Spot GPS

GUNation

FNG
Thinking about getting a spot for texting and emergencies. Should I go mini? Thoughts?

intunegp

WKR
Not familiar with the Spot units but you'd probably have better luck in the gear forum.

Gerbdog

WKR
I run the mini : no complaints : set up your 3 (or is it 4?) pre made free messages to something like : im ok, im not ok come find me : and "animal down" be sure to include coordinates and anyone who you think should receive those messages. Always fun to send out the animal down and see which people you know will show up for the pain in the next 4-5 hours ... haha. Sometimes ive been surprised.

StillBald

FNG
While I don't have a mini (it's on my list for the next tag I draw in grizzly country), from what I have read, the inReach Mini 2 has enough incremental upgrades it's probably worth the price if your budget allows. If you already had the original inReach mini, sounds like upgrading is a bit harder to justify as there aren't any huge changes.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I used a spot for many years, switched to the Mini when they came out. Hands down better. Better service, better interface, more usability.

Thinking about getting a spot for texting and emergencies. Should I go mini? Thoughts?
Are you asking about a SPOT or an inReach? They're similar in function but are made by different companies and operate on different satellite networks. To my knowledge there is no "mini" variant of a SPOT.

BDRam16

WKR
I have a Spot X and as long as you have a clear view of the sky it works very well.

tracker12

WKR
I am aging and always seem to be solo somewhere. I'm finally smart enough to say I need an emergency device of some sort. It just tuff to decide what to get with reviews by users all over the board.

I have the inreach mini as well. It’s. It’s nice to have for hunting, summer fishing, and to have just exploring the high country. I’ve used it when cell service is spotty to check in with kids back home, and to have just in case since I’m always solo or with the kids. It’s seems we have cell service almost everywhere but I seem to always pick a camping spot with no service. The inreach has done the trick for the past few years. I did start off with the spot though and it seemed to work fine for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% the mini 2. Just upgraded and it’s much improved from the original inreach+ non mini. Better battery, and a faster and smoother app/connection.

GMann

FNG
Not trying to derail the spot vs. mini debate but you might want to look at the zoleo device as an option, too. I originally bought a spot and then ended up returning it for the zoleo as it was a better value for what I needed. There are several Spot vs. Garmin vs zoleo comparisons on the web if you Google it .

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
G

GUNation

FNG
Appreciate all the feedback. Sorry for the confusion about the spot vs the inreach mini. I heard Costco has the inreach right now.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I use my onxmaps and phone for GPS, but always have my inreach mini on my bino harness. The inreach mini has served me well on many occasions. Only problem I have with it is that it is trash inside of a truck...