Spine question

MT257

WKR
Vxr 31.5 with 28” mods and 70lbs. Will Easton 5mm axis 340 be fine spine wise? Plan on 100grain head and c to c of right at 28.25”.

Last edited:
Worst case try a shop with a range and shoot the 340 and 300 for groups. When in doubt spine up, and dont be afraid to cut arrows longer, that bow is plenty fast.

I would go with the 300s. With my VXR 31.5 at 28" with 70lb limbs cranked down I got 100gr QAD Exodus to fly to 80 yard on 340 spine FMJs. It took many fine rest adjustments and it was pretty sensitive to grip pressure. I'm building out some 300s for this year and hope they will be more forgiving with a 125gr cut on contact.

I shot them out of my VXR for a while with those same specs. I think they were about 26” with 50gr brass inserts and a four fletch flex fletch 360’s. They shot good and were very stable with that much vane.

I ended up going with 330 injexions cut about the same with a little less vane.

I also shot the 340 axis out of my vertix. I think you can make them work. But you might need to cut them a little shorter. 300 might be easier to keep the arrow weight up.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I shot them out of my VXR for a while with those same specs. I think they were about 26” with 50gr brass inserts and a four fletch flex fletch 360’s. They shot good and were very stable with that much vane.

I ended up going with 330 injexions cut about the same with a little less vane.
Did you build your arrows yourself? I ask as I decided on the RIP TKO and brass inserts. I installed the insert with the tool given in packet and had two of the inserts slip far enough down the inside the insert dried where I cannot screw in a FP. it just sits in the shaft.

Did you build your arrows yourself? I ask as I decided on the RIP TKO and brass inserts. I installed the insert with the tool given in packet and had two of the inserts slip far enough down the inside the insert dried where I cannot screw in a FP. it just sits in the shaft.
Yes. I build my own. I put mine in with a Walmart craft section glue stick and dunk them in water to cool them down as soon as their in. Or I’ve used something that sets up a little faster.

if you use some kind of slow cure epoxy, lay them flat after you install the inserts.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
Yes. I build my own. I put mine in with a Walmart craft section glue stick and dunk them in water to cool them down as soon as their in. Or I’ve used something that sets up a little faster.

if you use some kind of slow cure epoxy, lay them flat after you install the inserts.
This was my first time with the Brass inserts, never had issues with the other HIT inserts. I thought they were horizontal they cured laying on the dinner table. Just found it odd only some of them did this others were fine?

This was my first time with the Brass inserts, never had issues with the other HIT inserts. I thought they were horizontal they cured laying on the dinner table. Just found it odd only some of them did this others were fine?
Weird. I’ve not tried them in a victory shaft. I wonder if the tolerances just weren’t as tight? Use some sort of hot melt. And then you can remove them and reuse them if you want to.

Jbxl20

WKR
I just picked up some axis 300 match grades and like the way they are shooting. 29” draw 28” shafts carbon to carbon. 50 grain brass inserts. Total arrow weight with 100grain head is 488 with 4 fletch Q2i fusion ll vanes. With 4 AAE max vanes and TAC wraps weight was 504.