Spotters - Straight or Angled???

BMB228

FNG
Hey guys. I usually carry Swaro's for glassing but am considering a spotter for longer range, bigger mountains - CO, ID, etc. What are your thoughts or the pros and cons of the two styles?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Angled all the way. Easier to glass angles with. ( uphill or down hill ) Also a lot easier to share. You don’t have to adjust your tripod to accommodate hunters of different heights.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for angled. Especially for glassing up or down. You can rotate the scope so the eyepiece is at different angles. It takes a minute to get used to finding things but I have zero issues acquiring an animal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SB1

FNG
I have angled too - the only downsides in my mind are (1) not as easy to fit in slim pack pockets and (2) the hunched over sitting position from long glassing sessions - but to Jordan's point, you can rotate the eyepiece to minimize that. Angled just seems more ergonomical to me

Blue72

WKR
I always find it interesting that many shooters are big into natural point of aim

But when it comes to spotting scopes they throw that all away using an angled scope

I've finally settled on all Angled Spotters.

Easier to share with people of different heights.
I can get it closer to the ground for better stability, especially when winds get nastier.
And I just find it more comfortable when glassing for longer periods of time.

OP
B

BMB228

FNG
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it comes down to personal preference and how you're going to use it. Just beginning to look around and want something compact but good glass. Want something to take along in the outback.

Everyone be safe out there...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its preference. Currently I prefer straight, I can go back and forth easily between binos and spotter. I haven't spent enough time with angle for it to feel second nature to find something in. I've been frustrated when out scouting having bother along trying to get the angled on a moving deer and have tossed it aside for the straight to get an eye on things quicker. Again that's just my lack of experience with angled but as with guns/etc. if you aren't comfortable with the equipment its going to affect your experience with that product. I listed up my 60mm angled spotter and am keeping my 50mm straight for that reason. If I had a 60mm straight I think I'd prefer that most of the time but since its angled I'm drawn to the 50mm even though the 60mm isn't much heavier nor that much bigger.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
After owning many examples of both in 50-65mm and 80- 85mm sizes I have defaulted to the following:

50-65mm-Straight.
80-100mm-angled.

A 50-65mm- Straight is easier to pack in your day pack while hunting and is great off a window mount in the truck.

85-100mm-Angled is best for everything else.