Spin Testing Questions

Rodéo

WKR
In the seemingly never-ending process of building an at-home archery pro shop, I picked up a Pine Ridge arrow inspector.

Here are a few dumb questions I have in the interest of learning:

1. Is the Pine Ridge arrow inspector "worth it"? What I mean is, it seems kind of silly to me to be testing the straightness of arrows that are around $20 fully built up with a device that costs $20. Are the "better" AKA more expensive arrow inspectors out there worth the extra cost?

2. Is testing straightness really as simple as it seems? Put an arrow on there at various sections, spin it, and eyeball it to see if it's spinning true? I'm assuming this is also how you test your broadheads - screw one on and see if it makes the arrow spin with a wobble?

3. This relates to #2, where is the best spot to balance your arrows to test the straightness? I'm guessing the answer is to test the arrow all along different points as long as it stays balanced but I'm not really sure.

You can't measure run-out with it, but yes it will show you even very minor issues. Not many situations where you actually need to know how far out something is, just confirm that it is indeed straight.

Zac

WKR
I would make sure you are not spinning over the labels. Make sure you have bare carbon on both wheels. If you wan't to upgrade you can pick up the Firenock PAPS system, and the spinning wheels for 160ish dollars. If you wan't to upgrade over that you can buy a Ram for 250.

Tilzbow

WKR
Serious question: Other than broadhead alignment, which is easily checked by spinning the arrow like a top, are you guys actually finding shafts that aren’t straight? I can see the need 20 - 30 years ago when carbon first came out and were poorly made and/or we were shooting aluminum which might bend but with today’s manufacturing processes I’d be surprised if newly purchased high quality shafts aren’t true to spec.

wapitibob

WKR
Buy an old arrow straightener that has a dial indicator if you want to see how straight your arrows are.
I haven’t seen a full dozen of carbon arrows that met their straightness spec ever.

Brendan

WKR
Serious question: Other than broadhead alignment, which is easily checked by spinning the arrow like a top, are you guys actually finding shafts that aren’t straight? I can see the need 20 - 30 years ago when carbon first came out and were poorly made and/or we were shooting aluminum which might bend but with today’s manufacturing processes I’d be surprised if newly purchased high quality shafts aren’t true to spec.

If I buy a set of Easton Axis Pro's - I'll get total runout of .000" - .007" in the same batch. There's usually only one, maybe two outside of spec, but it happens.

I measure and cut down off both ends to minimize runout in the cut-down shaft.

Just rolling a bare shaft on a flat counter top will show the ones that are way out of spec. Some will hardly roll that have 0.007" total runout (over a + or - 0.003" spec) and others "gallop" along instead of rolling smoothly.

As mentioned above the top style spin test will show how well the point lines up with the shaft. Doing it by blowing on the fletch with the point sitting in your palm and the the shaft cradled almost vertically supported by the thumb and middle finger nail gives you a lot of "feel "for the straightness as well.

I check all bare shafts on an old dial indicator straightener left from my days of shooting aluminum arrows to determine which end to cut (or both) when making arrows. I also ensure that the nock end is the straightest end irregardless of where the label is.

And I am shooting Easton Carbon Injexion shafts, not Walmart shafts in case you are wondering. Out of my last 2 dozen shafts a few years ago, I still have 2 that I never made up due to excessive run-out. I eventually will make them into Judo point arrows that might be one shot and done. My first 3 dozen Injexions 7 years ago had 6 or 7 shafts of 36 that did not meet their straightness spec. Easton begrudgingly replaced them.

All shafts should be checked in my opinion.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Appreciate the responses. It looks like the pine ridge model will do for now. I'll follow the tips you guys talked about. Thanks!

Another advantage of the Pine Ridge is portability - I always bring one on my trips. Some arrows or components are less than perfect when born, but the idea that no carbon arrow can bend or components shift isn’t 100% either - it can happen from pressure during travel, arrow being shot into target media or an animal, removing and reinstalling replaceable blade broadheads, etc. I always spin every hunting arrow prior to installing it in my quiver - if it doesn’t spin true it isn’t going to fly true. The Pine Ridge certainly helped me eliminate mistakes and any uncertainty.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Yes. This year. Out of 24 gold tip pierce platninum 10 were out of spec. Either runout or GPI or both. After a dozen emails back and forth they agreed to send new ones. Out of those 10, 9 were workable. One was out on runout again.

After arrows some components dont spin true especially half outs. After components some broadheads dont spin true.

I end up spinning my arrows 3 or 4 times throught the build process. The pine ridge is the easiest to use IMO.

Zac

WKR
Yes. This year. Out of 24 gold tip pierce platninum 10 were out of spec. Either runout or GPI or both. After a dozen emails back and forth they agreed to send new ones. Out of those 10, 9 were workable. One was out on runout again.

After arrows some components dont spin true especially half outs. After components some broadheads dont spin true.

I end up spinning my arrows 3 or 4 times throught the build process. The pine ridge is the easiest to use IMO.
Yeah GT P Platinums are some of the absolute worst.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yeah GT P Platinums are some of the absolute worst.

The GPI difference wasnt that big of a deal since most 100gr broadheads dont weight 100 grains and most fieldpoints do. It actually allowed me to build arrows that were the same weight easier. The runout is why most failed though. I have been pretty happy with the durability now that they are built. I wouldnt buy them again though. Especially not for $15 a shaft.

Zac

WKR
The GPI difference wasnt that big of a deal since most 100gr broadheads dont weight 100 grains and most fieldpoints do. It actually allowed me to build arrows that were the same weight easier. The runout is why most failed though. I have been pretty happy with the durability now that they are built. I wouldnt buy them again though. Especially not for $15 a shaft.
Yeah i came to the same conclusion. Almost went with the Tours. Ended up changing to Day 6 back then instead. I wonder what Tim does. I have a feeling that he is sorting through hundreds of shafts to find his dozen.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yeah i came to the same conclusion. Almost went with the Tours. Ended up changing to Day 6 back then instead. I wonder what Tim does. I have a feeling that he is sorting through hundreds of shafts to find his dozen.

They sort 3 ways at Gold Tip for GPI. Light, medium and heavy. When I got the replacements they were wrapped up with a tag. I bet he goes through 4 or 5 dozen to get his 1st dozen. However I will say the dozen he will find will be 001 runout. For the money black eagle will be my next shafts. Ive been very pleased with the ones I built for my brother.

Reactions: Zac
I have decided half out components suck. Between the chance for run-out and the additional leverage on broadheads it's just not worth the hassle.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
They sort 3 ways at Gold Tip for GPI. Light, medium and heavy. When I got the replacements they were wrapped up with a tag. I bet he goes through 4 or 5 dozen to get his 1st dozen. However I will say the dozen he will find will be 001 runout. For the money black eagle will be my next shafts. Ive been very pleased with the ones I built for my brother.
Yeah I've pretty much reached the conclusion that the BE Rampage, and Easton Axis are the only shafts worth running. Brent's system from Valkyrie is probably the best if there is such a thing, however I don't want to drop a grand on arrows every time i change a set up.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord