west of loafer mountain. Going in by myself and packing an animal out by myself is daunting (doable). But now with the vehicle I rely on out of service I just can't afford those extra miles on my body to ethically take an animal and try a pack out. So now, knowing there are elk up I can no longer get to (they didnt show themselves opening day) I need to source out a new area that has potential. I haven't eaten meat or meat products of any kind for 2 years. I'm not a vegan just a lifestyle change. Well, the family wants meat again in their lives and the wife said if we are to get meat I have to harvest it. I'm a first time elk hunter but have harvested many deer from our previous home state. I'm a dedicated hunter just lost now. The area I found is very steep. Took me 2hrs to get a half mile in the dark. I left my home at 1:30am and was in my spot at 4am. I stayed up there until 6:45am. Wish I had seen the animals I had seen the few days previous but witnessed a young man hiking down the north face of the mountain I approach on the south side from and watched him spook three branch bulls and two spikes so maybe that's why I didn't have the opportunity. Sorry for the long winded post and truly appreciate any insight. Not worried about the hard work but I'm in this hunt so much commitment and money that the thought if my season is over only after one day. It's nice meeting you all and good luck with your season!

OP
J

Jweber240

FNG
Clarity for all after reading my own post. I have permission from a private landowner to hunt 850acres. I just use it to access the national forest as stated. I was in my spot until 6:45PM not AM. Thanks all!

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered, and would one work in your area. An e-bike? We hunt tough terrain too, have to deal with deep and steep with packs, and are seriously looking into the Quiet Kats. Unfortunately can’t tell you where your spike is. That’s a hard tag. Next year get otc cow - better odds and equally great meat.

OP
J

Jweber240

FNG
Have you considered, and would one work in your area. An e-bike? We hunt tough terrain too, have to deal with deep and steep with packs, and are seriously looking into the Quiet Kats. Unfortunately can’t tell you where your spike is. That’s a hard tag. Next year get otc cow - better odds and equally great meat.
Thanks for the reply. I tried my DR350 as it is quieter than my side by side and it's just too tough to ride the boulders which are softball to basketball size on steep terrain. I just dont think I would fair any better on an ebike.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
When your not seeing elk you gotta move. Elk are only going to be up and feeding early and late this time of year sitting a single spot all day limits your opportunity.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hnttillmt

FNG
Don't know if it in your budget, but if your really feeling like the ATV is your key to getting it done you could rent one for a couple hundred bucks a day.