Spot Hogg Tommy vs Fast Eddy - tell me your cons

CB4

WKR
I am debating between the Tommy Hogg or Fast Eddy. Either way it will be a 3 pin with.01 pins. I have read plenty of reviews on each and the comparison Rokslide put together a few years ago. I am still torn. I like how the Tommy Hogg doesn't have an exposed gear where dirt and debris could get in. However the fast eddy seems to be the go to sight for a lot of people and has great reviews.

I am looking for what people don't like about one or the other. What are each sights downfalls?

Hoot

WKR
The weight of the Tommy Hogg is the the only downfall that I see (don't own one, shoot the fast eddy).

I was concerned about the dirt/debris issue with the exposed gears, but in my experience (my bow got super dirty last year due to rain/mud/dust from atv rides etc.) the gears are such that you have a mechanical advantage to overcome any dirt/dust and any large particles dont accumulate because they just fall out...

The only thing that I dont like about the sight, I wish there was a way to remove the dial wheel to put on sight tapes, and more adjustment in the pin to dial in your zero. Rather than moving the pin to match the tape, if you could remove the wheel and "slip" it, it would work a little better IMO. Anyway, pretty minimal, I will shoot the fast eddy for some time...

OR Archer

WKR
Between the two I prefer the Tommy( I use a 5pin Tommy). I’ve installed and set up hundreds of Fast Eddys though. Tommy is a more refined sight. It’s pretty bulletproof too. Has a better locking system and windage adjustments as well.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tommy hogg and its heavy but really well built sight. Can't speak for the fast eddy

Hoot

WKR
Between the two I prefer the Tommy( I use a 5pin Tommy). I’ve installed and set up hundreds of Fast Eddys though. Tommy is a more refined sight. It’s pretty bulletproof too. Has a better locking system and windage adjustments as well.
Yeah, the locking lever for windage on the FE might be another con that i dont like about the sight...

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted with a Tommy 5 pin for 2 years and now the Fast Eddie for 2 years. The Tommy is a tank of a sight and do like the windage adjustment better, but man is it heavy. I swapped to the Eddie for the weight reduction and haven't regretted it. I actually like the locking system better because occasionally on the Tommy, you'd have to rotate the dial ever so slightly forward or back to get it to lock, the Eddie will lock in any position. You couldn't go wrong with either though.

I have shot the Tommy for 4 years. Very tough sight ( I fell on it hard this year and it did not move a mm, also bow rope got tangle and wrapped around the sight housing when I was pulling it up a tree, so basically pulled the bow up by the housing, no damage or movement.) don’t love the loud click of the locking mechanism on the dial. It has machined marks on the dial for building custom tapes. I bought a 5 pin but I took all the pins out and now run a single on it, pretty easy to work on. I think the fast Eddie has a “zero stop” on the rail which is a nice feature that Tommy Hogg doesn’t.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Thanks for the info from all. Curious what the weight different is as well. On SandS they have the Tommy as weighing 12.1 ounces and the Fast Eddy at 13.9??? Thats opposite of what everyone is saying.

That must be wrong. Looking at the fast Eddie I think the biggest difference is in the dial. Tommy Hogg has a “ click” dial where each click is 1/4 yard I believe. So just more precise where as the fast Eddie is more of a coarse adjustment. I do like how on the Tommy Hogg you can can close quick with the coarse Adjustment of moving the dial and then make small quarter clicks to really fine tune. This is more like a tournament sight, I believe.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the info from all. Curious what the weight different is as well. On SandS they have the Tommy as weighing 12.1 ounces and the Fast Eddy at 13.9??? Thats opposite of what everyone is saying.
While I am finding different weights listed for each, the description of the Fast Eddie almost everywhere is 20% lighter than Tommy? I'm not sure actual weights but it is noticeably lighter.

10.1 versus 11.7 oz for the Tommy. Both with double pine housing.

