Spot Shot - Wi-Fi scope camera

I was looking at possibly getting a phone scope and the eyepiece attachment and the camera attachment for my phone so that I could use my spotting scope to take pictures on my phone and video's of animals and such at long range. I have my cell phone in a case to protect it and I found that every time I would want to use the spotting scope in this fashion to take a picture, I would first have to remove my phone case. Now if I ever changed phones it would also mean getting the new phone attachment to fit my new phone as they all are so different in dimensions. If I ever wanted to change spotting scopes, or use what I had on a buddies spotting scope, that also meant that the spotting scope attachment would also have to be changed and a new piece purchased. Then I found this and the guy at Sportsmans Warehouse turned me on to the Spot Shot.

The Spot Shot will work on all or just about each and every spotting scope made. It is extremely adjustable to fit on your particular spotting scope. That's it attach the Spot Shot and turn it on. Get the Wi-Fi for the Spot Shot a a download on your phone. Simple to do. Turn the Spot Shot on and link your phone to the new Wi-Fi and you are ready to take pictures. I mounted the Spot Shot on my Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x-50mm spotting scope and took these pictures off of my deck that follow.

My spotting scope with the Spot Shot attached.

Scope camera.jpg

Spotter.jpg

OP
6mm Remington
Flowers along the creek at about 40 yards. Spotting scope set at 15x.

Flowers pics.jpg

Deer head down.jpg

The Spot Shot has an internal battery that is plugged in to charge. On full charge it is supposed to be able to have an 8-10 hour battery life before it needs charging again.

Stalker69

WKR
Interesting. Do you have to watch your phone to focus, I would imagine? What’s that thing cost ?

OP
6mm Remington
Interesting. Do you have to watch your phone to focus, I would imagine? What’s that thing cost ?
Yes you watch your phone when focusing which I found so far is simple enough. It was $96.00 or just a touch more. To get the phone scope and the adapter for my particular spotting scope would have been around $10.00 less. That being said this thing by all appearances should attach to just about any spotting scope out there. I do not know for certain but I would think if my buddy loaded the same app (SME Spot Shot) to his phone he should also be able to have his phone linked to that app at the same time and be able to see and watch just like I am. Multiple phones should be able to do that and that would be pretty neat so you don't have everyone fighting over who gets to look at the images in the spotting scope.

OP
6mm Remington
This is to give you some idea of the distance. The first picture is with my cell phone without any zoom looking at the trees on top of the mountain.

cell 1.jpg

This is taken with cell phone zoomed in about 1/2 way.

cell 2.jpg

OP
6mm Remington
I checked on my On X map program and the trees on the ridge are 1.1 miles from my deck. Pretty amazing pictures for that distance. Here's some more fun I had trying this thing out.

Buck zoomed good color.jpg

Bucks lighted.jpg

The deer were 94 yards according to my range finder. Bucks in shadow.jpg

I wondered how far away I could be and still wifi from the Spot Shot so I zoomed in on a tree and walked down and knelt by it. The tree was 40 yards away and I used my phone to take a picture that was shown on the screen and what the spotting scope was looking at. It worked perfectly. I thought you should be able to load that app on other phones and say you had your family or something and were looking at critters out there and taking pictures with the spotting scope. Yes they can open the app and connect and see exactly what you are seeing and what the spotting scope is focused on. I had my wife load the app on her phone and it was working the same time my phone was.

Oh and this thing is not heavy. My phone is 10.4 ounces and the spot shot is 10.6 ounces. Oh the bucks were just across the street from our house!!

Last edited:
OP
6mm Remington
This turned out better than it probably should have. I took it about 11:30 AM and it was warming up quickly heat waves were an issue. I was up on the south end of town up on a hill and took this picture across over to Lolo Peak. According to my On X map program straight line to the two was 13.8 miles.

Lolo Peak.jpg

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
Interesting. Say your shooting at 1000 yds. by yourself. Can you set it up and video record on your phone then playback to help spot shots? Sounds like it can.

OP
6mm Remington
Interesting. Say your shooting at 1000 yds. by yourself. Can you set it up and video record on your phone then playback to help spot shots? Sounds like it can.
Yes you record on a video just like you were simply using your phone by itself. Go to pictures and instead of pictures hit video and it starts recording what your spotting scope is viewing.

I just read your comment again. I'm not sure if you are talking about having the spotting scope where you are and zoomed in on the target recording when you shoot and maybe being able to follow the vapor trail or even see the impacts on say a metal plate. That would be possible to do.

Last edited:

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Did you notice any light loss compared to looking through the spotting scope?
If there are no image lag & light loss, I can envision using the decice for general scoping as well. It should alleviate eye strain, neck strain (& a very cheap alternative to a Swaro BTX.).

OP
6mm Remington
Did you notice any light loss compared to looking through the spotting scope?
If there are no image lag & light loss, I can envision using the decice for general scoping as well. It should alleviate eye strain, neck strain (& a very cheap alternative to a Swaro BTX.).
This is still new to me but from what use I have had so far I have not noticed an light loss. I need to try it at dusk and dawn to do some more evaluation of it. There seems to be NO image lag that I have noticed. I was curious to see how far away from the spotting scope I could be and still have WiFi connection, so yesterday I set the spotter up and I focused on an area I planned to walk. I then walked down the path the spotting scope was pointed at and I was able to observe on my phone what I was doing, and watch myself walking away from the spotting scope. When I got to 82 yards (Per my Leupold range finder.) I finally started to lose the signal. It was at this point that I did notice image lag and then finally I did not have the signal at all. There does not appear to be any image lag when you are within this 82 yard distance.

OP
6mm Remington
TTT I took the spotter and Spot Shot out yesterday and took a couple videos and pictures of some bison on a ranch south of town. It was almost non existent, but there might be just a touch of lag on videos. I tried to look at my phone and the bison chewing his cud at the same time and I think there possibly was just a very very small lag. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I sent the video to my e-mail from my cell phone but I cannot seem to get it to open when I try. Guess I'll have to play with it some more. I guess they had an albino calf born this spring. I'm hoping I can get him recorded. I'll definitely post pictures and video if I do.

David

150 yards or so.
bison cow - calf.jpg
100-125 yards or so.
bison calf 150 yards.jpg

350 yards
bison bull feeding.jpg

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate you posting the pics, David. This device looks promising. I read the reviews on Amazon- not sure how reliable they are. There were a few negatives regarding software, connection drops, etc. Have you had any of these issues?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP