Spitfire Maxx

This was a spitfire max and Easton axis the threads snapped off in the insert, I think it was a combination of a bad shot on the shoulder and the HIT system but it did break the threads off, I know a few guys that have killed dozens of animals with them and no issues, just my luck...6D70C256-054B-4294-BC27-58563AE423A4.jpeg

I have shot them since they came out. And regular spitfires before that. I have bent them, broken blades on rocks after exit. Never had an issue on game animals. Definitely not the toughest thing out there but if placement is good it is good enough. I have one elk that I credit to the big cutting diameter. I ranged a tree I thought it was walking out at but it turns out it was 8 yards further. Basically hit in the brisket. Behind the leg, but the bottom of the cut almost layed it open all the way across. Hit about 2" from the bottom of the chest. Found the elk 80 yards away. I have been playing with a lot of other heads but haven't found a reason yet not to shoot them.

Nothing but good results on whitetail. Plenty of pass thrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I havent had a single failure with them on a couple dozen whitetail kills. Have bent some blades but havent otherwise damaged a head that didnt hit rock on the pass thru and that includes multiple busted shoulder joints. Penetration is better in my experience with the standard spitfire but both wreck stuff in short order if I do my part.

Scoot

WKR
I've shot dozens of whitetails and muleys with them and had GREAT results. I'd never consider them for bigger boned critters like elk or moose though. But, big holes (and two of them unless I've hit the off-side shoulder), and great blood trails for me. I've been using them since they came out.

nphunter

WKR
I would opt for a rear deploy. Much easier to open according to the testing I’ve done. Nothing scientific just shooting into targets with multiple heads and the spitfires were the hardest to open.

nphunter

WKR
Tested, hypodermics, trypans, g5 T3, Dead Meat, spitfire Maxx, Killzones, and regular spitfires.

nphunter

WKR
We did the testing inside at 10 yards shooting through a piece of double layered cardboard with a Broadhead target behind. I had my son shooting at 28lbs of draw weight because I wanted to see how they did with a small amount of energy. The spitfires were only opened half way before they hit the foam. The Rages were fully opened by the second piece of cardboard and cut the deepest in the foam. The G5 heads opened partially in the cardboard but not all three blade every time.

We did the testing inside at 10 yards shooting through a piece of double layered cardboard with a Broadhead target behind. I had my son shooting at 28lbs of draw weight because I wanted to see how they did with a small amount of energy. The spitfires were only opened half way before they hit the foam. The Rages were fully opened by the second piece of cardboard and cut the deepest in the foam. The G5 heads opened partially in the cardboard but not all three blade every time.

This testing was all done at 28 lbs.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
This testing was all done at 28 lbs.?

Yes, I wanted to see how they reacted with a small amount of energy which is closer to what a person would have at longer distances. I don’t really feel Ike me shooting my 77lb Turbo would have told me much at close range.

nphunter

WKR
That and we were seeing which would work better for him to shoot a turkey with this spring.

...we were seeing which would work better for him to shoot a turkey with this spring.

Other than this or testing performance WAY downrange, I’m not sure the tests tell me much. Glad you’re diving into it though. Please follow-up with us if your son takes a turkey!

I’m not a Rage or 2-blade guy, but I’m considering the Rage No Collar, Thorn, or Sevr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I’m not a Rage or 2-blade guy,...

Me either- I dislike both a lot.

Plano, no offense but your testing really doesn't provide much useful info to most people reading this. Sounds like it served your purposes well though. I've done a ton of similar testing for my kids set ups. The results just don't tell you much for rigs with triple the ke. In the dozens of pass throughs I've gotten was I suffering from insufficient energy to open ther blades or get 2 holes?

nphunter

WKR

Plano, no offense but your testing really doesn't provide much useful info to most people reading this. Sounds like it served your purposes well though. I've done a ton of similar testing for my kids set ups. The results just don't tell you much for rigs with triple the ke. In the dozens of pass throughs I've gotten was I suffering from insufficient energy to open ther blades or get 2 holes?

I agree that it’s probably fine with heavier draw bows. I guess all I was getting at is it takes more energy than the other heads to open the blades due to the design. I would shoot the dead meat if I didn’t like the two blade heads, I feel like they are a much better designed head and like the steel farrel instead of the aluminum one.

I generally have a larger entry hole than exit from my spitfires. I think the way they open actually causes a larger hole on entry then with the blades folded all the way back. If that makes sense. I could see having issues on turkeys but I haven't had trouble with light skinned animals like coyotes or turkeys.

Plano, no offense but your testing really doesn't provide much useful info to most people reading this. Sounds like it served your purposes well though. ... The results just don't tell you much for rigs with triple the ke. In the dozens of pass throughs I've gotten was I suffering from insufficient energy to open ther blades or get 2 holes?

Scoot, I completely agree with you. NPHunter did the testing, but it worked for him (and hopefully his son).

In fact, NPHunter, you may consider a lower energy broadhead like the Rage +P, or just a cut-on-contact fixed blade for your son. An 85 grain would be sufficient for turkey.

Anyone shoot the Spitfire Maxx? Any bad experiences?

This was a 22 yard pass-through shot with 100-gr. Spitfire Maxx’s with Trophy Tip (with 10 grains of added weight) from Gold Tip Pro Hunters (.246 ID). Entry hole is smaller than exit.

cf34893aa4a5ac6f47df94d99fc63e97.jpg