Spine inquiry

C.Cook

FNG
I’m curious if anyone has some input on my spine selection. 72# draw weight, 31” draw 30” shaft . Currently shooting a black eagle spartan 300 spine total weight 490 grains. Last season I got it to paper tune but still Wondering if I should be shooting a stiffer spine. I’m hoping someone with similar setup may be able to chime in, but all welcome to comment

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 78# and 31" dl and I shoot a 200 spine x-impact but I have 235gr on the front and 585gr taw so it's a bit different. I would say your walking the line with a 300 with your set up though.

OP
C

C.Cook

FNG
Any giveaways that I’m too stiff, when I try, say a 250?

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion you can't be too stiff with a compound. If it tunes your good and I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting a 250 to tune. Especially if you plan on adding more weight up front.

406unltd

WKR
If your broadheads tuned well and were accurate I’d say your spine was fine where it was. Also guys that will want to dig into this more will want to know more info on the arrows. Like what was your point weight, insert weight, vanes, wrap?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
If your broadheads tuned well and were accurate I’d say your spine was fine where it was. Also guys that will want to dig into this more will want to know more info on the arrows. Like what was your point weight, insert weight, vanes, wrap?

And bow type. Hard to jump off without at least knowing what the lied IBO is.

Any giveaways that I’m too stiff, when I try, say a 250?
If you shoot a 250 through paper , preferably bare shaft and you get a left or right tear, consistently, and your 300s produce a perfect bullet hole, then your probably too stiff. I am not saying that is what will happen, because 250 will probably work, but that is a way you could tell quickly. Or just screw on some fixed broadheads and shoot at 40-60 yards and see what groups better.

dkime

WKR
I’m curious if anyone has some input on my spine selection. 72# draw weight, 31” draw 30” shaft . Currently shooting a black eagle spartan 300 spine total weight 490 grains. Last season I got it to paper tune but still Wondering if I should be shooting a stiffer spine. I’m hoping someone with similar setup may be able to chime in, but all welcome to comment

We need more information on your setup. What bow are you shooting, and what point weight are tou shooting? Modern compounds can bullet hole with vastly underspined and overspined arrows (doesn’t mean that it’s ideal; i can shoot a bare 400 spine through paper with ease), the information about left and right tears being indicative an arrow spine reaction is becoming increasingly less reliable. Most folks will tell you tail left means this and tail right means that but very few can tell you “why” other than that’s what they read on Brand XYZs tune chart. A clean paper tear with a bare shaft tells you more about YOU than it does your arrow. I’m going to make some assumptions and say you could get your 300 to tune just fine, assuming its a moderately efficient bow, and you’re shooting a 100gr head with a standard insert system. Even if you’re arrow proved to be a bit “weak” on a spine software, how do you really know that it is? Insert length and head length also play a large role in all of this. If it tuned last year than it’ll tune this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

C.Cook

FNG
In my opinion you can't be too stiff with a compound. If it tunes your good and I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting a 250 to tune. Especially if you plan on adding more weight up front.
Thanks, I’ll be tinkering with that soon.
We need more information on your setup. What bow are you shooting, and what point weight are tou shooting? Modern compounds can bullet hole with vastly underspined and overspined arrows (doesn’t mean that it’s ideal; i can shoot a bare 400 spine through paper with ease), the information about left and right tears being indicative an arrow spine reaction is becoming increasingly less reliable. Most folks will tell you tail left means this and tail right means that but very few can tell you “why” other than that’s what they read on Brand XYZs tune chart. A clean paper tear with a bare shaft tells you more about YOU than it does your arrow. I’m going to make some assumptions and say you could get your 300 to tune just fine, assuming its a moderately efficient bow, and you’re shooting a 100gr head with a standard insert system. Even if you’re arrow proved to be a bit “weak” on a spine software, how do you really know that it is? Insert length and head length also play a large role in all of this. If it tuned last year than it’ll tune this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im have a 2018 Elite Ritual, as far as my arrow I use 100grain head 29 grain spartan insert and add 35 grains to equal 164 upfront. 3 fletch aae Max stealth about 26g total. The black eagle spartan arrow is 9 gpi. No wrap.