Spine, length and point weight help

andydwyer

WKR
Hey folks, looking for some insight here.

Here's my current setup before I ask my question:
Mathews FX 60lb -- maxed out to 63lbs
(309 IBO)
28" DL
CX 300 (.350 spine)
390gr, 31", 100gr points

I'm shooting a hand-me-down bow setup to get started, and I've lost 2 broadhead so I'm forced to buy some new stuff. So, I thought Id do some research and change things up.

I'm looking to get more weight up front, so I'm planning to cut the arrows down to 27" and put in some weighted inserts. I'm thinking about the lighter Ethics outserts, but i read that there are some inserts that effectively make the arrows shorter (stiffer)? I'm concerned about being under spined. My goal is to have a total arrow weight 425-500 just depending on how they tune.

I plan on getting a field point test kit to see which weight point would work best after I cut everything down and install the new inserts.
Any suggestions on whick ones to look at would be helpful, or really just any advice on this topic without buying all new arrows.

I don't think you're going to be able to run outserts on those arrows. I believe they are a .244 id arrow. You will run a standard insert in those shafts instead of an outsert, outserts are used on smaller diameter shafts. Hopefully you have a good number of those arrows as it's been years since they were made.

With that bow you can probably run a 50 grain insert with 100 grain head on a 27" shaft and be alright. Possibly 125 point weight but I'm not certain. Top hat makes a 60 grain stainless insert that is longer than a standard brass, it will help to stiffen the shaft a little. If you decide to go the route of heavier inserts I'd recommend they get hot melted in. That way you can pull them and use on the next arrows you get, assuming they are the same id. Many of the heavy inserts are in short supply right now fyi.

I wouldn't be all that worried about weight up front, just maybe a heavier arrow depending on what you are chasing. Might be better to just to switch arrows all together.

Hey folks, looking for some insight here.

Here's my current setup before I ask my question:
Mathews FX 60lb -- maxed out to 63lbs
(309 IBO)
28" DL
CX 300 (.350 spine)
390gr, 31", 100gr points

I'm shooting a hand-me-down bow setup to get started, and I've lost 2 broadhead so I'm forced to buy some new stuff. So, I thought Id do some research and change things up.

I'm looking to get more weight up front, so I'm planning to cut the arrows down to 27" and put in some weighted inserts. I'm thinking about the lighter Ethics outserts, but i read that there are some inserts that effectively make the arrows shorter (stiffer)? I'm concerned about being under spined. My goal is to have a total arrow weight 425-500 just depending on how they tune.

I plan on getting a field point test kit to see which weight point would work best after I cut everything down and install the new inserts.
Any suggestions on whick ones to look at would be helpful, or really just any advice on this topic without buying all new arrows.
I would buy the archers advantage software and input your arrow build and bow to get the correct spine. This will take some of the guess work out.

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
Thanks for the input, Billy Goat. Yeah, I'm just planning to use up the 20 arrows I have. Good point on the hot melt -- I'll be changing things up eventually. Planning to get a more modern bow once I run low on arrows.

Right now I'm just looking at MI whitetail, but hope to get out west at some point. I think by that time I'll be investing in a new bow and arrow setup.

Should I just get field points in various weight to start testing, or throw the inserts in and test from there?

sndmn11

WKR
I don't think you're going to be able to run outserts on those arrows. I believe they are a .244 id arrow. You will run a standard insert .

Might be better to just to switch arrows all together.

I agree to just start over with a new shaft.

I think this Ethics insert is correct for a .24x ID "standard" shaft https://ethicsarchery.com/collectio...46-125-to-200-gn-12-pk?variant=12429397983255

@aaandy since you have 20, I'd buy the ethics, not cut initially, hot melt them in, and shoot bar shafts next to fletched. If you find them underlined, cut to 125 or 150. From there cut the length 1/2" at a time.

MattB

WKR
I really wouldn't get too hung up on adding a bunch of weight up front. It is the chic thing to do on this website but IMO the benefits are marginal and there is no free lunch - and frankly none of the best bowhunters I know give two craps about FOC. They just go and kill stuff with arrows that look pretty much like the ones you already have set up.

OR Archer

WKR
Axis 340 cut to 28” with a 50gr brass insert and 100 gr head. It’ll hit your target weight and better yet tune and shoot well from that bow.

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
I agree to just start over with a new shaft.

I think this Ethics insert is correct for a .24x ID "standard" shaft https://ethicsarchery.com/collectio...46-125-to-200-gn-12-pk?variant=12429397983255

@aaandy since you have 20, I'd buy the ethics, not cut initially, hot melt them in, and shoot bar shafts next to fletched. If you find them underlined, cut to 125 or 150. From there cut the length 1/2" at a time.
So you're saying to just get the ethics inserts and start shooting and adjusting? Wouldn't 250gr on the front of a 30" .350 spine arrow be way too much?

I think I'll probably end up close to what OR Archer suggested, but use my current arrows cut to a proper length.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I'll be able to find some of those top hat inserts 🤞

sndmn11

WKR
So you're saying to just get the ethics inserts and start shooting and adjusting? Wouldn't 250gr on the front of a 30" .350 spine arrow be way too much?

I think I'll probably end up close to what OR Archer suggested, but use my current arrows cut to a proper length.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I'll be able to find some of this stuff 🤞

Probably, but it takes quicker than a piss to shoot, analyze, and cut. I have always approached arrows as having a target weight and then making the arrow fly with length adjustments. If you are the typical 7-11gr per inch, you can give yourself a +/- 25gr goal window and 4" of shaft to work with.

peterk123

WKR
I agree with the consensus regarding not worrying about more weight. I am shooting a Realm X 29 inch draw at 60 pounds or so. I use gold tip Hunter XT 340s with 100 grain broadheads. All I care about is that they fly true and that I can match my 100 grain broadheads to my field points. It makes no difference what 100 grain broadhead I use, they all fly the same. So I know I am good. Consistency when shooting is all I worry about.

Wapack

FNG
I think your current set up is probably getting you in the in the mid to high 250 FPS range. I’m not sure it would be advantageous to further reduce your speed? Cut a couple down and see if you think the trajectory is doable 🤷🏻‍♂️ Spine wise I think 150 up front will be the upper limit when cut to 27. Depending on nock and vane set up that would put you at around 400ish grains. Depending on your rest (and comfort zone) you might be able to cut them shorter as well. I’m 28.25 DL and I cut my shafts at 26.

Wapack

FNG
oops I just realized this is a few months old I’m sure you have already sorted this out. Sorry I’m a new guy!

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
May as well update then!

I tried 150 and 200gr up front on 27" arrows and 200 shot well at 20 yards, but my trajectory less than desirable at 40. I like ground hunting, which I think makes my shots a little longer and more obstructed so flatter shooting is a bonus. So I ended up sticking with my old arrow setup until I can upgrade to a more modern 70lb bow. Looking at a halon 32...

The high foc thing is cool, but I think aiming well is good enough. Got a couple nice pass-throughs this year.

Last edited: