Spotter advice needed

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Alright I got $900 to spend for a spotting scope. Not much yeah I know but it’s all I can budget. I’m not a hardcore sheep hunter, someday maybe but not right now. I live in Alaska and hunt Moose primarily, Caribou, Bear etc. This past moose season I found myself wasting lots of time getting closer to sub legal Bulls that I couldn’t count tines on or determine if they were worth my time and effort Stalking through just my bino’s. I’m considering Vortex Razor HD. I can get the old style 20-60x85mm for $799 or the “new” style spotter which is a 27-48x65 for $899. I also saw the Leupold SX-4 pro guide in a 15-45x65 for $800 or so. Will I be disappointed in a 65mm? Should I get the 85mm although it seems huge and it’s the “older” style spotter?. Last question ANGLED or STRAIGHT?. Thank you fellas for any input, I do appreciate it.

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
when I do use a spotter it has to be straight, not using them very often I found it to be a pain acquiring my target when using angled spotters. That’s all the 2 cents I have as far as spotters. Good luck on your search

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like the straight but I do a lot of glassing off a window mount as for the spotter can't talk from experience but I've heard good about the athlon ares. I would watch eBay really close cause I picked up a kowa 774 for under 900

Those midsize Kowas are a great value and they occasionally come up in the classifieds here. Vortex Razor are all right but definitely not as good as what you can find with patience. The best deals around really are here in the classifieds. Usually, great people to buy from but you still have to be careful.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Straight vs angled is a personal choice, however, I can say we sell 8 to 1 angled vs straight and there's many mfg's that do not even offer straight.

As a longtime supporting vendor here on the forum it would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Please give me a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it. Have a great day,
Doug

LightFoot

WKR
I'm on my second spotter. It is angled (like the first). I wish I would have gotten a straight.

Like a previous comment, it can be run off a car window easier than the angled.

If I were in your situation, I would look at the compact Vortex Razor HD or the Maven.

>>>----JAKE----->

pbcarch

WKR
For the money the vortex’s are nice , had the older version 85mm in angled. I then upgraded to Swarovski for better detail and light capture.
Do look at Mavin as well. They offer a demo program.
I have only used a angled so i am sort of use to it and yes its is a bit harder to find things but once you do i feel you have better positions you can be in to use. I normally couple the spotter with binoculars, so i spot with binoculars then investigate with spotter.

You can sit the spotter really low and look at an angled one in a seated position, which is very comfortable in the field. At the range for rifle i can have the spotter next to me and then twist the angle eyepiece towards me so i can shoot and look in the same position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love my Athlon Ares 65 mm spotter... $500-600 or so. Think the Cameraland guys carry them now.

Check out idahohikker's review:

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah Ive just been using Bino's. Heres my normal scenario: I'll spot a Moose a distance away with my bino's, Here in Alaska there are tine and size requirements to shoot Moose so ya gotta determine if its 50" or more or hs 3 or 4 brow tines to be legal. So I'll find a bull and can see its clearly a bull but cannot clearly count tines or judge size (unless its really huge) and I'll spend hours hiking to get close enough only to determine its not wide enough or legal on tine count. If I had a spotter I maight save myself a lot of time.

pbcarch

WKR
Ok if you need to actually count tines..I suggest you go look through some spotters.
Would hate to drop that kind of cash for something that you ca t use for your needs. Everyone's eyes are different

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
Straight Scopes are great when you are using the spotter to verify animal size after finding them with binoculars.

Angled Scopes are better if you are actively searching using the spotter and spending days behind the glass.

Ive been running the Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65 for 4-5 years now, and just upgraded to Swaro. Solid scope for the $$.

KRoch

FNG
To be honest save your money and use your legs. I have looked through a few spotters straight and angled. I subscribe after many mistakes to buy once cry once or like me you will waste a ton of money. I now have a 95 Atx because at distance while zoomed to count tines especially on moose where they are not as pronounced is difficult. The other consideration you need to be aware of is your tripod really makes a difference aswell and you are going to blow half that budget on a good tripod and head. Also even at distances if there is fog or heat rays that expensive piece of glass becomes extra weight in your pack while you try and get closer. I hunt in northern BC so comparable weather to Alaska not Quite as wet. I prefer the angle because I mountain hunt so looking up and down is just a matter of rotating the eyepiece so it works for you. As far as locating animals I pick a large landmark in the general area and look down the side of the spotter then find it in the spotter and locate the animal from there.
I know this isn’t what you want to hear I have been there but trust me a good spotter is worth saving for over buying a ok spotter and the tripod is just as important because at zoom any shake makes your spotter worthless

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love my Athlon Ares 65 mm spotter... $500-600 or so. Think the Cameraland guys carry them now.

Check out idahohikker's review:

We have new and open box units starting at only $469.99