SPOT Troubles

I came across this today, and it serves as a good reminder to check your gear before you need it. I have an InReach, but it sounds like there is a way to test the function of your SPOT by contacting them directly.

Posted by Kirk LeDoux on Facebook:

SPOT LLC #spotsaveslives did NOT save my life. It in fact it failed me at the most critical moment. U.S. Navy did however come to the rescue. Here’s a little update to the story that KIRO 7 News ran on my Mt Baker rescue. I had just suffered a horrendous compound fracture of the lower leg way out in the Mt Baker Wilderness. In a location and terrain that necessitated a quick rescue to save my leg and my life. I hit the SOS button on my SPOT. To my horror the button did nothing after repeated attempts. Then even crazier my friends #spotgen3 wouldn’t activate the SOS either. Both units were blinking green, were blinking all the correct lights in the start up self test. I have been running SPOT devices in my #airplane and all my #backcountry, #floatplane, and #snowmobile adventures for at least a decade. I have persuaded many friends to buy the device over the years. This however was the first time I needed it. Part of me is glad it happened. Because during all those preflight and pre-ride discussion where I’ve looked people straight in the eye and said this is your best way to rescue. I’m out of the hospital and well enough now to call SPOT and get their take on it. Tech support had me go through various tests. Then had me test the “help/sos” functions. NOPE. Still doesn’t work. Nothing lights up. Just the blinking green light at the power icon. So they have me try the “ok” button. Yep. Still works normally. Now here’s my biggest concern. How many units are like mine and my friend’s @krispelan ? How many still work in track and ok lulling you into a false sense that the unit will work when you need the SOS or HELP function? Scary to say the least. So if you have one of these devices I suggest you call SPOT LLC and have them test your unit. I requested a credit towards #spotx in lieu of a new #spotgen3 because I don’t trust the hardware. He told me to sell it on ebay🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️. Ok right... I’ve given you my trust and money all these years and I finally need your services. The least you could do is upgrade credit me to a two way comm unit so that I know it’s working. At least I’m told my GEOS rescue insurance should still apply. What would you do?

Link to news story: https://www.kiro7.com/news/north-so...UjkjkX5H0Yc2eLBrRnVhCcuvMPI_aMURxFUw7G-C2LeOU

Mtngroan

FNG
#1 Tell them to pound sand!
or
#2 Take the credit, get a new unit, sell it and get a Garmin.

I have a spot and am going to call and check mine! I've been looking at the Garmins.
Glad your story had a good ending.

This disturbs me. I have loved ones that use Gen 1 and Gen 2 SPoT devices. I changed when I had a similar customer service experience many years ago and they told me to throw it away and buy a new one. :mad:(n)
I've been using a DeLorme or Garmin since then. At least they have bi-directional comms and you can verify that you are getting some kind of communication out.