Spine Gurus - Help Wanted

BigWoods

WKR
Well my new Mathews Traverse should be here in about 2 weeks and I'm honing in on how to build my arrows. At the recommendation of several here I ordered in some Beman ICS Hunter Classics with a 300 Spine at 9.5 gpi.

Having seen some speed tests showing that the bow is rather efficient with heavier arrows and that bows tend to tune with fixed broadheads well in the ~275fps range, I am hoping to build my arrows right around 500gr.

The plan at this point is to cut the arrows somewhere in the 28-29" range with 3 - 2" blazers and a standard nock. I have some 100gr brass inserts on order. I plan to use VPA 3 blade fixed non-vented broadheads in 100gr for big game (deer and black bear...and maybe moose if I draw a tag here in NH).

With the Traverse maxed out (most seem to pull about 71#) and drawing 29", should this setup have a workable spine?

Bonus question; the arrows come with straight fletching - Is this something I should plan on promptly switching out for helical/offset?

Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm really beginning to think that "spine" is the new "FOC" thing to obsess over. I personally don't think it's as critical as most make it out to be. I currently shoot a PSE Freak at 75lbs at 32 1/2" draw with 30" arrows and I can tune 300's, 250's, and 200's in that bow, even 300's with 75gr brass inserts. And I shoot fixed blade BH's frequently out to 90 yards.

Not a spine guru but I'd say 300s will be perfect. I would refletch but don't think it's necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm really beginning to think that "spine" is the new "FOC" thing to obsess over.

I think it's just an inevitability as people try to increase their FOC and/or their arrow weight in general, without turning their arrow into a rubber band.