Spot Hogg Hogg Father Review, by Zach Herold

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Spott-Hogg-2.jpg

Please welcome Zach Herold, host of Archery Maniacs Podcast. Zach has been shooting the Spot Hogg Hogg Father sight on his bow and goes over the pros and cons in this video review.

Spott Hogg Hogg Father Review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to finally have you on Rokslide Zach. I've followed your reviews and podcast for years. I could tell in the video that the site had a few day's use on it for sure!

Roksliders, Zach's the host of Archery Maniacs Podcast if you're looking for a good one to follow on reviews and archery hunting talk.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I ever need to beat someone to death with a bow sight it'll be a Spot Hogg no question.

Also they're great to shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ha ha true story they could be used as a weapon in itself.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to finally have you on Rokslide Zach. I've followed your reviews and podcast for years. I could tell in the video that the site had a few day's use on it for sure!

Roksliders, Zach's the host of Archery Maniacs Podcast if you're looking for a good one to follow on reviews and archery hunting talk.
Thanks Robby! Not only excellent doing reviews but also awesome meeting you at SLHC. Look forward for to more partnership in the future.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched your video review. One of our best ones the way you broke it down with the narration over the different close-ins/close-ups—and the pros/cons

The pro I liked was not having to reset site tapes.

On the con of the two 2nd axis set screws, when you said they cause movement, you mean just during set up, not after they are tightened down, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for some help with my new Fast Eddie set up. I haven't paper tuned the bow yet. Was wondering about where I should set the bar length? In my mind the farther out the sight is the better the potential accuracy. My plan is to slide it short for travel and extend to the longest possible length for hunting. Is that right or wrong. Have shot multi-pin fixed sights for 25 years, shot an adjustable last year that was fixed length, and now have upgraded to the Fast Eddie double pin as I have mentioned. Only my second season hunting with an adjustable sight. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

drewfoo

FNG
Just looking for some help with my new Fast Eddie set up. I haven't paper tuned the bow yet. Was wondering about where I should set the bar length? In my mind the farther out the sight is the better the potential accuracy. My plan is to slide it short for travel and extend to the longest possible length for hunting. Is that right or wrong. Have shot multi-pin fixed sights for 25 years, shot an adjustable last year that was fixed length, and now have upgraded to the Fast Eddie double pin as I have mentioned. Only my second season hunting with an adjustable sight. Thanks in advance for any help guys.
I set my bar length out to the farthest for better accuracy like you stated. For travel I remove it when it’s in my case.

Brendan

WKR
Been using these sights for 4-5 years now, have two right now.

Love the fact I can sight in both a single pin on one dovetail, and a 5 Pin on another dovetail, and swap them out in seconds with no loss of zero. Great as a backup, target and hunting setups, or setups for different arrows, but you do have to pay for multiple..

Only downside other than being heavy, is every once and a while they develop some vibration that takes some tinkering and adjusting to get out.

On the con of the two 2nd axis set screws, when you said they cause movement, you mean just during set up, not after they are tightened down, right?

Not to speak for him, but correct, I've never had it move once locked down.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member

Depends, you have two options:
1.) Utilize the dovetail to have the sight housing fit perfectly inside your peep sight which will help with consistency.
2.) Utilize the dovetail to torque tune your bow by moving the sight housing closer and farther from the riser.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been using these sights for 4-5 years now, have two right now.

Love the fact I can sight in both a single pin on one dovetail, and a 5 Pin on another dovetail, and swap them out in seconds with no loss of zero. Great as a backup, target and hunting setups, or setups for different arrows, but you do have to pay for multiple..

Only downside other than being heavy, is every once and a while they develop some vibration that takes some tinkering and adjusting to get out.

Not to speak for him, but correct, I've never had it move once locked down.
Yeah exactly when trying to set it up. But I have had vibration set in like Brendan stated.
I set my bar length out to the farthest for better accuracy like you stated. For travel I remove it when it’s in my case.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just watched your video review. One of our best ones the way you broke it down with the narration over the different close-ins/close-ups—and the pros/cons

The pro I liked was not having to reset site tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes just when setting it up. It doesn’t move once tightened down.

bdud14

FNG
for those with a spot hogg how far out will the wheel allow you to get? Looking at option 8 and looks like i can get out to about 110-120 (more for practice rather than shooting at critters) but wondering how far the spot hogg will allow before clearance issues.

Brendan

WKR
for those with a spot hogg how far out will the wheel allow you to get? Looking at option 8 and looks like i can get out to about 110-120 (more for practice rather than shooting at critters) but wondering how far the spot hogg will allow before clearance issues.

This depends on many factors for any setup. Your peep height and anchor point plays a factor. Arrow speed and downrange momentum/speed plays a factor. With the sight - it comes down to if it has enough adjustment and the scope isn't so big you start to get contact.

With the Hogg Father - limiting factors aren't the sight itself, it's everything else. You'll get more range with the small single pin scope than a bigger 5-Pin head though.

Same goes for the Option 8 - some people will get that range, others won't.

Dddddddddddd I xd

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk