Spine opinion (on the bubble)

feanor

WKR
Just wanted a few opinions on my setup. I'm currently shooting gold tip hunter xts 340 spine with 100 grain field points, 65 lbs out of a Halon 32 and I've got a 27.5 arrow length. IBO is under 315. As the chart shows for gold tip, Im right on the bubble. Would I technically be underspined shooting 400s? I have no reason to switch really, other than a good deal on 400s on camofire =)

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Yeah the 340s shoot well with my broadheads. I would tend to agree with you. Tuning has been fine with them. I guess I just wonder being on the edge of those two spines if it makes a drastic difference.

Zac

WKR
I've seen those same arrows on camofire. I don't think it's worth the risk personally. If you're on the bubble then you could go stiffer, but not the opposite. I guess if you wanted to decrease your poundage you could make it work.

I always need to go stiff. I have had too many problems with weak spine. It could be my form, however I haven't found a drawback from stiff for me in a compound unless you are looking for speed.

Speed has its own drawbacks.

Edit :. To clarify what I quickly wrote I'm referring to a hunting setup where I'm shooting broadheads. Different for field/target setup.

Last edited:
I asked a similar question a few moths back. Consensus from some pretty sharp archery folks was go stiffer. It has worked out fine.

406unltd

WKR
Screw the charts. If the broadheads hit good from 0 to your max distance then that’s all that matters in my opinion.