Spot and stalk

Bgoode11

FNG
This has got to be a huge challenge with a bow. Love to see some success pics and any tips you have for getting in close on these critters with archery tackle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Another one. Not the best pic. He just made it into the stunted trees at treeline and collapsed.

Lschloss

FNG
Im also curious what some of the strategies people use are. Seems like quite the challenge. Im planning on giving it a shot this year.

Also curious about spot and stalk tips. I can never clear the distance to shooter bears that aren't young and dumb.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I a hunting blind, car, the PV Farmhouse porch, a fishing cabin as your spot. Don't get to close to the walls. Stick him once and wait.

The first bear I killed with a bow was the BR bear from the hunting blind. Took hours to die, and after he ran off hurt I waited in a cave while the bleed out did the trick. I used a similar strategy at Unnamed Pond in ML. Farmhouse bear is by far the easiest - shoot him from the porch and wait. I've also used fishing cabins at ML and in TWM. I think those are the only bears I've hunted with a bow. My most recent bear kill, I finally got the critical hit roll and he dropped immediately (he also had a giant 39.8kg of meat - definitely the largest bear I've killed). I'm sure others can tell you more, since I only really hunt bears to repair the bear bedroll.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Play the wind of course.

Sometimes you just have to be patient and wait for them to move into a stalkable spot.

If you can ascertain which direction they're going for that last little bit, get there first and wait for them.

Ill be out next weekend trying to find one to let the air out of. So far every bear encounter I’ve had during archery season has been pure luck sitting clearings.

0IxqxIP.jpg

m9Jm4S9.jpg

South slopes in the spring, berry patches in the fall, old burns are ideal places to look both times of year...fawn in distress calls can bring them in to shooting distance, I've also huffed bears in during the rut but be careful with that, they come in ready to scrap.

You may enjoy this!

Stalk them while they are occupied. Wind is crucial. You can get away with surprisingly a lot when it comes to stalking bears.