Sportsman’s Warehouse sales Grew by 41.8% Last Quarter

3forks

WKR
Sportsman’s Warehouse Delivers Blowout Quarter Amid Pandemic
Posted by Thomas J. Ryan | Jun 5, 2020 | Feature, SGB Executive
Sportsman’s Warehouse Delivers Blowout Quarter Amid Pandemic

By Thomas J. Ryan
Faced with surging demand for firearms and ammunition, Sportsman’s Warehouses reported sales in the first quarter ended May 2 grew 41.8 percent, to $246.8 million. The gains would have been even stronger if not for out-of-stocks across firearms, ammunition and fishing.
Part the reasons for the shortages were supply chain interruptions with products sourced from China, primarily related to camping and fishing. Jon Barker, CEO, added on a conference call with analysts, “As China-related interruption has largely subsided, however, the disruption to our supply chain due to COVID-19 has continued into the second quarter within certain pockets of our business.”
The supply chain disruption was compounded by surging demand, creating shortages in firearms, ammunition and fishing.
“We believe the exceptional demand to date is been driven by multiple factors, including the COVID-19 situation, the exit of competitors in our core categories and the current election cycle,” said Barker. “However, parsing out the exact contribution of each factor is not possible.”
Firearms Comps Ahead 65 Percent
Same-store sales for Q1 increased by 28.6 percent. Firearms and ammunition were up 65 percent and 90 percent respectively, while NICS checks were up 56 percent for the quarter. Barker said the ability of Sportsman’s Warehouses’ sales gains to significantly exceed NICS checks “gives us confidence that we are not only growing sales, but we are continuing to take market share in our core categories.”
Starting in April, camping and fishing also rebounded nicely for the quarter, increasing over the prior-year period by 16.6 percent and 8.5 percent, respectively on a same-store basis. Apparel and footwear “were down materially” in the quarter
o.jpg
Sportsman’s Warehouse was able to keep the majority of its stores open throughout the crisis. Additional cleaning and sanitizing, plastic barriers at registers and face masks for associates were among the measures added to support a safe shopping environment.
Ship-to-home, BOPIS (buy online, pick up in-store) and recently-launched curbside pickup helped support an over 200 percent hike in online sales.
Barker said that due to the Q1 surge in demand, many customers entered a Sportsman’s Warehouse store or ordered from its website for the first time. He said, “This gives us the opportunity to expose newcomers to Sportsman’s Warehouse brand and to our extensive product offering. We believe this bodes well for developing repeat customers by re-engaging across new categories, building our loyalty program and customer database and ultimately growing our business.”
Gross margins were 30.3 percent for the quarter, a decline of 80 basis points. Product and channel mix caused a 250 basis point decline in gross margin due to a higher proportion of revenue coming from firearms and ammunition and more sales volume coming from e-commerce. This was partially offset by higher vendor incentives and improved product margins, which positively impacted gross margin by 120 basis points and 50 basis points, respectively.
SG&A expense decreased approximately 370 basis points to 30.5 percent. A store closing in the quarter resulted in a non-cash impairment charge of $1 million. Additional payroll expense of $6.5 million was also incurred, including $1.1 million of hero pay for frontline associates.
The remaining increase in SG&A expense was primarily due to minimum wage increases and new store growth. Rent expense increased approximately $1.6 million, primarily due to new store openings.
Inventories Drop 10 Percent
Inventory was down 9.6 percent on a per-store basis compared to the prior year. On a net basis, inventories were up 3.4 percent due to the addition of 14 stores year-over-year. Five to seven stores are expected to open in 2020, down from eight to 12 in a typical year, due to permitting and construction delays.
Sportsman’s Warehouse said its liquidity remains strong as it ended the quarter with $118.4 million in outstanding borrowings on its credit line, compared to $141.6 million at the end of Q119. The reduction was achieved despite holding an incremental $20 million of cash on its balance sheet in order to support flexibility. Robert Julian, CFO, said on the call, “We will remain financially disciplined as we limit discretionary expenses, reduce our debt load and preserve our liquidity to effectively navigate these uncertain times.”
Election Year Seen As Potential Growth Driver
The company is no longer providing guidance due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19. Sportsman’s Warehouse also said that despite the strong top-line growth, it will continue to take a relatively conservative approach to managing inventory, expenses and liquidity in 2020 and beyond.
Baker said, “In summary, we couldn’t be more excited with the momentum in our core business coming out of Q1. In the near-term, we view the upcoming election cycle as a potential catalyst for our business. Furthermore, we believe COVID-19 is changing consumer behavior and motivating people to spend more time outdoors. Our products did exceptionally well in an environment in which consumers are spending more time We will continue to work with our vendors to ensure we have our stores and websites stocked with the products our customers demand.
“In the medium-term, there is significant uncertainty in the economic environment and we are monitoring this evolving situation very closely. In the long-term, we believe we are uniquely positioned to capitalize on market share opportunities and changing consumer behavior to become a larger and more profitable company. With these factors as the backdrop, we continue to make progress on our growth initiatives, including enhancing our online platform and expanding our store footprint.”

