Spot Hogg Wise Guy VS Tru Fire Hardcore Max

My local scheels was having a 20% off sale and I had a gift card... So I picked up these two releases today. The Spot Hogg seems to get a lot of love from guys here and the tru fire just looked nice. I shoot my Stan Thumb trigger 99% of the time, but would like to have more confidence in a wrist trigger... One in pocket, one on wrist... always prepared.

Initial impressions

Spot Hogg
Pros:
1) Nice strap
2) Nice finish... quality
3) fold out of way and stays there.
4) Light trigger... if you are into that sort of thing
6) Its purple... my wife is sold because of that (she is also the one that likes KUIU simply because of the ram symbol....)

Cons:
1) Cannot get trigger heavy at all
2) Travel in trigger
3) No flexibility in from the wrist to the head.

I was seriously surprised how much I didn't like this release. I have heard so many good things that I immediately thought I got a dud. But I took it back and tried another when I got the tru fire. There is no way to make this release NOT be a hair trigger. I took the set screw back as far as possible and it was still not for me. I could also feel the trigger as the little wheels moved inside, and I could not stand that. I think that guys that like hair triggers so they can get away with command shooting will like it. I like to set my trigger heavy, hook in, and pull through. That was not possible with this release at all.

Hardcore Max
Pros:
1) Hair trigger to 1+ pounds of pull
2) Adjustable travel from nothing to terrible.
3) Awesome wrist strap... may make me sweat if hot, but super comfy.
4) Pivots and turns to not induce torque on the loop... not sure if this is really a problem though.
5) Folds back much tighter to the arm than the hogg

Cons:
1) rotation on head is kinda sticky... I think I will have to put some graphite in it. When it rotates correctly, its great, when not, the trigger is not in the same exact place every time. If the graphite doesnt do it, I will just JB weld it to not turn so its consistent.
2) A lot of exposed screws... good? Bad? who knows yet.

I was truly skeptical getting a Tru Fire, i mean, I always thought they only made 20 dollar starter releases. This thing is the real deal. I havent tied many, but I really dont think I am going to have to. I was suprised at how good and crisp the travel and pull adjustments were. Almost as tight as my stan thumb triggers that I love. Super comfy strap, folds very tight. For me it was way way better than the hogg.

Favorite so far (for my style of shooting) TRU FIRE HARDCORE....

More to come.

Joe

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
Interesting. I picked up a wise guy a few weeks back and I love it. Have not tried the hardcore.

OP
S
I was really surprised... that said, very few people like to set up their releases like I do. Super heavy with no travel. So, maybe this review isn't worth beans. I'll shoot them both a bunch tomorrow and see if I change my mind shooting groups and distance. We got like 3 inches of rain and it was only 50 degrees so I was stuck in the garage.

More to come.

Joe

Interesting. Thanks for the review.

I have shot the Wiseguy, the Hardcore and the Hardcore Max extensively...and much prefer the Wiseguy.

I did not like the strap on the Max at all; way too bulky. I also didn't like how difficult it is to fold back the trigger on the Hardcore and the Max; I like to brush it on my leg to fold it and unfold it, and it is way easier to do that on the Wiseguy. The Wiseguy's buckle strap is very simple and light.

I also like the trigger on the Wiseguy. I did not have a problem with any travel and prefer a light weight trigger. But it is not super light weight. Even with heavy gloves in cold weather, I don't find it too touchy.

I suppose they are all good; it's just a matter of personal preference and shooting style.

OP
S
I agree with pretty much everything you said to a point. The strap on the hardcore is comfy but big. My guess is that it would break in to be very good but I even told my wife last night I wish I could swap them. I agree 100% that the wise guy is easy to fold. That is the reason I liked the hardcore more. Haha. It folds tighter to the wrist and feels like it Will stay there. The hogg is easier and sticks out more. Since this will essentially be a back up for my Stan sx3, I want it to stay out of the way. I agree it takes 2 hands to fold, at least initially, but unfolding can be done on your leg very easily.

