Spin Class Anyone

shaun

WKR
Thought I would see if anyone has taken one. I took one for the first time this morning and wow! My quads felt a whole different kind of burn. Felt great might have to throw one of those in my workout atleast twice a week

Hardstalk

WKR
Ill jump in one one when the wife and I are on the same gym schedule. (Rarely) the first time I went to one I was blown away as well. She just graduated a few months ago with her masters while she was in school I would sneak into the university "boot camp" class. Those trainers would love to see people puke. It would get rough!

I take them on a regular basis, they are a great cardio workout and pretty fun but they can kick your butt for sure.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been a personal trainer for 5 years. I do one on one's, groups, teach spin, strength, and boot camps. I teach every Wed night and Sunday late morning. I also ride at eleast 3 other times a week. Spinning is great cardio/leg training!

Hardstalk

WKR
Incase you haven't seen some of les's previous threads the guy is an animal! He teaches a couple spin classes then jumps on his bicycle rides a couple miles home. Cooks himself a very strict meal jumps back on his bicycle rides back to meet another client and goes for a couple more hours. It was before last hunting season I believe he had a blog on a thread about his "normal" day. I hot tired reading it!

BigSurArcher

Banned
I'm an instructor also; I teach at the SSU gym. It's a great workout for the time, but nothing beats going out and putting 50-100 miles on the road bike.

jmez

WKR
I'm an instructor also; I teach at the SSU gym. It's a great workout for the time, but nothing beats going out and putting 50-100 miles on the road bike.

Putting miles on a mountain bike in steep country beats miles on the road bike IMO.

Slim Jim

WKR
Putting miles on a mountain bike in steep country beats miles on the road bike IMO.
Of course but if you don't have a bike but you do have a membership, it can be a great workout. Especially if you have family and time is a factor, one hour on the stationary with an instructor pushing you can still give you great results

BigSurArcher

Banned

I agree to some extent. I do my share of mountain biking also, and it's great for balance. Also works the mind way more than road biking. But, I get my best cardio out of road biking in the mountains. Going hard on a 7-10 mile 3500-4000 foot paved climb can't be beat IMO. Then you get to descend...

My wife teaches a spin class down at the local bike shop. Also, if you have a trainer you can use the "Sufferfest" videos at home.

Their motto is "I'll beat my @$$ today so I can kick yours tomorrow."

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Incase you haven't seen some of les's previous threads the guy is an animal! He teaches a couple spin classes then jumps on his bicycle rides a couple miles home. Cooks himself a very strict meal jumps back on his bicycle rides back to meet another client and goes for a couple more hours. It was before last hunting season I believe he had a blog on a thread about his "normal" day. I hot tired reading it!

LOL, I got tired reading that description....Last fall was my best yet in the mountains. Heavy packs, long walks, steep climbs, all made easier by off season year around training. Hardstalk, you are spot on though. I drive a 2500 Diesel and the wife has a car. My truck hasn't been started since December 21. Been using the legpower a lot. Together we use the car, otherwise I been running or biking. Hell its 40° in January in WI. Been raining for the last 20 hours. Can't snowshoe so might as well run to the gym (its only 2.8 miles)!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is a complex issue, which there is no right answer or wrong answer. It really comes down to each's own individual needs, desires, and wanted end outcome.

Road bikes are just pedaling machines. You either sit in the saddle and spin the cranks, or you stand up and hammer on them. There's not much else to it. (Not as easy as it sounds, but you get my drift). Road bikes will be up to 20% more efficient, end result burning more calories.

Mountain bikes are handling machines. If you ride them off road, you are constantly in and out of the saddle, spinning the cranks, hammering on them, shifting your weight from side to side, and front to back as you negotiate the terrain. Wider tires, less efficiency, more movement this all equal more work. This equates to burning more calories.

They are both simply just tools, you can work equally as hard on one as the other, its all up to you!

tstowater

WKR
I generally do a spin class once or twice a week. Right now, the 5:30A.M. schedule is 2X a week with different instructors who each have a different approach. This gives me a change up and a better work out. If we are really pushing, I am running sweat most of the time. Great cardio and leg workout to add to the mix, especially since it is heading for 0 degrees soon. Don't like wiping out on the snow and ice.

jmez

WKR
They definitely are both good. I don't have a road bike but ride my mountain bike both on the road and off road. Off road is always a better workout for me. I think there is a big difference and goes to what you say, in and out of the saddle, handling the bike etc. Coming downhill on a really rough trail there is no rest and roll, even if you aren't spinning the cranks.