Splitting mauls

Mosby

WKR
For the guys that run stoves in their tents, what splitting mauls are you guys bringing to camp for the firewood? I have a small Fiskars but thinking about getting a heavier maul.

For the guys that run stoves in their tents, what splitting mauls are you guys bringing to camp for the firewood? I have a small Fiskars but thinking about getting a heavier maul.
I don't run a stove in my tent, but I have split a lot of firewood. I've used everything from a little hatchet to a 16 lb pie-headed monster maul(the ones that you can literally use the corner on the blunt side to bust a piece). Honestly you cant beat those things for busting knots. But for all round, easy to handle, average wood, I've yet to come across something that beats a Fisker's. The one with a 36" handle and 5 lb head is really sweet. (I used to call it a "ladies maul") I had a competition with 2 guys running a wood splitter and was able to keep up. It wasnt the fastest wood splitter on the planet, but those fiskars are impressive. They did come out with an 8lb. maul, but I've only used one of those for an hour or two.

I sold them for several years and more than once a guy walked in with a busted Fiskars and walked out with a brand new one for free. Fisker's would then send us as a dealer a free one. If I remember right, one guy drove over his and another one got water inside and froze.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Another vote for fiskars. I hardly use anything else with the exception of an Est wing fireside friend for small jobs.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I have the Fiskars 25 inch model that works well for me and I have a couple of nice small axes for kindling. I am thinking about getting the 36" 8 lb maul for larger wood and we should have our bases covered. My son is 6'3 and the 36 inch model seems like the perfect size and weight for a strapping young man to swing and they are on sale at Amazon right now.

tdot

WKR
Gransfors Bruks small splitting axe. I have a large and small. The small is faster and comes to camp. The large is only better in shitty knotty wood.

Beendare

WKR
The Gransfors are great quality axes....but for splitting, I prefer the Teflon coated Gerbers.

Yeah, I know blasphemy right? Take a look, they are built with a bit of a wedge shape...not as much as a true splitting maul...but wider than a std axe....and they slip through wood easily.

I have the small and large version....best splitting axe I've used.

*zap*

WKR
Mauls are great, I have a few. I have a human powered hydraulic bubble jack splitter....works with two handles to lengthen the bubble jack. It is a horizontal unit with a wedge opposite the bubble jack, downside is it needs fairly specific lengths of cut wood. Very stout build. I need to get some pictures of it and post them on here.

I've never brought a splitting maul to camp (use a light GB axe for those duties), but I heat my house with wood and have done all the splitting for the last 10 years with Fiskars. The X25 would be a good camp size, but for regular duty, the X27 (36") is better. They will outsplit both standard hardware store mauls and even the heavy wedge mauls in our wood types.

Didn't realize they made an 8 lb'er now. Might have to check that out.

MThuntr

WKR
Fiskars 8lb splitting maul...split 3 cords of Douglas fir with one this summer. They swing real nice.

tdot

WKR

After re-reading your post, a question. What do you mean by camp? I was assuming base camp, where you have direct access to truck/atv, etc. If you mean backpack basecamp. I would not be dragging a splitting maul in with me.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
After re-reading your post, a question. What do you mean by camp? I was assuming base camp, where you have direct access to truck/atv, etc. If you mean backpack basecamp. I would not be dragging a splitting maul in with me.
[/QUOTE]

I was talking about base camp with a large wood stove. Since you can't carry wood across state lines, I cut and split wood at camp a day or two before the season starts and get a supply of wood built up. I have an x25 and it works great but it is a bit short for my son and if I am buying another, I am thinking about the 8 lb maul with a 36 inch handle. It is an important piece of equipment so I thought I would see what others are using.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
Dammit. This thread just cost me $38. 8#er inbound.
Sorry not Sorry ;).

I accidentally split through a log and hit a rock...totally my fault for not using a splitting block to prevent that. The metal is easy to touch up with a file