Spin off of 5 days in Wyoming deer

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to research region g and h for deer in Wyoming as a non resident and can't find an answer to my question. It some what goes with the thread of is 5 days enough for a deer hunt.

Are all the deer really that far in the back country in g and h that a guy has to backpack in 5 plus miles to have a chance to kill a deer? If that is the case it doesn't seem like it's a great hunt as you have to walk past a lot of country with zero deer.

wytx

WKR
We just spent several weeks in moose area 24, that deer region. Saw about 3 deer and all the big bucks were way high up on the mountains, elk too for that matter.
After the moose hunt we decided not going over that way for deer , horses are needed and too many folks for us.
Time and energy spent would get you into big buck country over there.

DWarcher

WKR
Five days is definitely doable if you've put in your time scouting. Without setting foot into that country finding and killing a big buck will be a stretch.

Westman

FNG
I have not seen all of G, but the part I hunted is definitely not a day hunt. We hunted with horses and even then it took a fair amount of riding to get back in far enough. It's steep and tough country and there aren't deer around every corner but if you can get back in it's awesome country. BTW, water is an issue up high too.....

VANDAL

WKR
In G a lot of that country can be accessed in a 3-5 mile hike and depending upon your legs less than 4 hr hike. This would be both the Salt and Greys side. There are good bucks throughout that country…in deep and just just above the trailheads.

H lays out the same in some areas but other areas will definitely require more travel.

Scouting will be huge, so as mentioned above, before selecting those hunts I would look more into how many days you have to scout and learn the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Im old, couldnt see shortchanging myself w just 5 days. Hardly enough time to aquaint w the mountains and stars.

Lets put it into perspective, when the success rate is 30%, that means 7 out of 10 guys do not tag a deer. No matter how long they hunt.

You just have to understand that there is quite a bit of country that just isn't deer country and most of the quality habitat is up high. Not saying that there isn't plenty of good stuff down low but it is less obvious and smaller pockets. Like others have said, not scouting or knowing the area is a big negative towards your success out here. Also the deer numbers are about 20% of what they were 10+ years ago, especially in g. Gonna be way more people out there the next few years with the explosion of growth in Star Valley! Good bye mule deer

OP
B

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
You are going to use more points then days?

You also understand this is an over the counter for residents?
Yes I know it’s otc for residents. I’m just trying to wrap my mind around that you have to go in 5 plus miles just to find a deer.

Yes I know it’s otc for residents. I’m just trying to wrap my mind around that you have to go in 5 plus miles just to find a deer.
I've never been there, but im sure there's some deer.
I think everyone just assumes if you saved points to go to G you want a next level buck.
And those types of bucks won't tolerate pressure.

If it is anything like place I've been there's decent habit close. To close for most deer to be comfortable. Then there is a large band of rocks and extremely poor feed. You have to get up past all that to get to the next spot they will live.

And the few in between places are known and will get clobbered.
And deer that is there will be shot at 1st lite or headed for an escape.

In G a lot of that country can be accessed in a 3-5 mile hike and depending upon your legs less than 4 hr hike. This would be both the Salt and Greys side. There are good bucks throughout that country…in deep and just just above the trailheads.

H lays out the same in some areas but other areas will definitely require more travel.

Scouting will be huge, so as mentioned above, before selecting those hunts I would look more into how many days you have to scout and learn the country.

I hunted G for the first time last year, and this is consistent with what I experienced.

Had a little insider info from a family member, and this was a head start. Two-day scouting trip confirmed that the area I planned to hunt would give me some good opportunities. Then planned to hunt last four days of archery and first four days of rifle.

Mountains were nice and quiet during my first couple days, and I had a couple opportunities, including a quality stalk on a great buck. Didn’t pan out, but that’s archery hunting sometimes. As it got closer to the rifle opener, horse camps started popping up around water sources (I was the only hunter that I ran into not using pack animals), and you could tell everyone was positioning for the rifle opener.

Opening day of rifle was pretty crazy. After a morning of having deer pushed around and lots of shots fired across the basin, I ended up heading to some rougher country that was a ways from water and more rugged than most horse hunters wanted to traverse. Had seen some big bodied bucks from a few miles away and decided to drop in. Was glad to take the buck in my profile pic that afternoon. Pack out to truck was 7 miles.

So in sum, I scouted two days, hunted five days. How long you need to hunt may also be dictated by your goals. I wanted to kill a mature buck. Got an old, big bodied velvet warrior who is all main beams and good mass but not much for scoring. I am 100% pleased. But the next time I hunt G I’ll probably set my sights a little higher and that could take longer too.

Feel free to send a PM. Not interested in sharing locations but happy to talk general strategy and planning.

We just spent several weeks in moose area 24, that deer region. Saw about 3 deer and all the big bucks were way high up on the mountains, elk too for that matter.
After the moose hunt we decided not going over that way for deer , horses are needed and too many folks for us.
Time and energy spent would get you into big buck country over there.
How'd you do on the moose tag? Spent a few days chasing cow elk in November there. Moose all over the place and a couple nice bulls. Didn't see much for deer where we were at, best buck was maybe 150ish.

crewcsc

FNG
I plan on scouting 2 different times before the hunt starts then at least 1 five day pack trip just before the season opens and the first few open days.