I'm a fan of the Tommy and hogg father. Never really have the fast eddie a good shake tho. Just the Tommy is built like a brick pooh house and I feel like I might not mess it up.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
The weight of the Tommy Hogg is the the only downfall that I see (don't own one, shoot the fast eddy).

I was concerned about the dirt/debris issue with the exposed gears, but in my experience (my bow got super dirty last year due to rain/mud/dust from atv rides etc.) the gears are such that you have a mechanical advantage to overcome any dirt/dust and any large particles dont accumulate because they just fall out...

The only thing that I dont like about the sight, I wish there was a way to remove the dial wheel to put on sight tapes, and more adjustment in the pin to dial in your zero. Rather than moving the pin to match the tape, if you could remove the wheel and "slip" it, it would work a little better IMO. Anyway, pretty minimal, I will shoot the fast eddy for some time...
You can slip it, I've watched videos online showing how for the fast eddie.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I am debating between the Tommy Hogg or Fast Eddy. Either way it will be a 3 pin with.01 pins. I have read plenty of reviews on each and the comparison Rokslide put together a few years ago. I am still torn. I like how the Tommy Hogg doesn't have an exposed gear where dirt and debris could get in. However the fast eddy seems to be the go to sight for a lot of people and has great reviews.

I am looking for what people don't like about one or the other. What are each sights downfalls?
I shoot the fast eddie double up pin slider...that’s a single pin with a 2nd reference. I also own a MBG pro sight.

If I was going to shoot a 3 pin, I would shoot a MBG Pro sight, red green red, you can design it on their website to get exactly what you want.

The MBG pins are much brighter in low light, I prefer the wheel on the fast eddie for the single pin. Might even build a single pin MBG some day because their pins are that much brighter.

Read1t48

WKR
When I installed my Tommy, I was able to get rid of my stabilizer and drop my overall weight because of how it balanced my bow. I regrets yet and plan to buy another.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Appreciate all the input. Just summitted the order to SandS for a Tommy Hogg. Now time to go shoot some of the new bows and get one of those ordered!

Hoot

WKR
You can slip it, I've watched videos online showing how for the fast eddie.
You can slip the pin, but with the double pin pointer there is not that much adjustment. it would be better if you could slip the wheel as well, in my opinion...

Zkep

FNG
I run the fast eddie, overall I like it a lot....havent run into any dirt in the gears which I was concerned with (although with dry season hunts mostly I havent dealt with much mud), the lever for windage adjustment takes some playing with to get tension right and into a good position. When you loosen it Im always alarmed at the amount of play it seems to have but always seems to return to where its supposed to be.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
if you want only cons, i can give you some. I have had both and own one now.

Fast Eddie (had 2, one double pin and one with a 3 pin head). Always had a buzz coudln't get it out. Not a deal breaker but was just annoying. the locking screw would alwasy get in the way from me turning the adjustment wheel and sometimes break loose over time and swing around and hit the wheel when i wanted silence.

Tommy Hogg (currently own one, had both 3 pin and double pin) Heavy. locking system on the adjustment wheel is loud, makes a good snap to adjust yardage.

Both were fantastic and trusted each one just like the Tommy better.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
if you want only cons, i can give you some. I have had both and own one now.

Fast Eddie (had 2, one double pin and one with a 3 pin head). Always had a buzz coudln't get it out. Not a deal breaker but was just annoying. the locking screw would alwasy get in the way from me turning the adjustment wheel and sometimes break loose over time and swing around and hit the wheel when i wanted silence.

Tommy Hogg (currently own one, had both 3 pin and double pin) Heavy. locking system on the adjustment wheel is loud, makes a good snap to adjust yardage.

Both were fantastic and trusted each one just like the Tommy better.
Glad I chose the Tommy. I have read and watch some reviews of people saying their Fast Eddy and FE XL had a buzz to it when shooting. I didn't notice anyone saying that with either the Tommy or Hogg Father.

My main fear with the Tommy was that click sound when adjusting yardage but if the woods are quiet enough for animal to hear that and they are in range there are probably 100 other things they would hear and spook anyway.