Spotting scope - 65 or 80?

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m looking to buy a spotting scope for the first time and would love some advice on what to pursue between a 65mm and 80mm objective. I just purchased a quality pair of binos (Nikon monarch hg 10 x 42) and would love to round out my optics ahead of next season.

a few things to note:
- I’m looking to keep it under 1000 (vortex razor and maven cs1 are top of my list so far)
- I live and hunt in the west. Primarily in high country situations where I’m covering quite a bit of ground looking for elk. However, I also do a fair amount of antelope/deer hunting which is more glassing intensive.

what would y’all say the pros/cons are for size of scope? Recommendations on specific scopes are also welcome.

thanks in advance!
If weight is a concern at all I would recommend going with the 65 mm or even smaller. The one I run is the Razor HD 11-33x50. I use this spotter for hunting as well as for shooting long distance.

If weight isn't a concern, an 80 mm or 85 mm objective would be just fine! I prefer a smaller objective as it saves weight, gives a wider field of view(due to the less magnification), and will give you all the magnification needed for hunting situations.

Personal preference on how much you're willing to drag around.... I personally have a hard time going back to 65 after using an 82.

My personal preference, all things being equal, is an 80 over the 65. I just so happened to find a good deal on a Swaro 80, so that’s why I own that scope, but had it been a 65, than that’s what I would have bought. I’ve had the opportunity to compare both side by side under real conditions (both good and bad), and I like the 80 better. The difference in wt. between the Swarovski 65 HD and 80 HD is only about 7 oz., and absolutely worth it IMO.

20-60x65
2d40621a01f269e84a5bf1239b3d2071.jpg

20-60x80
bf60d41ace06c83ae798ee013dfb27c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonman

WKR
It’s going to be a preference thing for everyone. I have ran a Razor 65 in the past and then went to the Razor 85. I’m done with the razor 85 (4.5lbs) and I’m going to the 25-50wx65 Swaro. It’ll do everything I need and be way way lighter and better quality as well.

Last edited:

Deadfall

WKR
If getting a spotter, atleast go 80mm. Big difference between tgat and 65. Also anything is better the vortex!

The 80 will take in more light overall giving better picture quality. What you'll see is cheap scopes with high zoom, they will have much larger lenses then the higher dollar scopes at the same magnification. Having a a swarovski you dont have to worry about that side of it though, there glass is top quality.

fatrascal

WKR
When I started out I got an 80mm objective spotting scope, 15x56 binos and 10x42 binos. When I talk about backpack hunting I'm not talking about day hunts but rather multiple days or up to a week out in the mountains. I eventually sold the 80mm objective spotting scope and went with the 65mm. I never missed the 80mm and because the 65mm is smaller and lighter I was able to use a smaller and lighter tripod. My tripod is a compact Outdoorsmans which can only be used while sitting down. Its about 3 pounds with the head. Any lighter and you sacrifice stability. But it is tough, compact and competitive in the weight category and has been flawless for 20 years of backpack hunting. The 15x56 binoculars only had 5 more power than the 10 by 42's and was not a significant difference and the 10's are just as good as 15's on the tripod so I sold the 15's. 15 power binos cannot come close to doing the job that a spotter with 20x60 zoom can do. I cannot fathom going hunting without a spotter with 20x60 zoom. There is just too much game 20x60 power will find that 15 power cannot see. A pair of 10x42 binoculars paired up with a 20x60x65 spotting scope is deadly and has been my go to tried and true set up for 20 years of backpack hunting. I've tried all the different variations and I find this set up to be the best. I have the the btx with 95mm objective but it will never go backpack hunting. The set up i use is the set up that the old timers preached was the best and after trying every combination under the sun I found out they where right. I should have listened to then in the first place because it would have saved me lots of money. Fatrascal.