Spotter Power

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I've always liked spotting scopes that start at or below 15x for days when heat waves are bad. I've had days when I couldn't use 20x and get a clear picture. Yet most made today start at 20x. What are your guys thoughts? Anyone share my experience or disagree? I've been looking at the new Vortex Viper HD in the 15x.

Some of it could be glass. When I competed I usually ran my spotter at 20-25X slightly out of focus and used a CHEAP glass to read the mirage and heat waves. A great way to pick up a few points on the competition that isn't using glass and is just reading the wind!!! Vortex makes some good glass. A reduction in magnification will yield less mirage and heat wave recognition HOWEVER it could also lead you on after an animal that you didn't get a great look at being backed off so far. Test some glass side by side where you can really reach out and test them. Start low and gradually turn them both up. Not knowing the terrain you are hunting its difficult to say what you need. I know that some areas I hunt 15X is all I need but in others 15X isn't going to get me the look on a buck that I need to save me time and miles.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't noticed a big difference in 15X and 20X in eliminating heat waves.

The reason some of the better spotters seem to handle heat waves, are they have a deeper depth of field, and your eye isn't working hard to focus on the object. By most accounts, the Viper HD is an excellent spotter.

I like the 15-45 eyepieces for 65mm spotters, because it keeps the exit pupil larger for low light.

OP
Hoyts n Mulies

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I have not spent any time behind a Swaro or Leica. I would like to but unfortunately that's not in the budget right now. Just curious if anybody else had ran into this.

I haven't packed a spotter on our high hunts due to the added weight. I've mostly relied on foot power to get into distances I can glass. This year I'd like to effectively extend my distances by using the spotter into some of the basins without hiking to vantage points to glass. That being said, I don't know if I'd miss having the ability to go up to 60x vs. only 45x.

Last edited:
B

bearguide

i like the15x45 b/c i sit and use my spotter to glass with on 15 - then turn it up to a look at anything interesting

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Swaro STM65 starts at 20x and heat waves don't usually bother me until about 30 power. I use 12x50 Swaro EL's, so I don't think a 15 power spotter using one eye is going to give me a better view of things than my binos would.