Spikelights headlamp---flamethrower!

WRM

WKR
I was looking to supplement my Surefire minimus headlamp recently. While I really like that headlamp for general use (other than the lack of a strap over the top of the head, which is fixable), I wanted something with more power. I ran across the Petzl Ultra Rush on a review page and looked into it. The cost ($400.00 plus) and the proprietary battery packs (also insanely expensive) pretty much put it off my list. But, I used it as a base search to find what others suggested in its place. A few reviews later and I was convinced the Petzl was not for me—aside from cost, it got blasted for poor battery life and the proprietary pack just was a no go anyway. On one of the flashlight forums that turned up in my search, I noticed one person commented, without any explanation: “get a Spikelight”. What the hell? So, I dutifully searched Spikelight and quickly came up with the website.

http://www.spikelights.com.au/v/

Because the price for the product is still fairly high (approx $200.00 US Dollars), it is a “cottage” product, and all I knew about it was some random guy on a flashlight forum said “get one”, I studied the site and the blog for quite some time. Finally, I reached out to Ashley at Spikelights with some questions. First, let me say that Ashley responded quickly to all my questions and answered what I asked him. It is rare when I run into an established company that succeeds on this point, but they get by because they are “established”. I personally feel it is necessary for a cottage producer to respond intelligently and (relatively) quickly or they lose all credibility with me. Ashley passed this test with flying colors. After some back and forth, I decided to get a light and both of his spot beam options (one headlamp assembly but an extra LED for the other spot function).

This light is one of the best products I have ever purchased and certainly is at the top of the cottage industry products heap. It is extremely well thought out and executed. There are a couple of areas that hint it is “garage made” and I will list those:

1. The molded headband clips for the headlamp and the battery pack have some minor tooling marks on them. They also have the appearance typical of injection molded plastic at this level. Neither of these comments is meant as a negative. Many people may not notice this, but I had a friend who used to do a lot of injection molding work. So, I have seen this before. The clips appear to be very stable and well made. They just are not as “pretty” as what you might get on a, say, $400.00 Petzl Ultra Rush, but I didn’t pay $400.00 either. They are perfectly functional and fit the head well, and there were no sharp edges on mine.

2. The battery pack is attached to the rear headband clip with zip ties. This is a simple and inelegant solution. I like it because, if it breaks, I can fix it—unlike so much other crap made by “established” companies that has delicate, ill-conceived attaching/locking/ latching mechanisms. When those break, you usually have to either figure out a way to fix it (i.e. with a zip tie) or throw the whole shebang out. I’m sure it saves on production costs too and lets him keep costs down. I have no issue with this, but some may.

3. The battery pack fits inside its housing by pressure and an o ring. Once assembled, it is held together securely by a small Velcro band. Another simple solution, and I won’t have a broken latch on a battery compartment door down the road. Like the above, I have absolutely no problem with this solution.

My conclusion is, unless you keyed on one of these points when you saw the product, it easily could pass for something sold by a brand name manufacturer—it’s that good.

But enough about that—it has to work to be any good, right? In action, this thing is a monster. The flood beam puts out big, even light and the selections for power level seem just right. The spot beam is insanely good. Mine came with the narrow beam installed. It is like an airplane landing light on 100%. The beam is super tight and intense. Frankly, this beam is probably not for most users (and he pretty much says so on his site). I will probably only use it for frog gigging trips on the river, but I suspect the standard spot likely will suffice for this as well. The standard spot also is fantastic, it just is not quite as tight as the narrow, but that gives it more utility, in my opinion. I’ll be using fewer luminous trail markers for my whitetail hunting stands with that spot, I’m sure. Note that in the performance plus mode, there is a setting which allows you to simultaneously run the spot AND the flood. MORE POWER!

This light is the ultimate in a high power headlamp, in my opinion. Check out the run times Ashley has listed on his site for the various modes. I have not independently confirmed these, but I have no reason to doubt it with my exposure thus far to the product. I will say that when my cells were nearly out of power (3% charge remaining, and I did not charge them when I first tested the lamp as my charger had not come in yet), I noticed zero drop in light output. The light had not even entered its “get home” mode to conserve the remaining battery power. This in itself is amazing as far as I am concerned. This light is eking out everything those big cells can deliver.

The cells may be an issue to some. Originally, I was hoping to find something using a 123, as it would match my Surefire and my Olight baton. I hesitated a bit on this lamp due to its use of a cell with which I am not familiar. In the end, I am very glad I ignored my first instinct on that and took the chance. As the batteries are not proprietary, a different battery type is, for me, a fairly minor issue at the end of the day. The monster run times more than make up for any inconvenience.

Weight on my unit is 8.85 ounces (with batteries installed). The Surefire is just under half that weight (4 ounces with single 123) but simply is outclassed in performance. The headband is very comfortable and holds the light quite securely. The fabric seems to be sized about perfectly and it has just the right amount of stretch. I had zero issues with it, unlike my Surefire which constantly wants to move around or even fall off due to the rather skimpy and overly stretchy headband. The angle adjustment function of the lamp also is secure and needed, as it allows the light to be precisely oriented when on the head.

I bought a gasketed storage container at the Container Store to keep it in (Sistema 23 ounce capacity). It allows me to also squeeze in my Surefire headlamp and my Olight S1 baton, so I can keep all of my lights together and protected. Pretty nice for throwing in the (not so) “dry” storage area on one of my small boats, and I can probably leave the handheld floodlight and its attendant 12 volt battery at home from now on.

