Splitting shelter costs with a party

isu22andy

WKR
We have 4 of us going to Montana this year on a hunt and are looking for a shelter. What have you roksliders found best in the past ? All chip in and split something ( wall tent and stove ) or have one guy bite the bullet and buy the shelter one the stove ect. In the past splitting things always seems like a pain (other than a hotel) , but wall tent that sleeps 4 people and a stove isnt a cheap 1 person investment .

Last edited:

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner and I split the cost of a Davis 14 x 16 and the cost of the steel for welding up the stove. I welded the stove and he picked up a few odds and ends. Works for us and if others come along we just have them cover food. I combined a few different ideas for the stove and it works great. Also doubles as our stove for cooking and heating up meals. The more people involved the more headaches.
196e10ebc100f6c6f3e45a326f54fbfb.jpg
57de208dcda9765b6a89cc9a0d4ba96e.jpg
22c981352a2696e6fc3d9cc683b99e99.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That's alot of people split with.
Someone is probably only going to go once and feel they didn't get there money worth.
At most if you really need to cost wise maybe split it with the 1 your closest with and that will most likely to want to keep going.
Are you sure you need that much tent? Vs a few small Coleman tents?
And you need to have the same mindset of how you handle your gear. I could never split anything with my brother or Barrow his stuff unless I just leave all the handling of the product up to him.
Hes just way more finicky with stuff then I am.

FlyGuy

WKR
Wall tents aren’t cheap!

Might be easier for 2 guys to split the cost of a Kifaru tut instead?

You can’t cheat the mountain

Make everyone have/purchase their own gear.

Tents/tarps/stoves/jetboils/4 whelers ect ect.

If they want to come they need to invest on their end to appreciate it and take care of it.

Its the only way to make sure there are no hurt feelings.

Learned this a long time ago.

When I get home from a trip all of my stuff gets set back up and cleaned and dried out and then put away correctly.

I could NEVER trust someone else to do this for me.

Trial153

WKR
Best bet is to have one person bring and quite frankly own it. Partners are pain in ass.

colersu22

WKR
The guy I went elk hunting with last year split a Kifaru 8 man between him, his brother and another friend that they use when they hunt together. It seems to work for them but his brother was butt hurt that he wanted the tipi for our elk hunt and he wasn’t invited.

I have thought about it and I have 2 guys I hunt with a lot and we all get along great that if we split a shelter I wouldn’t see a problem. I’m guessing it really depends on how your relationship is with everyone.

Netherman

WKR
I wouldn't split a shelter with more than one person and even then it depends on how aligned you are in hunting and caring for your gear. I co-own a 16x14 wall tent with my primary hunting buddy and am glad we didn't add more people.

Last year we brought the tent and hunted CO with my brother and MT with his brother and two of his cousins. All 4 of those guys would have kicked in money for a wall tent, but sharing would have been an issue. Half of the MT crew went for two weeks and were there the week we were in CO. If we had all been equal owners there would have been an argument over where the tent went.

On the caring for your gear front I think being aligned is key. My buddy is worse than I am, but not too far off. We both know this and try to meet in the middle. I try to keep the MFers to a minimum and realize it isn't a collectable and he tries to take care of it better than he typically would. I could see this being a huge issue if you are miles apart on general care of equipment.

4 guys? Will the 4 hunters use it together enough to justify splitting the purchase? Who keeps and maintains the shelter? Who can use the shelter? Just the original 4? No guests? What if one of the 4 wants to use it with his brother? What if someone wants to sell out? Think of it as 4 guys going together to buy a boat or a camper and you can see what might happen.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
my hunting partner owns most of the big ticket items...shelter, UTV, trailer, etc. I have it made up in my mind that i will be the one that volunteers to go get water for camp, get the fire started and do the PITA chores at the end of a long day just because i have less $$$ invested in the hunt. sweat equity i guess. i'll always pitch in when it's all over too cleaning ice chests, vehicles, etc. We have a running joke between us that he sure is glad i train so hard so i can carry his food for him on the mountain. there's a little truth to everything i reckon because he knows i'm a work horse.

not everyone is like that though- just the way i was raised. i figure since i can't put as much funds into the hunt, i will balance the scale with elbow grease. it's all about finding someone you can work well with.

my hunting partner owns most of the big ticket items...shelter, UTV, trailer, etc. I have it made up in my mind that i will be the one that volunteers to go get water for camp, get the fire started and do the PITA chores at the end of a long day just because i have less $$$ invested in the hunt. sweat equity i guess. i'll always pitch in when it's all over too cleaning ice chests, vehicles, etc. We have a running joke between us that he sure is glad i train so hard so i can carry his food for him on the mountain. there's a little truth to everything i reckon because he knows i'm a work horse.

not everyone is like that though- just the way i was raised. i figure since i can't put as much funds into the hunt, i will balance the scale with elbow grease. it's all about finding someone you can work well with.

I'd say your the minority for actually recognizing that and stepping up tho. Good on you.

Heck OP I make everyone drive there own vehicles at least to the nearest town. That way if they wanna vag out they can head on home and I'll do my thing.
There always welcome to stay in my camp, but I couldn't really imagine splitting a piece of gear.
I'd just use smaller/cheaper shelters for this trip if the cost is just to prohibitive.
On one hand I love a classic wall tent in late season.
But man they can also really be alot of work and a pain.
Maybe check out a kodiak canvas or spring bar.
Comp specialties usually has best prices on kodiak.
Maybe 2 of you could each buy a 10x10.

No freaking way. Unless your idea of fun is a 4 way debate over when something gets used, where it gets used, who gets it if you split up, how you pay for it, how you pay people who want out of it, how it should be stored, and on and on. FOOK THAT! I'd much rather sleep alone in a $100 walmart special and worry about killing a deer than spend 10 minutes arguing over a tent owned by 4 people.

Best bet is for one person to buy. If that person has decent humans for hunting partners they will bring food, beer, pay for gas, etc to show appreciation for the guy providing the shelter.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Time share tent, no thanks. I take especially good care of my gear and most will not upkeep to my standards. I don't even lend out things over $150 to anyone.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Perhaps one person could purchase with the other crowd fund it, then the buyer can slowly pay them back over time if the steep cost is the issue. Or one person purchase and each person that uses pays a fee each time they come along.

Or, you could look for a used tent to bring down costs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a 16x20 Davis tent a few years back that was gonna be a 3 way split. I bought a stove for it, conduit for internal frame etc.. I've seen about $150 bucks from the other guys. One guy got butt hurt during that first year and hasn't been back. Needless to say, when or if I decide to sell it I'm keeping every damn penny of it. Want to narrow down your hunting partners quick? Split a wall tent with them then listen to the complaining.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was in this situation about a year ago. My brother in law and father in law wanted to do a three way split last summer. I was against it as we sometimes hunt the same season and I didn't want to fight for it. They tried telling me multiple times that they deserved to be apart of buying it. I said no and that I wanted it for my own so I can use it how I please. The extra money is worth not having the hassle of dealing with other people.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
No possible way I would be splitting the cost of a shelter with someone else. Shared hunting gear never works well in any way.

OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
Luxe octopeak is calling my name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I must have better hunting partners than everyone here. I wouldnt think twice about splitting something like that with them. I tend to be the poorest one of the group so I dont have much to offer my partners but if they wanted to take any of my stuff on a hunt I would hand it over no questions asked. They are the same way.