Spinal surgery recovery/shot rebuild

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I had spinal surgery (ACDF with a fuse of C6 and C7) on 5/18. The doctor has told me to expect to refrain from shooting my bow for 3 months, subject to how things progress. I read an article today in the June issue of Petersen's Bowhunting on how to rebuild one's shot process to cure target panic (summarized below) and wondered if those steps would serve as a good set of guidelines for rehabbing by rebuilding my process from the ground up (especially since I've had my bouts with target panic).
  1. use a practice string/bow - I've got one
  2. reduce draw weight (my two bows are currently set at a bit over 70#)
  3. do "blank bale" shooting at close range (5 yards)
  4. float pin (don't shoot) at close range
  5. shoot target at close range
  6. increase draw weight and distance
What is missing from the above is (a) a big time gap between 1 and 3 (as I probably shouldn't be doing any shooting for a good while) and (b) some exercises that I could eventually do after some time, but hopefully before I (and after) I get to step 3. Anyone else who has been through something similar and has thoughts, please weigh in.

Bl704

WKR
I had spinal surgery (ACDF with a fuse of C6 and C7) on 5/18. The doctor has told me to expect to refrain from shooting my bow for 3 months, subject to how things progress. I read an article today in the June issue of Petersen's Bowhunting on how to rebuild one's shot process to cure target panic (summarized below) and wondered if those steps would serve as a good set of guidelines for rehabbing by rebuilding my process from the ground up (especially since I've had my bouts with target panic).
  1. use a practice string/bow - I've got one
  2. reduce draw weight (my two bows are currently set at a bit over 70#)
  3. do "blank bale" shooting at close range (5 yards)
  4. float pin (don't shoot) at close range
  5. shoot target at close range
  6. increase draw weight and distance
What is missing from the above is (a) a big time gap between 1 and 3 (as I probably shouldn't be doing any shooting for a good while) and (b) some exercises that I could eventually do after some time, but hopefully before I (and after) I get to step 3. Anyone else who has been through something similar and has thoughts, please weigh in.

Talk to your Dr or PT. I'm guessing he would want minimal/restricted mobility for some period of time... Eventually they may introduce gradual resistance moves with Bands, cable pulls or free weights.

Ironically I fractured c7 process and compression t6, some of my best pain relief was weight loss. Not sure if that's an issue for you or not, but I was.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Talk to your Dr or PT. I'm guessing he would want minimal/restricted mobility for some period of time... Eventually they may introduce gradual resistance moves with Bands, cable pulls or free weights.

Ironically I fractured c7 process and compression t6, some of my best pain relief was weight loss. Not sure if that's an issue for you or not, but I was.
Thank you. Surprisingly my neurosurgeon said that most patients who undergo this procedure don't require any PT. I had been to PT before seeing the surgeon, so I can go back to them - but I figured I would check here to see what folks might have to offer that's specific to archery. Yes, I am going to defer to the doctor or PT as to the timing for any exercises, etc. I've been through enough and don't want to let my anxiousness mess up the long-term.

Post-surgery I have zero pain, which is a blessing. I had been fortunate to lose a good bit of weight before this problem - a combination of a heavy protein diet and not being able to taste anything (from a TBI).

I can't help you on the actual physical rehab, that's past my pay grade....

However I really don't like this idea of blind bale. Target panic comes from watching pin float. If you are going to practice I'd be shooting a big target at close range. Make it stupid simple to hold in the middle.

The issue is with having the pin in the target and not punching the trigger, or punching the release, or whatever mechanism you use. Make it easy, make it comfortable. Shoot 25# and sit in the bullseye and execute the shot. Not having the sight mounted or not having your eyes open won't fix it when it's for real. Spend time shooting the way you will, just make it stupid easy.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I can't help you on the actual physical rehab, that's past my pay grade....

However I really don't like this idea of blind bale. Target panic comes from watching pin float. If you are going to practice I'd be shooting a big target at close range. Make it stupid simple to hold in the middle.

The issue is with having the pin in the target and not punching the trigger, or punching the release, or whatever mechanism you use. Make it easy, make it comfortable. Shoot 25# and sit in the bullseye and execute the shot. Not having the sight mounted or not having your eyes open won't fix it when it's for real. Spend time shooting the way you will, just make it stupid easy.
Based on my memory of the article (!), I think the author’s point is to start from scratch and become comfortable with all of the steps of shooting, and that the blind bale permits one to focus on the draw, hold and release without worrying about the target. Then he recommends moving to your recommendation. I’m not saying he’s right, just that he’s suggesting a building block approach.

bpctcb

WKR
I had my C5-6-7 fused in Feb/March of 2019. I recall starting physical therapy a month after surgery. The physical therapist (physical terrorist!) worked me like a sled dog. Lots of shoulder exercises; same as I did before my surgery. I rehabbed extensively for 3 months. I didn’t shoot my 60# bow until October but I believe it wouldn’t have been any problem to shoot it after the 3 months of rehab needed.

I’d suggest doing your rehab and talk to your PT about shooting your bow. If you don’t want to wait to start shooting until your rehab ends then I’d suggest shooting a 25-30# bow to start with. Let any pain be your guide as to how much you can handle.

Best of luck to you in your healing and shooting.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I had my C5-6-7 fused in Feb/March of 2019. I recall starting physical therapy a month after surgery. The physical therapist (physical terrorist!) worked me like a sled dog. Lots of shoulder exercises; same as I did before my surgery. I rehabbed extensively for 3 months. I didn’t shoot my 60# bow until October but I believe it wouldn’t have been any problem to shoot it after the 3 months of rehab needed.

I’d suggest doing your rehab and talk to your PT about shooting your bow. If you don’t want to wait to start shooting until your rehab ends then I’d suggest shooting a 25-30# bow to start with. Let any pain be your guide as to how much you can handle.

Best of luck to you in your healing and shooting.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, both for the advice and well wishes. I’ve had a bit of a backslide on some nerve and arm pain, but I’m hoping it’s part of the healing process…. I see the doctor on Wed for my 2 week checkup, so fingers crossed.

The doctor said the sudden jolt was the basis for holding me to 3 months-ish for the bow and firearm. But he hinted it could be shorter (or longer). I’ve been thinking though about your idea for a low poundage bow. I may reach out to my bow guy to see if he has a loaner, or what it would cost to take one of my current bows down to the minimum draw weight, but I’m open to any recommendations.