The cells I bought are

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230934012596?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

and the charger I bought is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231553370581?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I have absolutely no disappointment in this purchase. Quality piece of gear made by someone who obviously actually uses what he builds. Ashley has a really great product here. As I noted above, the price is around $200.00 (US). Also note that the site pricing is in Australian Dollars, and the current conversion rate is very favorable to us. Paypal will convert the sale to US dollars. Search a currency converter if you buy and you’ll be able to get the daily conversion which is usually to within a dollar or two of the conversion in Paypal.

I doubt many would need the narrow beam flood, but, if you decide to get both, PM me. There are a couple of specific tools you will need and a couple of tips I can give you when changing out the bulbs. It isn’t a terribly difficult process, but it is something that is best done at home.

This review is my opinion. I paid full price with my own, hard-earned US dollars for the product I reviewed. I have no connection to Spikelights, other than the fact I am now a fan of their product.

That sounds pretty slick, I'll have to check it out.

I would email him but any headlamp or flashlight I've seen run off 18650's can use 2 cr123's double stacked in it place, just an FYI.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Thanks for input. I believe I mentioned to Ashley that I had been looking for 123 power, but he did not note that compatibility. I do know the Spikelight will function with only one 18650 installed. I'll email him and see what he has to say.

It's a slick light. I doubt you'll regret buying one.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well Hell........ I'm a sucker for headlamps and I didn't want to but I bought one to see how it compares against the Zebralight.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Yes, post it up! I would love to see a comparison. With the minimus and the Spikelight I have pretty much abandoned my flashlights and I had a couple nice Surefire handhelds. I'll be shocked if the Spikelight isn't the winner, but that is the great thing about forum comparisons. Others can get the benefit of a willingness to experiment.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Short answer from Spikelights on 123 usage is, no. The mode control on the standard production is not rated for that voltage. But, if someone wants that capability, Ashley indicates he can modify the light. So, shoot him an email if that is a necessity for you.

He also noted that "a good 18650 has about 4.5 times as much stored energy as the best RCR123 cells, and about 2.8 times as much energy as the best CR123 cells. So one 18650 cell stores more energy than any two 123 format cells."

I don't know about all that sciency stuff, but I do know I tried rechargeable 123s a few years back and the performance was not that great. Later, Surefire briefly put out a branded rechargeable 123, but it has been gone from the market for awhile. Since I would rather have a rechargeable in this light, the 18650 is ok by me.

ahorton

FNG
Hi Everyone,

I'm the guy who made the Spikelight WRM reviewed.
I'm just here in case anyone has a direct question since my lights are quite unusual.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
No it does not. I posted links for what I ordered off ebay. It is light only. 18650 cells are more popular than I realized and many may already have cells and a charger. Spikelights sells batteries and has some links to recommended batteries and chargers on ebay au. But the cells could not be shipped overseas and the charger is not set up for us current. I bought mine after sending info to Ashley for review and approval. So Spikelights has looked at and "approved" the cells and they recommend the Soshine chargers anyway.

twall13

WKR
I'm subscribed just to see how Ryan compares it to the Zebra Lights. I know how much he loves those and I've loved mine as well. At the weight, I doubt I'll switch for backcountry hunting but I could have other uses for a light like that. Thanks for posting up the review.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Yeah, no worries. I don't use a Zebra so I am interested in the comparison as well. I knew some would view it as heavy, but I still have a 4 D cell maglite in a box somewhere. This is like a feather to me.

colonel00

WKR
Subscribing as well. Granted, I have no need for another headlamp but this is still interesting. Not sure how I feel about the batteries/battery pack being just zip tied on the back. I'd love to see some photos of the whole unit. I looked over the web site and can't seem to find any photos of the whole thing.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
I had a bit of the same reaction. I'll try and get some photos posted up. Ever try to break a zip tie with your hands?

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Pictured with a Surefire Minimus for comparison. In images 2 and 3, you can see the zip ties that hold the battery compartment to the rear molded headpiece and the velcro which makes sure the battery compartment does not inadvertently come apart. All very secure and unobtrusive.

SEE IMAGES BELOW

In re-reading my review, I don't think I really noted one of the main benefits of this light (although it is on the website). In its regular mode, one click of the button toggles between spot and flood at whatever light level you have selected. Then in a auxiliary mode you can select for both the spot and flood to be on at the same time, but only at 100% power level.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Here are the photos from WRM if you cannot see them above. The light is bigger than I thought while the zip ties and the battery pack really isn't that bad at all. I notice in the last picture that the top "bulb" looks red. It isn't colored is it?

Spike%201_zpsa40qu6e8.jpg

Spike%202_zpsviwj6ojq.jpg

Spike%203_zpsra6rnfkh.jpg

Spike%204_zpstxopqqrf.jpg

OP
W

WRM

WKR
No, the light is white. I think the control board has some red on it and it must have gotten magnified in the pictures, or its just an odd reflection off the spot beam lens.

Thanks for posting up the pics.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Good cartoon Johnboy. Yeah I was in way over my head on the flashlight forum I was on when I found out about the spikelight. Some serious discussion and custom building and mods going on there.

As far as lumen output, check out the website. There is a specific page on this issue

http://spikelights.com.au/v/how-many-lumens/

It can be easy to game the lumen number. I own a number of Surefire lights, however, and I feel comfortable saying it puts out massive light on 100%. If you switch to flood and spot on at same time (this only works at 100%) don't point it at anyone you like. Seriously though, it is a nice light. Hopefully Ryan Avery will be able to weigh in on it soon. I have never owned a Zebralight so I can't directly compare the two.

Last edited: