Spot communicating with an Inreach?

PMcGee

WKR
Does anyone know if you can communicate between the two. I have an Inreach and my buddy bought a spot. I can’t find anything that says you can do this. We’ll have zero cell service where we’re hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't confirmed this but my Garmin Inreach has a phone number that I would think that a spot could message. I deactivated the Garmin for a few months and after reactivating still had the same number.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You can, provided his Spot is one with two way text capability. With the InReach you have an InReach address. Log in to explore.garmin.com and click the ACCOUNT tab at the top right. It will be the forth line under "My Info" on the left hand side of the page. It will most likely be the first part of the email you signed up with followed by @inreach.garmin.com.

I don't have a Spot, but their FAQ page states you can add contacts by email or phone. So he can definitely send you messages if he adds your InReach address to his contacts.

It looks like with a Spot gets assigned a phone number, you will need to find out what his is and add it to your contacts.

As a side note, when you text someone with an InReach it will be linked to a phone number. However, this number does not belong to the device and will only work if someone is replying to a message you sent. The InReach address (which looks like an email) is the proper way to have someone contact an InReach. Or send them a message and have them respond to that from their phone.

muddydogs

WKR
You can, provided his Spot is one with two way text capability. With the InReach you have an InReach address. Log in to explore.garmin.com and click the ACCOUNT tab at the top right. It will be the forth line under "My Info" on the left hand side of the page. It will most likely be the first part of the email you signed up with followed by @inreach.garmin.com.

I don't have a Spot, but their FAQ page states you can add contacts by email or phone. So he can definitely send you messages if he adds your InReach address to his contacts.

It looks like with a Spot gets assigned a phone number, you will need to find out what his is and add it to your contacts.

As a side note, when you text someone with an InReach it will be linked to a phone number. However, this number does not belong to the device and will only work if someone is replying to a message you sent. The InReach address (which looks like an email) is the proper way to have someone contact an InReach. Or send them a message and have them respond to that from their phone.

The Inreach email address is not a true email address, you can not just send an email from a computer to this email, it appears to only be good for Inreach to Inreach communication. Not sure if it would work with the spot but it doesn't work like a normal email address. The Inreach email is not a proper way to contact an Inreach, even states this in the manual. Only way to contact an Inreach is via Mapshare, respond to a text message, through Garmen Explore or Inreach to Inreach, all 4 require prior planning.

Like you stated the phone number that appears with a text message doesn't work like a normal phone number either, try taking the number sent to a phone and type it into another phone and send a text. You will get back an error message.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Inreach email address is not a true email address, you can not just send an email from a computer to this email, it appears to only be good for Inreach to Inreach communication. Not sure if it would work with the spot but it doesn't work like a normal email address. The Inreach email is not a proper way to contact an Inreach, even states this in the manual. Only way to contact an Inreach is via Mapshare, respond to a text message, through Garmen Explore or Inreach to Inreach, all 4 require prior planning.

Like you stated the phone number that appears with a text message doesn't work like a normal phone number either, try taking the number sent to a phone and type it into another phone and send a text. You will get back an error message.

Good to know. So the answer is send a message to his Spot, then have him reply to that message from his Spot. Should work, but test it first.

OP
PMcGee

PMcGee

WKR
Good to know. So the answer is send a message to his Spot, then have him reply to that message from his Spot. Should work, but test it first.

It does work that way. I was able to communicate with him. Now ATT customers is a different story. Half the time I was out Att was blocking messages sent from an inreach. I guess they got it straightened out the last half of the trip it was working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro