Spotter recommendations?

Usmcff

WKR
I tried searching through the forums but couldn’t quite find what I was looking for. I will soon be looking for a new spotter. Current spotter is a Leupold fixed 30x60 but I’m not too impressed with it. The eye relief wasn’t all that great and it just felt more like a weight than helpful. I am looking to upgrade to something with a bit more power so considering something along the lines 15-45 and around a 65mm objective. Mostly hunting deer out west, using at the range, but eventually would do elk and one day try a goat or sheep hunt. I’ve read a lot of mentions on kowas, meoptas, and mavens bit don’t have experience with any. Currently eyeballing kowa or a zeiss diascope. I’m not opposed to vortex either and would most likely pick up a used spotter if it’s in good shape. My current Binos are an older pair of slc NEU’s so I have good Binos. My budget would be around $1k and can go a bit higher or lower. Thanks in advance!

Marble

WKR
My .02..

If you do not have a really really good pair of binos, go there first.

For $1000 I'm not sure if it would be worth the investment for the improvement.

I've got several smaller, less expensive spotters and purchased a Vortex razor HD. I like it. It is nice and works good. But at low light or long distance uts not near as good as my swaro 10x42.

For glass you get what you pay for and the super top end may not be in the plans, but if you can wait until you really need it, like late summer, early fall, save up more and get as much as you can.

One of the new swaro spotters is on my wish list. I might be able to swing one this summer, then sell my Vortex.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
My .02..

If you do not have a really really good pair of binos, go there first.

For $1000 I'm not sure if it would be worth the investment for the improvement.

I've got several smaller, less expensive spotters and purchased a Vortex razor HD. I like it. It is nice and works good. But at low light or long distance uts not near as good as my swaro 10x42.

For glass you get what you pay for and the super top end may not be in the plans, but if you can wait until you really need it, like late summer, early fall, save up more and get as much as you can.

One of the new swaro spotters is on my wish list. I might be able to swing one this summer, then sell my Vortex.

I would say I currently do have a good pair of Binos, I bought a pair of the swaro slc 10x42 neu’s (made in 2009) after reading a write up on here saying they were pretty good. I am planning on selling my other Binos and the current spotter and then adding some more to my spotter fund by I honestly don’t really want to spend over 1500$ for a spotter.

Marble

WKR
Perfect. Some guys will chime in here for the price range. I have the Vortex Razor HDand like it, but i would like something that gives me as much as I can.

I have looked through it, leupolds, lower end Vortex, I think a Redfield which was horrible, and one other someone else has in our group and it does outperform the others.

Best of luck Sir!

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
Perfect. Some guys will chime in here for the price range. I have the Vortex Razor HDand like it, but i would like something that gives me as much as I can.

I have looked through it, leupolds, lower end Vortex, I think a Redfield which was horrible, and one other someone else has in our group and it does outperform the others.

Best of luck Sir!

Awesome thank you sir, and yes I think the max I could swing is 1500$ but just trying to get an idea round the 1k price. I did look through a red field at bass pro and wasn’t impressed and the Leupold I have just wasn’t cutting it on my mule deer hunt.

Tahoe1305

WKR

I have the 65mm. Really a fan of the gen I razor. Worked tests with mine and personally I think it stacks up well. Especially for price.

Best price I’ve ever seen on these btw.

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR

I have the 65mm. Really a fan of the gen I razor. Worked tests with mine and personally I think it stacks up well. Especially for price.

Best price I’ve ever seen on these btw.
I’ll look into those. I think I’d prefer the 65 myself. Just don’t see myself really needing an 85mm plus the added weight of it. I’m guessing these are like the older model vortex viper Binos? Maybe made in Japan or something with better quality materials?

Moserkr

WKR
Seen a few swaro ats/sts 65mm go for around $1700-1800 here in the classifieds. If your budget is that close to that level quality of glass, Id find a way to make it happen. You are obviously familiar with the brand and know where it stands. My budget this year is in the maven c1 spotter range and figure in a few years I can upgrade to the best.

elkguide

WKR
Swarovski fanboy here and have both the SLC's and EL's binos in 10X42. Use them 95% of the time but when I do need to check something way out I have a Maven S1A, 25X50X80. It's not a Swarovski but it is very good glass. A little bit more money if buying new, (don't very often see them on the used market,) but I would highly recommend looking at them. Kowa is an incredible glass but a lot more money. Meopta are also a very good glass so you are definitely in the right neighborhood. You really do get what you pay for in glass and while it seems like a lot of money to get better glass, the old buy once - cry once phrase really applies to glass.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ll look into those. I think I’d prefer the 65 myself. Just don’t see myself really needing an 85mm plus the added weight of it. I’m guessing these are like the older model vortex viper Binos? Maybe made in Japan or something with better quality materials?
Yup concur with the 65. These should be better glass than the viper. Some are made in Japan and some in China. No way to tell really prior to buying. I just looked at my 65 and it’s stamped China.

Concur that if you spend twice and much you can get better (like most things).

If I was looking to spend $1500 I’d be after a used kowa 773.

Last edited:
OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
Swarovski fanboy here and have both the SLC's and EL's binos in 10X42. Use them 95% of the time but when I do need to check something way out I have a Maven S1A, 25X50X80. It's not a Swarovski but it is very good glass. A little bit more money if buying new, (don't very often see them on the used market,) but I would highly recommend looking at them. Kowa is an incredible glass but a lot more money. Meopta are also a very good glass so you are definitely in the right neighborhood. You really do get what you pay for in glass and while it seems like a lot of money to get better glass, the old buy once - cry once phrase really applies to glass.
I really would like a swaro spotter but I just wouldn’t be using it as much. I justified the price on my Binos cause they were used, almost half off of new, and I use them basically every day cause they stay in my truck. The spotter for be for my one trip out west because that’s about as much as I can afford both money and vacation wise and for use at the range cause I live in Tennessee and a pair of Binos will do you just as well as a spotter in this thick stuff.

elkguide

WKR
Living in Vermont, I'm in the same boat as you are, not many places around here to effectively utilize a spotter. I do go west regularly and there I do use a spotter. The Maven that I rely on is really good though. If I didn't spend all of my "extra" money on going hunting, I would put more money into a spotter and it would likely be a Swarovski. Kowa would be my next choice if money was no object. But for now I'm going hunting and my Maven has never let me down.

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
Living in Vermont, I'm in the same boat as you are, not many places around here to effectively utilize a spotter. I do go west regularly and there I do use a spotter. The Maven that I rely on is really good though. If I didn't spend all of my "extra" money on going hunting, I would put more money into a spotter and it would likely be a Swarovski. Kowa would be my next choice if money was no object. But for now I'm going hunting and my Maven has never let me down.
I believe that’s where I’m at. I’m still researching between the cabelas/meopta, that maven, or a kowa but haven’t ruled out vortex because I’ve had good luck with them thus far. Kind of leaning towards kowa though because I would like something in the 60 mm class. How much room and how rough is to pack a 80 mm?

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you take a look at the Kowa 663/664 as well. Highly regarded glass for the price. I have the 664 with 30x WA eyepiece and it’s a gem for the price. I have no desire to upgrade to a Swaro, and I live out west and use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
Make sure you take a look at the Kowa 663/664 as well. Highly regarded glass for the price. I have the 664 with 30x WA eyepiece and it’s a gem for the price. I have no desire to upgrade to a Swaro, and I live out west and use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been eyeballing these as well as the 77. What’s the different between the 662 and 664 model? Or the 61 vs 63? My current spotter is straight but after using it I would prefer an angled I believe.

Matt G.

WKR
61 and 62 are the non HD models 63 and 64 are the HD. Even number is straight and odd is the angle version

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
61 and 62 are the non HD models 63 and 64 are the HD. Even number is straight and odd is the angle version

Okay thanks, have you had a chance to compare the HD and non HD models?

Matt G.

WKR
I have not looked through those models. Non HD is lighter weight. I had the 554 and 774. I kept the 774 as an all around spotter. I could not justify keeping both. The wide angle hd eyepiece is what sold me vs 660 series which is standard glass. I was really impressed the other night looking at the Christmas star. I could see Jupiter and at least 5 moons and Saturn with the rings. That is at the 60x. It was like looking at something on discovery Channel in hd...

You can find some great deals out there if patient enough. I scored mine for 1200 and someone else found one for 1k on FB.

rcdinaz

FNG
I have the Swaro 80 but I also put together a pair of big eyes. I have to say I am very impressed with the Kowa's, great price and very clear.