Spine question for Axis Hexx

JAC357

FNG
I've been shooting Axis 340's with 50 up front, but the FOC isn't great and to get it at 15% ish at 29''/65lbs would get me slower than I'd like.

The Hexx arrows seem promising, but I'm confused about the spine.

Would a 330 Hexx at 26'' (I've been told with a Hamskea I can go 3'' less than draw length for arrows, I'm currently at 27'' with a QAD) and a 125 grain head/75 insert be underspined? I know it would be fine with a 340, is the 330 the same stiffness?

Thanks in advance

There's usually some variation. A 340 shaft might be .355 or it could be .325.

A 350 could be .370-.330 in some instances and different brands.

A 330 should be slightly stiffer, but likely pretty close to the same.

I don't see the point of changing anything around just to up your foc tho, but you can do whatever you like.

The three digit model number is the amount, in thousandths of an inch, that the shaft bends when a 1.94 lb test weight is hung from the center of a 28" span of shaft. So a 330 Hexx bends 10/1000" less than a 340 Axis and is thus slightly stiffer. That's a very small difference, and for all practical purposes I would say 330 and 340 shafts are interchangeable (from a spine perspective).

As Billy Goat mentioned, the listed spine is a nominal number. There will be some variation above/below nominal spine from shaft to shaft (and some radial spine variation within a single shaft). Black Eagle is the only manufacturer I know of that actually advertises a spine tolerance (±0.010" per dozen).

I personally wouldn't change shafts just to chase more FOC, and I'd be concerned about the durability of a lightweight, thin-walled shaft like a Hexx.

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I chased FOC with the HEXX with some pretty terrible results on elk regarding durability and penetration. I think a stronger shaft and accepting a higher overall arrow weight is a better option.

After my experience with the HEXX I am going to a 570 grain setup. However, I only elk hunt with my bow these days.