I've played with the trigger a bunch. What spot hogg calls the trigger tension adjustment is simply a travel adjustment. The reason I get so much travel is because I want more pull weight.... what I get is an ultra light, super annoying (to me) trigger. I am pretty surprised spot hogg did this, they know the difference. It is kinda expected when they create hype by calling it hardcore back country designed and put cam Haynes on the box. I'll play with it more, I hate travel more than light weight so I'll turn it back and see how it works.

Joe

I have both, and prefer wise guy. Although the strap on the tru fire is outstanding. Can beat trigger on wise guy

My biggest complaint on the tru fire, is the set screw on the length adjustment no matter what I do just won't stay tight. So I end up having to twist it back all the time to the right length

OP
S
I have both, and prefer wise guy. Although the strap on the tru fire is outstanding. Can beat trigger on wise guy

My biggest complaint on the tru fire, is the set screw on the length adjustment no matter what I do just won't stay tight. So I end up having to twist it back all the time to the right length

Mine stays in place so far... but I have it tightened to the shortest length possible so that may help as well. I am getting really annoyed by the rotation on the head. It is kind of sticky, so the trigger seems to be in a different place every so often (ie pointed at a 45 deg toward the ground instead of straight out...)

Joe

The more I use it, I like it a bit more....But the problem for me is exactly what you are saying you like about it.... It is way way too light.

Joe

Joe if your lookin for a trigger with zero travel and a heavy pull (same as I shoot) look at the hamskea drop tine. It's the best release I've ever used. The travel is basically non existent and It comes with several weight screws to adjust it to your liking. The one gripe I have is its not a fixed tether so the head flops around if you don't tuck it in.

Joe if your lookin for a trigger with zero travel and a heavy pull (same as I shoot) look at the hamskea drop tine. It's the best release I've ever used. The travel is basically non existent and It comes with several weight screws to adjust it to your liking. The one gripe I have is its not a fixed tether so the head flops around if you don't tuck it in.

x2 100%!!! I absolutely love the Hamskea Drop Tine. I've been considering picking up a second to have as a spare in case they ever stop making it. (I have no reason to believe they will, but that happens some times.)

Squeekie, I think you are spot on with your analysis of the two. I shot both and ultimately sold both. If the Spot Gogg had adjustability for travel AND tension, then it would be sweet! I had the same problem with the Max of the pivot head being stiff. I lubed it and that helped, but I wasn't sold on it. I also found the trigger to be too far forward for my liking. I like to get more of my finger around a trigger and pull through like you mention instead of "pressing" the trigger with the pad of my finger. Otherwise a quality release. I shoot a Carter as my main release and a Scott Little Goose is my backup now. Never thought about having one in my pocket and on my wrist and ready at all times like you mention.

OP
S
Yeah.... I have mostly just come to the conclusion that I HATE triggers haha.

I am not sure I will be keeping either one. I feel like the hardcore is more what I want... but that head rotation is very difficult to deal with. The hardcore is losing right now... simply because it seems to hit about 2 inches right from my thumb and the Hogg is right in the middle.

I really like the strap that folds back... are there any others out there that do that? I have the short and sweet and its on a strap so it folds under the sleeve easy, but that release has been sent in 2 times already in about 12 years of use and i dont trust it anymore

Joe

OR Archer

WKR
Both are really good releases. I much prefer my Spot Hogg over the Tru Fire. I'm just not a fan of the shape or how the trigger breaks on the Tru Fire compared to the Spot Hogg. I will say though that the Tru Fire is probably the most trouble free release we sell. Not once have I had to take one in for any sort of warranty work and we've sold a ton of them. Really can't go wrong either way.

OR Archer

WKR
I hate the Rhino XT. The trigger on that thing is aweful in my opinion. No experience with the Carters.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't like any of those two much then check out the Hot Shot Nano. Very compact and tucks back in nice and tight. Mechanism is similar to the Spot Hogg.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the TruFire Hardcore max also. Its an awesome release. Once I started shooting it I couldnt get used to anything else.

OP
S
At this point, I am thinking I am sticking with my short n sweet. I may even just get a brand new one. I can set the trigger super heavy with a glass rod like break.

Joe

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw