Spine help

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
just got a new-to-me Bowtech Insanity CPXL. 72 lb draw. arrow length will be 27.5". i would like to shoot 175 or 200 up front.

I just spoke to Black Eagle and they recommend a 200 spine arrow. does that seem right? i'm obviously not the expert here and ideally i would love to build a few different arrows and play with configuration to really dial it in but i also have a wife that watches the check book... also the 200 spine only gives me a couple options of arrows that aren't as "middle of the road" on price as i was hoping.

NYSKIER

WKR
I just took a look at their spine chart and for the specs you are saying I'd rather go with the 250 spine. I think it would be better to be a bit overspinned. This is just one of those things that everyone has a different opinion on you really just have to shoot some arrows and see what happens although that's tough with your wife watching the budget. Hopefully some other guys can chime in

I'm running a .250 spine carnivore on 72# 345 IBO bow with 29" draw. Only standard inserts with 125 up front I think it's 27 3/4 c/c. I tried 300 and I was getting weak spine.

I can see running .200 spine with 200 grain upfront.

Arrows tested true to spine.

Any reason not to run a heavier spine?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I think optimal spine is a pretty wide range. Only downfall I can point out to have a stiffer spine is weight/speed reduction.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
as mentioned i was trying to keep foc up if possible. not losing sleep over it though. even 250 spine isn't terrible because there are more affordable arrow options. the 200 recommendation kinda limits options without decreasing point weight...

i might just go 250 spine with 75 grain inserts and 100 grain head. if i'm seeing signs of being over spined i will throw on some 25 grain collars

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
if i run an Iron Will insert do i have to run a collar? or is there a 50-75 grain 204 insert out there that protects the end of the shaft?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Right. It's different with a stick bow but I have found it's hard to be overspined on a hunting setup with a compound. Only thing is keeping your foc up when using a heavy shaft.
Exact boat I'm currently sailing in

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I use black eagle rampage 300s with 50 gr Easton brass insert and 125 for elk. 29” draw 72 lbs. 330 ibo. tunes great. I may add the 10 gr titanium hit collars just because I like to tinker. Same arrow with 100 gr heads is my choice for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I use black eagle rampage 300s with 50 gr Easton brass insert and 125 for elk. 29” draw 72 lbs. 330 ibo. tunes great. I may add the 10 gr titanium hit collars just because I like to tinker. Same arrow with 100 gr heads is my choice for deer.

which 50 grain easton insert did you use in the rampages?

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, Easton HIT. The come at 75 gr with the option to break off at 50.

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
Btw, started shooting iron will 2 years ago. Shoot with field points out to 60 and super quiet flight.

fatlander

WKR
.200 is unnecessary IMO. I’ve always run .300 with a longer arrow, longer DL and 175 out front with zero issues getting mine to BS tune out to 30.

If you can tune your bow, you’ll be fine with with a .300 and definitely a .250.