Spot Hogg - Hogg It or Hunter??

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I'm trying to update a lot this year and I'm looking at sights now. I'm just trying to see what (pros and cons) are between the two. I know that they have the same "front end" on the sight but is there a big difference with having the sight on a slide mount or hard mounted to your bow.

Thanks
Joe

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If just for hunting, probably not enough to justify price difference. And if for hunting only, you may look at the Tommy Hogg if you want to shoot longer distances.

Slim Jim

WKR
Hey Doug, I'm planning on buying the tommy Hogg. I can't decide on 3 pin or single. I wanted the single set at 30 yards so that I would be good on anything out to 35 and then set dial on anything out farther than that. What's your opinion?

OR Archer

WKR
Hey Doug, I'm planning on buying the tommy Hogg. I can't decide on 3 pin or single. I wanted the single set at 30 yards so that I would be good on anything out to 35 and then set dial on anything out farther than that. What's your opinion?

If you are wanting to keep the housing picture minimal I'd opt for the 3 pin head on a large guard. I'm not a fan of the small guard. You could set the pins to 30 -40 - 50 and then dial in for anything farther out. I think this would cover most bases in a hunting situation better than a single pin.

OR Archer

WKR
So I'm trying to update a lot this year and I'm looking at sights now. I'm just trying to see what (pros and cons) are between the two. I know that they have the same "front end" on the sight but is there a big difference with having the sight on a slide mount or hard mounted to your bow.

Thanks
Joe

I would spend a bit more money and purchase a Tommy Hogg. Has a lot more flexibility than the Hogg It series of sights.

OR Archer

WKR
I didn't know that there was that much difference in size on the guard.

2" on the small guard and 2 3/8" on the large guard. I just feel the large guard matches up better with a standard 3/16" peep or even a 1/4" on the right mounting holes.

Slim Jim

WKR
I have the hunter right now so I'm use to the size of that. I guess it would be a better transition to go with the 3 pin, plus I'd be good out to at least 55 yards if I have to make a quick decision in a hunting situation

shaun

WKR
If you are wanting to keep the housing picture minimal I'd opt for the 3 pin head on a large guard. I'm not a fan of the small guard. You could set the pins to 30 -40 - 50 and then dial in for anything farther out. I think this would cover most bases in a hunting situation better than a single pin.

Why one or 3 pin? I have the Hogg father and I went with the 7 so I only have to dial out past 80. You are already looking at the large guard might as well utilize the room. You can avoid dialing in certain hunting situations but have options to reach out and touch. Just my $0.02

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Hey Justin - you using the 5 pin or 7? I jsut kinda don't know if I'd ever really be shooting out that far with a 7 pin. I'm shooting a VT too so we are pretty close to the same setup.

OR Archer

WKR
For me personally I think 7 pins was just to much in a hunting situation. I had times where I would be in one of those quick shot situations and just waste too much time finding the right pin. Went back to just using 5 pins on a Tommy Hogg. Much easier to focus on when the adrenaline is pumping for me. I wouldnt ever use a single pin but have contemplated a 3 pin housing.

Slim Jim

WKR
Man Shaun you must shoot some serious distances if you have pins out to 80 before you even touch the dial.

It just seems like a lot of clutter in the site. Don't really need to even think about which pin to use with only three. I know that shooting a lot, it becomes second nature but we are human and that many pins could lead to error IMO.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
OR, I'm thinking that same thing. I never used a 7 pin before and I don't really see a need to change I guess.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would never hunt personally with a single pin slider. To many variables where you just don't have time to make a sight adjustment.

I personally shoot a 5 pin slider with small guard. I shoot a 3/16" peep and it fits the housing best for me.

Remember not everyone's peep sight will match up to the same housing as someone's else's. your peep to pin measurement will affect what peep will match up to the small or large housing. Draw length and ATA measurements will change from shooter to shooter, so my 3/16" peep and small guard fit great on my bow bug may not on some other persons bow.

That is the one advantage to the adjustable sight bar of the Hogg Father. That is one of the advantages, matching peep to guard size perfectly. The only other advantage is the farther your pins are from your peep the larger your pin gaps are and therefore can be more precise.

With most hunting bows that shoot event speed, say 280 +, pin gaps are going to be that much of an issue in my opinion.

My last pin is at 60, slide after that. Only reason is after 60, it is nice holding dead on with my pin at any longer yardage which makes my longer shots that much more accurate.

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
I hunted with a single pin slider for the past few years and although I have never lost an opportunity at an animal with it, it has been very close a couple of times.

Both times it has been at last light. You can't see the dial and can't make an adjustment. I practiced out to 50 yards using the one pin set at 20 and I harvested both animals because of that but it's just added stress in the heat of the moment that I don't need!

This year I am shooting a 4 pin Hogg father, it won't be like having seven pins in the sight picture and I can dial out to whatever I want past 50.