Spotting Scope: Angled or Straight?

I am considering getting a spotting scope, and am wondering what the pros and cons of the straight vs angled models are. Can you please educate me a bit?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Typically the arguments go like this:

Straight:

1. Easier to get on target.
2. Easier to glass from above.
3. Easier to glass from a vehicle.

Angled:

1. Easier on the neck.
2. Easier to glass up.
3. Easier to use with multiple people of different sizes.
4. You can use a shorter/lighter tripod.

I use angled, because most angled scopes have a rotating color that more or less evens the field with the straight, except about getting on target easier. After some practice, though getting on target with an angled scope is second nature.

bowuntr

WKR
I use a straight for the single reason that it's easier to get on target. Sometimes a few seconds is too late... I have no neck issues as I adjust my tripod accordingly. Personal preference. I suggest you try both and decide for yourself. Ed F

Whisky

WKR
BB nailed the pros and cons pretty well. I prefer straight.

dotman

WKR
I would say try one, only you will know the pros and cons for you with this. Personally I can't use a straight without my neck getting sore but the angled is very comfy.

a3dhunter

WKR
I use a straight because I can lay my binos on top and use the tripod to stabilize my binos without attaching them to the tripod. Then it's easier to transition to spotter to further check something out, and spotter is already on target.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
BB laid out the +/- of each pretty well. After owning a couple of both I prefer angled but certainly no right or wrong choice.