Spotter recommendation

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
I have put eyes on the maven CS.1 and the Athlon ares 15x45x65. I thought that they were great for the price but Iam looking for a little more. Iam curious what is your recommendation for a good spotter under 1500. Will be using for everything from backpacks to the truck. Thanks guys

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really looking hard at the Ares 15-45....I like it's size and guys are comparing it to high end glass.

Also agree with Doug here. The 55mm Kowa is a pure gem - my buddy has one and it is pretty sweet. Maybe the best in your price range. If looking for something just little bigger / higher-mag and can afford just a few hundred $ more then I’d recommend looking at the Meopta Meostar S2 and Kowa TSN-773.

ZackP

WKR
I think Doug is right on the money with the Kowa 55. I have used both scopes you’re referring to and while they’re good for the money, you will definitely yearn for more clarity.

I recently upgraded to the ATS 65 HD and I can tell you without a doubt, anyone who says buy once cry once is exactly right.

My wife even made the comment after looking through it “why didn’t you get one of these sooner?”

Also agree with Doug here. The 55mm Kowa is a pure gem - my buddy has one and it is pretty sweet. Maybe the best in your price range. If looking for something just little bigger / higher-mag and can afford just a few hundred $ more then I’d recommend looking at the Meopta Meostar S2 and Kowa TSN-773.
Well said.

TSimons9

FNG
Watch the classifieds for a used Swarovski STS/ATS 65. I snagged mine on here with the HD body and the 25-50x eyepiece for $1700. It's an awesome scope and very pack friendly.

Have you considered the Kowa TSN-55 Series? They are on sale for only $1,499.00, reduced from $1,799.00
I have the TSN-554 4 years now and can't recommend it enough. Right at the limit of your budget, but you won't even remember that in a year.

EDIT: Oops. I see you already made a decision. Good luck with the 773/774. I know you'll be very pleased with it.

Last edited:

Wassid82

WKR
Doug is on the money here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree I bought a 554 and I'm super impressed especially for weight and size. I think it will change my hunting for many years to come. The only thing I wish it had was angled with the ability to twist.

Tunsei

FNG
Im hard on my gear hunting backcountry inclement conditions, days at a time. Picked vortex razor hd because of no fault warrant and not trusting myself with $2K optic without it... but now am wondering if should get better quality glass. Any other comparable warranty’s out there?