Spot Hogg vs Carter (or others?)

I'm interested in switching from a trigger release to a thumb release. I was able to test a Carter Wise Choice 3 finger and it was really nice, didn't take much at all to adjust to it. I'm a little apprehensive about dropping $200+ on a release though and wondering if i should find something a little more entry level to spend some time with and see if it's really the route I want to go.

I target and 3d shoot all summer but what's really important to me is hunting application. I just want something that's simple and effective.

One release that caught my eye is the Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper. Does anyone have any experience using this hunting? Wondering how it would compare to the wise choice, being roughly half the price. What kind of features are being compromised in that price difference?

Thanks!

I've been able to try quite a few different releases by buying and selling used on here and Archery Talk. You could get into a good release for a better price and without a lot of financial loss if you decide to flip it. Something to consider.

Edit to add: I can't speak to the release you mentioned as I haven't tried it. I landed on the Stan perfex simply because it seems to fit my hand better. I feel like everybody has an opinion on the release they think is best, just like everyone thinks their brand of bow is best. The best advice I got was to just shoot a bunch of releases -- from friends, shops, etc -- and see which one hits you. Carter and Stan do seem to get a lot of love..

My 0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kbhillhunter
I've been able to try quite a few different releases by buying and selling used on here and Archery Talk. You could get into a good release for a better price and without a lot of financial loss if you decide to flip it. Something to consider.

Edit to add: I can't speak to the release you mentioned as I haven't tried it. I landed on the Stan perfex simply because it seems to fit my hand better. I feel like everybody has an opinion on the release they think is best, just like everyone thinks their brand of bow is best. The best advice I got was to just shoot a bunch of releases -- from friends, shops, etc -- and see which one hits you. Carter and Stan do seem to get a lot of love..

My 0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! That's a good call. There are just so many to choose from my eyes start glazing over every time i start browsing haha. I agree though, would be best to get some first hand experience. My pro shop guy recommend I stick to three finger models so that, and full closer sears have been about the only two features I've been looking for.

Try them all, quality releases keep their value, can get close to retail in resell if it isn’t a good fit 4 ya

I shoot the whipper snapper, I have a couple, closed and open jaw.

My opinion is releases are often over thought, people try to buy better form. A good release is a good release. One of the best shooters I know can be just as accurate with a wrist strap as anything else.

For a hunting release I'd definitely get the whipper snapper, but Id still spend $200 so you have an identical backup.

The tru fire synapse isn’t quite identical but is pretty close to a wise choice. I have both and use one with each of my bows. I’ve been looking for another wise choice to match up but they are pretty hard to find under $180.

You can find the synapse for about $100 or just over and the sear is a matching hinge.

I’ve also looked fore a spot Hogg used for almost a year and they can be tough to find.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I have the whipper snapper and have been shooting it for sometime. Releases nice and feels good in the hand. I need to put some sort of tape or grip because my hands get sweaty. Other than that I haven’t had any issues with it.

WJS23

WKR
I had the wiper snapper for a wile and then switched to the carter ember, the carter had a far better trigger but that is just my opinion.

I shoot the whipper snapper, I have a couple, closed and open jaw.

My opinion is releases are often over thought, people try to buy better form. A good release is a good release. One of the best shooters I know can be just as accurate with a wrist strap as anything else.

For a hunting release I'd definitely get the whipper snapper, but Id still spend $200 so you have an identical backup.
Which do you prefer for hunting? I like the idea of open for spot and stalk to hook on in a hurry but think the closed would be versatile for clipping it on the could still use a range finder or wait for whatever to come in, also nice for stand hunting. Can you share your experience?

Which do you prefer for hunting? I like the idea of open for spot and stalk to hook on in a hurry but think the closed would be versatile for clipping it on the could still use a range finder or wait for whatever to come in, also nice for stand hunting. Can you share your experience?

I shoot the open jaw for hunting. I have had bad experience clipping the release to my loop and leaving it so I prefer not to. After using an open jaw release a bunch I don't have a bit of trouble getting it hooked on my loop while mostly distracted. Both you need to click the trigger forward to set, so to clip the closed jaw you will click the trigger. Pretty minimal sound, but some people might have issue with that. The open jaw you can leave set and then just hook your loop.

IMG_20201213_103534271.jpg

This is how I carry mine. I can tuck it in a sleeve to keep it from dangling, but the wrist strap keeps me from searching for it, or falling from a pocket, one of the bad experiences with the closed. The other I bumped the trigger somehow and dropped it from my stand. I think they are a good release for the money. I shoot the closed version for my target release. Just have figured that wrapped around my wrist while hunting is how I prefer my release, or in my zippered pouch in my hip belt.

Thank you, man that was one of the most detailed helpful responses. You got me steered towards open, my wrist is open hook just revisiting the options since I’m wanting to switch.

OP
Kbhillhunter
After trying out a bunch I opted for the carter 1st choice. Just seemed to fit my hand the best and I took to it pretty quickly. Thanks to everyone that chines in.