Spotting moose: Binoculars or Spotting Scope

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Eyes are slowly getting worse. Cataracts are making things less clear. I have a decent pair of Leupold 10x42 binoculars. I’m told that pretty much all shots will be less than 250 yds, with the bulk being < 100 yds.

Max spotting distance is expected to be < 500 yds.

I have a tripod w/binocular mount. Shoud I be considering a spotting scope? If so, what specs.

I have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 with Firedot on my Browning BAR in 30.06

Sled

WKR
That's pretty close for a spotting scope but it might help you if you're being picky on a rack.

Less than 500 yards - binos all the way.

Don’t ya think ya might need to find the moose tho and need more range than 500 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since max sight distance is 500 yards and moose are species, I think you are fine with the binos

Binos for that distance. I purchased a “pretty good” pair of binos once. I upgraded to a “really great “ pair and never regretted it. That was 17 years ago. Money well spent.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
tcpip95........go get your cataracts taken care of. Its like night and day. I did mine a year and half ago. They did right eye first then left eye two weeks later. It is easy peasy. The procedure is a piece of cake.

Can depend on terrain. If up in alpine area, spotter may help. If on a thick lake or river, go with binos.
One thing I noticed is bulls are easy to spot in the alpine areas I hunt.
I look for a piece of bright white and if it dissapears, it is a bull in the alpine spruce.

At lower elevations, the antlers tend to be muddy so glassing for bright white is not appropriate.
Screenshot 2023-10-13 044617.png

mitchell

FNG
That is a nice bull AK ! Getting him out of that soft wet location would have been rough. The Leopold 10X42 binoes will be just fine. If you had 12X it would be the best of both worlds. Anything more than that and you would definatly need a tripod.