Spot and stalk Camo patterns

If camo matters for rifle hunting, how are all of these people killing deer wearing their big orange vests? Camo pattern isn't going to change the outcome of a hunt, especially a rifle hunt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The guys in blaze probably are not bow hunting for trophy bucks or bulls at 10-20 yards.

Yes, we all know deer don't see blaze orange like we do.

I think camo does matter, even for rifle hunting. One of the most important aspects is to match the color hue of your camo to that of the environment. 90% of camo is too dark for western environments, at distance you appear as a dark silhouette.
I like the original Sitka camo and if it’s very light color environment the Sitka duck Camo. The duck camo is very light colored and blends in great in areas that are yellow/ grassy.
I wear my Sitka Waterfowl in corn feilds in late season.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love the way the Sitka's subalpine looks in the fall and it makes you feel invisible when elk and mule deer cant find you.

TaylerW

FNG
Not sure how much it really matters, but I had experience that made me a huge believer in sitka. Was covering country and walked through a timber patch. Bedded buck and I saw each other at the same time. He just watched me until i shot him.

I had the wind perfect and the sun was in his eyes though....

DIBBS

FNG
I looked into the Browning Hells Canyon line for western hunting. Haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet but it’s definitely a lighter brown that would be good for more open sage and grass country. The only stuff I found seemed a little loud though.

ColoradoV

WKR
I use solids when I can so when around town I dont look like a hunter. Got a lot of animals in solid browns and greens.. Still ware solids every day of scouting.

Then had a buddy I respect tell me I stuck out and looked like a coyote above timberline hunting in brown pants. So I changed to the sub alpine from sitka.

Been a lot of advancements in hunting all over the board and the change I made was for the better.

I use solids when I can so when around town I dont look like a hunter. Got a lot of animals in solid browns and greens.. Still ware solids every day of scouting.

Then had a buddy I respect tell me I stuck out and looked like a coyote above timberline hunting in brown pants. So I changed to the sub alpine from sitka.

Been a lot of advancements in hunting all over the board and the change I made was for the better.
I might stand out in town if I DON'T wear camo :). It's so common here in NE Iowa it doesn't get a second look.

If I'm wearing Sitka or something like ASAT it probably will draw some looks however.

Wrench

WKR
I'm a fan of the sit still and be quiet pattern. I've killed a truck load of critters in blue plaid and solids. I own a fortune in patterns....but movement is what gets you busted by the eyes and scent by the nose.

thefever

FNG
I basically only give a crap about camo on top, not on bottoms. But the type of camo to me doesn't really matter on looks, they'll see movement way before your camo pattern matters. As for bottoms, I like Prana's for early/mid season hunting for the comfort and price. Up top, have meriono next to your skin, then camo on top of that. That's my 2 cents. Good luck in South Dakota!

I'm a fan of the sit still and be quiet pattern. I've killed a truck load of critters in blue plaid and solids. I own a fortune in patterns....but movement is what gets you busted by the eyes and scent by the nose.

This is a spot and stalk thread...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zerowind

FNG
Optifade/Fusion blends in well for the hilly terrain out West. Any surplus designs with greens and browns like Alpenflage will work for forest.

Dinger

WKR
Solids....had enough spooky high pressured deer (hunted 24/7/365) within spitting distance to have me re-think my needs. Solids also allow for hunting gear to pull double duty outside of days afield.

I purchased the Sub Alpine before my January 2018 open country deer hunt. After Sept 18 elk hunt, and now another Jan open country mule deer hunt, I'm sold. Been closer for longer, and that's all I need. Mind you, the desert colors are alot duller than the elkwoods too. A 1 size fits all ;)

Gumbo

WKR
Movement is what kills you most of the time, not the pattern. I will say I agree with others who wouldn't want to be wearing a real dark pattern though, or black.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I completely agree on the movement point. For those who think that camo *could* make a difference, I'm also interested in this thread for an AZ mule/coues hunt next year. I've got Sitka Elevated and Kuiu Vias, and one piece of FirstLite Fusion outerwear (the Woodbury), but I'm open to other suggestions, especially since I'm in need of some sturdier pants. Sitka is on sale at BlackOvis (sponsored ad). Open Country or Subalpine, or am I good? FWIW, I also really like the FL stuff I've gotten recently - probably more than my Sitka or Kuiu. Thinking about the FL Obsidian, especially since they are merino.

swampokie

WKR
What is the attraction to solids? I don't guess I understand why they made camo if solids are the ticket. Myself I prefer asat or woodland.

bsnedeker

WKR
What is the attraction to solids? I don't guess I understand why they made camo if solids are the ticket. Myself I prefer asat or woodland.
Marketing. They charge more for camo and have us convinced it's necessary. How many camo patterned predators do you see running around north America?

Disclaimer: all my gear is camo!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk