Spot burners?

Should mods lock posts about specific units/areas?

• Yes

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • No

Votes: 105 75.5%

• Total voters
In a word NO.

In general when I hear someone reference a unit they aren’t asking anything more than pressure and general topography. When they ask something even remotely close to asking for someone’s spot they get chastised quickly and learn what is and isn’t acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Short answer, no.

Some of those posts do disappear, when they mention where I hunt... not really. Sometimes, if it's a new user and I'm feeling benevolent, those posts disappear. Most of the time a nice user jumps in quick and tells them that it's not okay to ask that. Sometimes it turns into a dumpster fire.

I had the unit name conversation with a buddy of mine who is an avid fisher. He told me one of the fishing forums he's on, saying a river or lake name is an instant ban. Doesn't matter if you're talking about the Columbia, Missouri or Mississippi, you're gone. I have 0 interest in trying to police that.

P.S. Any info on if elk are bugling by Ridge Line Road next to Lost lake in Unit 99?

You can only control yourself. If you see those questions let the OP know that’s generally frowned upon, if other members want to entertain the OP (odds are that won’t happen) that’s their prerogative. If it affects you and/or bothers you that much... let them know. But again, you can’t always control others.

Knowing how busy these guys are, No. Plus, public land is public land. I don't have just one place to hunt.
Exactly.

Every unit I hunt is huge, and if a person can't find one animal to put a tag on, it's not the fault of some person talking about that unit on an internet forum.

If you don't start by locking down Google Earth, locking threads about spots is pointless. Why? Because right now as you read this, I promise you there are a few hundred guys or gals looking at your favorite "spot" on Google Earth. Let that sink in.

Reactions: OMB

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Yes 100%

I wish the forum would just be about gear, tactics, etc. There is so much valuable information on forums that everyone has access to and that is great. I cant think of one good reason to post specific locations to hunt, it degrades the experience for all parties involved. Ive experienced first hand running into newbs in the woods where they heard about spot X online and not only did they not have a clue what they were doing they ruined the hard work and dedication I put in for years. If you figure out spots on your own, the entire experience is better for you because you'll have much more respect for the process.

At the very least just delete threads that people post pics of bulls/bucks and state the unit. It serves no good purpose.

CorbLand

WKR
I vote that we add a button on everyone accounts. Anyone on the forum can click the button. The person gets instantly banned when someone clicks the button. That way one someone post something that I disagree with, I can just go ban them instantly. Really would cut down on a lot of the threads on here. I dont know....just my opinion though.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I try to balance it out by giving as much inaccurate information as possible. I'll send people to places with no deer. Rivers that are closed to fishing. Trail heads with full parking lots and everyone sighting in their guns the day before the opener. Tell them no need to bring ammo, just buy some 50% off from the "store right by the trail head".

PNWGATOR

WKR
No.

Don’t need any more rules or laws or unnecessary bullish!t.

Just do the right thing.

woods89

WKR
No, i already spend too much time cleaning up the General Forum of posts that belong in other forums by you guys to add more to my list to do!!

Seriously if the title of your thread has the word ELK in it, why arent you posting in the ELK forum!!! lol

Ya, what's with all the posts in the wrong places recently? Is it just folks trying to get their posts for the classifieds who aren't familiar with the place? Seems like it's gotten a lot worse recently.

I can imagine it is a headache for you guys.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Man I just don't get it. ITS PUBLIC LAND. If you dont want to run into people hunting by a private piece of land and you can visit with the poachers as you run them off. Other then that assume you would bump into as many people as you would walking down a PUBLIC street. They were drawn or bought an OTC tag just the same as you and have all the same rights to be there. Including the out of staters. Including the hikers. Including the OHV crowd. If you don't want people to know where your going or what your doing just keep your mouth shut.

Lukem

WKR
If you zoom out, and look at the whole picture you would see that this, and every hunting message board like it are nothing but giant spot burns.

Half, maybe more, maybe a lot more of the reason you can't draw a tag these days is because of these boards.
Nah, these boards didn't create the demand that drives point creep, they're a result of the demand that drives point creep. Guys have been heading west or up into the mountains for years, it's just that those numbers have gradually increased over the last 3 decades.

The incredible acceleration in quality gear has also made doing so suck a lot less.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Man I just don't get it. ITS PUBLIC LAND. If you dont want to run into people hunting by a private piece of land and you can visit with the poachers as you run them off. Other then that assume you would bump into as many people as you would walking down a PUBLIC street. They were drawn or bought an OTC tag just the same as you and have all the same rights to be there. Including the out of staters. Including the hikers. Including the OHV crowd. If you don't want people to know where your going or what your doing just keep your mouth shut.
That's not the point. No one said they can't be there. The point is that they find it on their own and not blast it all over the internet.

I am fond of whiskey typing and spreading misinformation about units all over this site.
The noobs unit questions are as annoying as the flat bill bro's Tundra with out of state tags.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
That's not the point. No one said they can't be there. The point is that they find it on their own and not blast it all over the internet.

And who are you to say what someone can find on their own on public land and talk about on a public hunting board.

Also that is exactly the point. The whole point of this thread is guys that like to complain that they dont want THEIR PUBLIC spot burned by someone else. I mean come on is there some super secret map some where with super secret units that you need a special handshake to get into. The information is out there anyways. Its amazing what you can get by just calling a biologist. If anyone believes 5% of what they read on the internet they are fools anyways. There is never going to be any replacement for boots on the ground. Let them ask and get disinformation I say.