Spot connect

BuckSnort

WKR
Anyone have this? Any real world testing from the high country?

My family and friends seem to worry whenever I'm out solo for a few days... I'd get a Sat phone if I could afford it... The 2 way texting capability of the Delorme InReach seems cool but by the time you buy the unit and pay for the month to month service you may as well buy a Sat phone...

I have the Spot 2 with the $99.99 service that works out to $8.33 a month. I think the Sat phone has better communication is a good option and there is a rental option as well. One of these days I'd like to get the Sat phone but for now I'm happy with the Spot.

Mike P

FNG
connect

I used the spot connect all last season, here's my thoughts on it.

Pros:

-Its handy that you can send a text and say what you want as opposed to a "canned" message
-With my Iphone and Connect it was about the same weight as my original spot and i had the advantage of having my Ipone camera for a back up and also the alarm clock.
-can use the connect as a stand alone unit if all u need it for is emergency 911 help (It has a 911 button that you don't need the phone for)

Cons:

-Cant do a check in with it if your phone dies...this sucks cause if your phone battery dies then you cant check in with anyone and then you would likely end up hiking out to get a hold of someone cause they would get worried when they don't hear from you. All you have is 911 without the phone
-you NEED to put all the contacts you are going to use into the connect app while you are in cell range!!! learned this the hard way just assuming I could pull the contacts right off my phone... hadn't added my buddies wife on before we left and I figured no big deal we will just add it when we get to camp...ended up hiking up to a high ridge to get cell coverage and then logging into the app and adding additional contacts.
-you end up relying on 2 pieces of electronics instead of one.

Overall I like the connect but to be honest my original spot worked great and I just did a check in every night and didn't worry about anything else. With the connect I find I dink around with it to much cause it has more features.

It really depends on what you are going to use it for. If you just want an emergency unit for if you get hurt and want to check in with family then the regular SPOT is all you need. if you want to text a packer or some buddies to help pack out an elk, then the CONNECT is better.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks for the input folks, after looking into both units I have decided that I like the idea of the 2-way texting capabilities of the InReach.. And after doing some more in depth calculating it is only $20 more per year (basic plan) than the SPOT ..

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Bucksnort, let us know what you find out if anything else.(size) I have been thinking about one too

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Bucksnort, let us know what you find out if anything else.(size) I have been thinking about one too

Will do..Hopefully I can purchase the unit in a month or so.. I will test it out and give a report as soon as I can..

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I may buy one and try it towards the beginning of Aug on my goat hunt. If I do I'll throw up a report