Spot burners?

Should mods lock posts about specific units/areas?

• Yes

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • No

Votes: 105 75.5%

• Total voters

Rokbar

WKR
I'm assuming most on this site were never "noobs". You just knew right where to go from the get go! Like some mentioned, if you do t won't others to know be mum on it. It's the age of technology. Plus it's not my site, so I'll leave it to the mods to decide. I may not tell a noob what tree to sit at, but I'll give them a general idea of a large area.

Ask away. But I'm not telling anyone "my spot (s)." Neither is anyone who has one. No need for mods to have to babysit.

Ask away. But I'm not telling anyone "my spot (s)." Neither is anyone who has one. No need for mods to have to babysit.

Bunch of tit bags. “He’s giving away MY spot in public hunting areas.”
When season is over, there should be a pic thread showing what we all killed and the unit it was killed in. We’d get to see some of these people have a total fk’ing melt down.

I have different definition of spot burning. I don’t want to see specific drainages names or parking spots but if a unit is a real ball buster with little to no game that is actually accessible then I have no problem seeing someone get helped by telling them not to go to unit x but to check out units x,x and x.

These forums are only worth it because we can share our knowledge and experience that can help steer someone in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
I'm going with yes. It sucks when someone past asking for questions like these and by doing so, you are forced to answer them and give away your secrets. It sucks to have no control over what threads you respond to.

Gobbler36

WKR
I’m sure most of these guys bitching about us wanting to ban the “spot” threads travel and hunt as NR in most instances and likely from eastern states that on this people could give 2 ***** about. So sure it’s no big deal to you to go around blasting unit info in a state which you don’t reside in and come to once to hunt and get your jolly’s off and have no respect for the people that do reside there and hunt there year after year. Because you don’t have the same worry about your Whitetail area being blasted all over forums and people don’t come from every state around to hunt where you do.
All a matter of perspective

CorbLand

WKR
I’m sure most of these guys bitching about us wanting to ban the “spot” threads travel and hunt as NR in most instances and likely from eastern states that on this people could give 2 ***** about. So sure it’s no big deal to you to go around blasting unit info in a state which you don’t reside in and come to once to hunt and get your jolly’s off and have no respect for the people that do reside there and hunt there year after year. Because you don’t have the same worry about your Whitetail area being blasted all over forums and people don’t come from every state around to hunt where you do.

I voted no and live in the West...

People can ask whatever they want and people can answer if they choose. It’s really pretty simple. If you don’t like it, turn your internet off and you wouldn’t even notice it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR

I voted no and have lived in CO my whole life. Since it is all a matter of perspective, here is mine.

I genuinely think it is a positive to share information. If you are hunting X unit and someone is asking about a fantastic portion of that unit, why not educate them? You know if they are learning and possibly clueless there is a chance they wander straight through your honey hole and "blow it out". So why not prevent that? If you know it only hunts successfully with a west wind, or cannot be approached from downhill, or there's a good glassing vantage to stay out of sight, why not share? It will save the heartache of complaining about someone bumping "your" game, and might help the learning curve.
Have you ever heard of private land hunts that take animals all fall long? It is simply because the guides know how and when to approach their game to avoid disruption of the rest of the animals. If you know how to do that in "your spot" bit fear it being "blown out" by others, you can either watch it happen and complain, or educate those who are ignorant and learning.

CorbLand

WKR
You know what might actually help this discussion...what defines "your spot?" How does one determine what is my "spot" versus someone elses?

Fatcamp

WKR
I vote that we add a button on everyone accounts. Anyone on the forum can click the button. The person gets instantly banned when someone clicks the button. That way one someone post something that I disagree with, I can just go ban them instantly. Really would cut down on a lot of the threads on here. I dont know....just my opinion though.

"Click"

Gobbler36

WKR
You know what might actually help this discussion...what defines "your spot?" How does one determine what is my "spot" versus someone elses?
this is a good point, obviously i dont mean my spot by the term its mine and noone else can hunt there etc im not that nieve , but the internet and technology has changed hunting any many ways and we are starting to try and get ahead of some these, drones etc that push the envelope of giving an unfair advantage, i think this technology is no different and we should ask or consider if it should have limitations. why would any sane hunter want all this info about specific units and places shared on the open web.

Drenalin

WKR
I voted no. I don't like seeing specific locations named, but I also don't think that refusing to call a particular unit by name (or number) somehow means the unit remains invisible to the public. There's a lot of very useful information to be shared other than where a deer might be bedded or where elk might be feeding. Seems a lot of folks on this forum have valuable first hand knowledge and experience on things like fires, roads, wolves, general conditions, etc. that can be shared - again about a unit or region - without burning "spots."

CorbLand

WKR
this is a good point, obviously i dont mean my spot by the term its mine and noone else can hunt there etc im not that nieve , but the internet and technology has changed hunting any many ways and we are starting to try and get ahead of some these, drones etc that push the envelope of giving an unfair advantage, i think this technology is no different and we should ask or consider if it should have limitations. why would any sane hunter want all this info about specific units and places shared on the open web.
So if I have my "spot" that I put work into finding. You put work into finding your "spot." They just so happen to be the exact same spot...whose is it? Is it mine? Because if its mine then I should be free to do what I want with it. I can tell anyone that I want to because its my "spot." If its yours...well how is it yours? I found it too. If I choose to tell my buddy about that spot and he goes in there, did he ruin your "spot"? It was my spot too and I can choose to tell people if I want too.

Dont want people to know about your spot, keep your mouth shut. If someone else tells someone about you spot, suck it up and move on. If its on public land, there is no such thing as your "spot", period. If you want to argue that people shouldnt be able to talk about my "spot", your "spot", or jimmys "spot", you better be able to define what a "spot" is and who owns it.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Northern Utah sucks for deer...oh shit, I just talked about your "spot." Sorry.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I voted no. I don't see anyone posting a specific draw to go to or giving coordinates, which would be a bit much. If you want to do that in PMs that's one thing, but posting for the world to see will put a lot of traffic there.

What I don't get is anyone being upset about mentioning units. Maybe I'm just uninformed and need to research more about other states, but in AZ the units are huge ( thus my lame joke above). 3 units that I hunt locally (23, 37b, 34a) are 1160, 1125, and 638 square miles. 1.8 million acres combined. Talking about those units in general doesn't give up anything close to a spot.