Spotting Scope and Rifle Scope Recommendations for Mountain Hunting

PLucas

FNG
I am currently a hunter in the eastern USA (midwest). We are doing a public land backpack hunt in Colorado next year (2021) for elk and mule deer. I currently do not have a spotting scope, just basic vortex binos. The rifle being used will be a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. I will have a budget of around $1500-$2000 for a rifle scope and spotting scope combined.

1. What magnification should I be looking at for the rifle scope? I recently was able to use a Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12 and really liked it. I have been also looking at Swarovski Z5 in 2.4-12 & 3-18. Not sure if I should go cheaper on this and more on the spotter...

2. What should I look for in spotting scopes? I have researched here and I am more knowledgeable, but still, I am left without a route to go. I have also looked into the Maven CS.1 15-45x65. I do not know if that would be a good route and they do not offer that for the demo program.

3. Should I spend more on a spotting scope than a rifle scope? I know we will be glassing a lot.

4. Any questions I am not asking?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you trophy hunting? If not I would buy a good rifle scope and upgrade your binoculars. You'll use your binos 50x more than a spotter for elk. If trophy quality matters, then get a spotter, but I'd put more money into the rifle scope than the spotter. Doesn't matter if you can find it if you can't hit it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
P

PLucas

FNG
Are you trophy hunting? If not I would buy a good rifle scope and upgrade your binoculars. You'll use your binos 50x more than a spotter for elk. If trophy quality matters, then get a spotter, but I'd put more money into the rifle scope than the spotter. Doesn't matter if you can find it if you can't hit it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No trophy hunting here. I currently use my binos a lot...but that is because I never had a spotting scope. It just seems spotters are very common in western hunting. Thanks for your feedback!

Blaw

WKR
Id say get some great binos, and a good scope. Throw the binos on a tripod

I use the Maven C1 8x42 but you could to 10's.

I would say they are a direct comparison to Viper HD's but less $$

Blaw

WKR
then get an SWFA scope so you can be part of the Rokslide gang :)

or the athlon midas tac
or bushnell LRHS

SWFA will be by far best bang for buck I think

You may not even need a spotter, what unit did you draw? Get some good glass (Nightforce is tough and a good value for the money) for the rifle and carry quality binos.

hodgeman

WKR
Spotters are mainly going to be used for evaluating trophies.

About their only usefulness in spotting game is finding elk that are out of your reach. Spend your money on binoculars.

Vaultman

WKR
1. For magnification it depends on how far you are going to shoot. I like the 4-14 magnification range. On the Zeiss scopes, I love them. I have a V4 and a V6.

2. Another recommendation here for the "ditch the idea of a spotter and spend it on the best binos you can get". If lots of long range glassing consider 12x binos.

3. No. Don't spend more on a spotter than your new rifle scope. Just skip the spotter.

4. The question you are not asking is about a tripod. I am an advocate that hunters should get a tripod and head for their binos before they buy a spotter. Binos on a tripod are THE gamechanger!