Spotter protection when hunting

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
How do you guys pack your spotting scope, while hunting? Do you have a case? If not, do you worry about breaking it?

I recently bought a new Kowa 773. I feel like I should carry it in a case to help protect it. But hate the weight/convieance penalty. I’m considering just wrapping it in my glassing azz pad.

oenanthe

WKR
Here's the system that's worked for me for a few years.

1) cut your "azz pad" so that when folded into a cylinder your scope just fits inside.
2) cut a foam circle that fits the bottom end.
3) sew a stuffsack that exactly fits your scope + foam pads.

When I stop to glass, I pull out the stuffsack, pull out the scope and mount on tripod, then pull out the foam to sit on.

Pro tip: don't make the stuff sack slightly too small. Don't ask me how I know this!

I have a Swaro and just use the very overpriced Swaro case they sell. I can't believe I paid 300$ for that thing, but it's been on the spotter since the day I bought it and have had no issues...

Kimbersig

WKR
I wrap my swaro up in my puffys and keep in my pack. they are built well and never had an issue on any of the sheep hunts I've been on.

I also wrap in puffys. If we are stopping to glass I am usually putting on the puffy layers anyway so it works fine and costs zero weight

No cover, the Swaro I use is already armored. No issue. However the Swaro eye piece cover for the 20-60x zoom does not stay on reliably in the pack so use a 12
ounce drink can cover (coozy) over it hooked to the angled scope sight tube. Good luck with it!

Wright406

WKR
Look into Marsupial Gear. They have low profile padded cases. I use one which is great insuranc

Here's the system that's worked for me for a few years.

1) cut your "azz pad" so that when folded into a cylinder your scope just fits inside.
2) cut a foam circle that fits the bottom end.
3) sew a stuffsack that exactly fits your scope + foam pads.

When I stop to glass, I pull out the stuffsack, pull out the scope and mount on tripod, then pull out the foam to sit on.

Pro tip: don't make the stuff sack slightly too small. Don't ask me how I know this!

I use nothing and haven’t had issues but I like this idea.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Swaro and just use the very overpriced Swaro case they sell. I can't believe I paid 300$ for that thing, but it's been on the spotter since the day I bought it and have had no issues...

I run the factory Swaro case on mine as well. The fit and functionality is second to none IMO. It protects well enough I carry my spotter outside my pack which makes me use it far more often.

Last edited: