Spotter

I recently purchased a fixed power 25x50 leupold. For my uses to come, it was worth a shot to try it out. I like light and I’m not too concerned about judging antler inches. I’m just looking to find legal antlers at this point, when I’m out west hunting. It’s a pretty slick little scope. Excellent optics for its day and pretty dang good by today’s standards. With that said, I have intentions for a zoom spotter in the future. For truck and scouting use.

Now that you know this, know that i bought a bushnell spotting scope 22 years ago off a buddy guiding in Wyoming. He had graduated college and was no longer guiding to pay the bills. My biggest reason for doing This was to help him out. I think I have him $75 for it. I have never even looked through it until today. It’s been moved to 3 states, 6 times, and has been thrown around and in Rubbermaid containers throughout it all. I’d forgot about it really. Because I had no reason to believe it was worth a hoot at spotting.

Thus afternoon while fooling around with the leupold looking at oak trees just budding out, at over two hundred yards, i remembered the bushnell. I went inside and got a cold beer and dug that puppy out.

keep in mind, I’ve never even looked through this old spotting scope. I put a plate on it and threw it in my tripod and, boy was I surprised. This thing is crystal clear, bright, and every bit as good at 25 power as the leupold. At least at 300 yards. It’s a sentry model I’m guessing was made in the late 80’s to early 90’s.

keep in mind too I’ve never looked through a bargain type spotting scope other then a vortex. And, there is no comparison in the two. This bushnell is WAY better. My only experience with upper end glass in spotting scopes has been through swaro’s, nightforce, vortex razors, and leupolds. All owned by friends. They all have been excellent at the long range targets I’ve spotted on the range. And, I haven’t looked through these bushnell past about 320 yards. But, these bushnells are unbelievable. At

that range.

I guess my question is, has anyone here ever owned a bushnell sentry 18-36 power with a 50mm objective. Made in that time frame. Am I losing my mind here? Will the image quality deteriorate at longer ranges to change my mind. Because it might be a while before I get a chance to look at anything 1000 yards away with these things. And, if it holds image quality as good as I think it’s going to, does anyone want a fixed power leupold? lol.

I’m curious if anyone can give me an expectation of what to expect. I know a lot of the users here are young and likely were never around to remember the days of the bushnell dominance as the common mans optics. But, there’s got to be some 50 year olds or older that’s looked through this era bushnell. Am I the only one who thinks this about this spotter.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Daylight and dusk is where the biggest difference will show up in any glass. All glass looks good in the daytime, but most animals come out in the duskier times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
W
I’m reading license plates at 300 yards when it’s nearly dark. Easily. I’m reading them at 100 yards when it’s to dark to see the license plate with my naked eye.

I’ve got a Athlon Ares on the way and I’ll compare them both at 36 power. To see if it’s my inexperience or, that bushnell made an exceptional spotter in the older models. I don’t expect it to compete in brightness. But, I didn’t expect it to even be an option. Nor does it need to be an 80mm alpha for its purposes.

Make no mistake, I’m trying to determine if this bushnell would make an excellent lightweight spotter for the back pack. Time will tell. I’ll update after getting the Athlon side by side.