Spotting scope advice

WKR

WKR
I'm in the market for a new spotting scope, I would like to stay in the $500 range maybe up to $750 if it was a great deal. I would like to spend more but I just spent around $3000 on a new rifle set up so I don't want to get too crazy on spending during the off season like I usually do.
I want to know your guys advice on the objective lens diameter, angled vs straight, and usable zoom.
I'm open to any brand really, it's more about function than name to me.
I don't want a huge cumbersome heavy thing

Braaap

WKR
Athlon Ares and most people will probably say the same. I just bought a used one and I’m very impressed with it. It’s in your price range, great glass, compact size and not too heavy.

JRMiller

WKR
I'm not going to suggest a specific scope as there's just to so many out there.
But, i recommend getting the largest objective lens you can either afford or pack in and out of areas (weight)
If you think most of your hunts will be at eye level or lower (like down into drainage's), get a straight.
If you think you'll be glassing above eye level (like goat/sheep hunts) get an angled.

golfbum

WKR
I have a pretty dang nice Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60mm with Both a variable zoom and a WA fixed zoom eyepiece.

I truly Think for less then 1k-1.5k you will not find a nicer spotter.

I will let it go for $650 as I just don’t use it. Send me a pm if interested.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In your price range either Athlon Ares ED or Hawke Endurance ED. It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you if you have the time to give a call, 516-217-1000.

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased an Athlon Ares from Camera Land and waiting for it to arrive. I was in the same boat you are in and did quite a bit of reading. It appears to be optically nice and what pushed me over the edge was the size and weight.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
How is the Athlon ares compared to a vortex viper or razor? What kind of warranty does Athlon have? Where are they made?

golfbum

WKR
Athlon is the same warranty as vortex, lifetime no fault.

With that said after owning both I would rather a razor 100% over the ares. Ares and viper are more the same. That is not knocking the aresas for the price it’s great.

The Athlon Ares is as good or better than the gen 1 razor and is better than a viper in my opinion. 15-45 is compact and has a big FOV, I just bought one from Doug and it’s legit

I wanted something smaller so I just got a Hawke 60mm 2 days ago. I had a 50mm Vortex but I just felt like I wanted a little more. Initial thoughts on the Hawke are positive. Seems built well. Focus wheels are good. I looked through it briefly and it was clear with no noticeable chromatic abrasion from the treeline against the clouds. Much better than the Kowa 60 I had but thats not ED glass. I think it will be better than the 50mm Vortex I had too.

Reactions: pc3

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
weight, weight, weight if going back country. I don't own a spotting scope. I've rented one for a hunt and buddies have scopes. I'm leaning to 60mm for weight. I would rather less zoon and higher quality. 80x zoom is useless on a lower quality scope.

I would save up if you can't get Razor quality or above from another manufacturer. This can be a once in a lifetime purchase if you take care of it. No need for Swaro for the average user but you will want to upgrade if you don't buy quality glass.