Was in one last weekend to grab a couple of lures and I was surprised how little inventory they had. Anything outdoors related is selling like crazy from bikes to camp trailers.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Do not forget Kayaks!!!! Holy balls!! I feel like every pickup in Az heading up north has Kayaks in them.

Good for Sportsmans Warehouse. Stu tried to grow that company WAAAYYY to fast and almost lost the whole the damned thing.

Gotholga

FNG
The one I went to in Stockton, CA was empty besides the gun counter two long lines. One for guns And ammo while the other for pick ups only.

Not surprised by the gun data. My neighbor here in So Cal has done all his legwork to buy a handgun but the problem now is he can't find one here. BPS and our local sporting goods stores as well as my friend with a FFL can't find the Berreta he wants in 9mm. I guess the same issue with a Defender 12 gauge. Crazy times...

I have wored part time at a whitewater and touring kayak Shop for the last 15 years. We are located in SW CO. Our internet sales in May Alone exceeded All of 2019’s sales!
I’ve never seen the showroom so empty.
we will not be able to replenish our stock of Jackson, hobie, or perception fishing kayaks til August. All the manufacturers are struggling to fill demand after shut down.
On another note, every single mtn bike under $1500 in town is sold out.
Guns here are non-existent. Luckily I have way too many already! Or do I? Never said no to a new platform.
it’s a “good” problem for everyone.
Lots of out-of-state and local buyers said they cancelled big family trip plans and are spending the money on things they can do close to home or at least within our country

bud

FNG
Good point nutsknr. I never thought of that. Now if the excise would be applied on backpacking and other outdoor users gear. You know, the people who want to save the environment and wildlife. But fight like hell to keep excise taxes off their gear....

Reactions: AZ8

Spike elk

WKR
Hopefully the fishing gear is re-stocked soon. I couldn't even find swivels last week. I would not hold my breath for ammo, however I did notice that my local SW had a fair amount of reloading gear.

Glad to see this. Dick's sporting goods probably wishes they still had their firearms section about now. Always liked sportsman's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
We were in the Sportsmans in Boise yesterday and it's so empty on inventory that we were getting concerned they were going out of business and not replenshing their inventories. We asked an employee and they said exactly this that they've been selling so much stuff. They also noted that their opening so many new stores and spreading an already thin inventory even thinner..

jmcd22

WKR
We were in the Sportsmans in Boise yesterday and it's so empty on inventory that we were getting concerned they were going out of business and not replenshing their inventories. We asked an employee and they said exactly this that they've been selling so much stuff. They also noted that their opening so many new stores and spreading an already thin inventory even thinner..

I had the same feeling...looked reminiscent of when they almost went out of business a few years back. I drove out to the Nampa store and they were just as empty.

pcmem

FNG
Might have to make a trip to one. The local store closed a few years back. Really miss it.

Idahoguy

FNG
My brother in law works there. Cabelas bought then out and take over this year. Not sure if it is staying sportmans or if they are changing to cabelas.