Spotting scope comparison input

So I just purchased an Athlon Ares 15x45x65 as I wanted a scope that I could pack with me into the backcountry. Until now, my primary spotter has been a Vortex Razor 85MM which is just too big for backcountry, but great for tripod or window spotting.
Let me first say that I'm WOWED by the Athlon! I had the two of them side by side and I honestly felt the Athlon was clearer at max (yes, I know there's a diff between 45x and 60x, but still). Image was super nice edge to edge and just seemed clearer overall.

I've never truly loved the Vortex, so I sold it. I still like having an 80+ spotter, so I'd like to get a different model (I also want a straight eyepiece considering how I use it).

I love the Ares 65 so much that the 85 should be pretty good too right? But staying with the "buy one cry one" mentality, I'm also looking at the Leupold Santiam SX-5 Spotter for about twice the price. I have the Santiam 15x56 binos and love them too.

So, yes I know folks will say "Save your money and buy Swarovski or Kowa". Thank you, but no. I'm looking for some input with direct experience with both scopes and to know if the Santiam really justifies twice the price. Longshot, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Notably better then Razor quality straight around 80mm you either need to go Swarovski ATS 65mm HD, Leica APO 65mm, Zeiss Diascope 65 FL, or a Kowa 77 Prominar.

I’m only saying these as 65’s and to find them used because you can resolve up to 60 power with a good 65mm easily.

Nothing for nothing but you can get a brand new SX5 for $1,800 or a used STS 65mm 20-60 used. That’s a no brained to me.

WLD

FNG
Any negative reviews from kowa owners out there? I haven’t found any yet. Specifically looking for input on the tsn 553 for lightweight backpacking

Any negative reviews from kowa owners out there? I haven’t found any yet. Specifically looking for input on the tsn 553 for lightweight backpacking
I have the STX 65/95 and the Kowa 554.

I do not glass with a spotter; that’s what my SLCs are for. The “small” FOV complaint about the 55x is immaterial for me.

On Kodiak I was able to compare my 554 with the guide’s STS 65. The 554 was better to my eyes.

Did a multi-week comparison while hunting between my STX 65 and 554. Overall the 554 competed pretty well. There were times I wanted more magnification but I’ve had the same “want” with my STX 95.

At half the cost (should be able to get it for $1450 or so) and half the weight of my STX 65, the 554 is nice to carry. There is not much of a size difference though.

The 554 is just another tool in my optics arsenal. I bring whichever optics combo makes the most sense for where and what I’m hunting.

If you’re counting inches then look at the Kowa 773 (should be able to get it with the WA eyepiece for under $2100) or the fluorite 883 (should be able to get it with the WA eyepiece for $2500).

If you’re primarily hunting small animals at distance (ex: Coues) I’d go bigger.

WLD

FNG
I have the STX 65/95 and the Kowa 554.

I do not glass with a spotter; that’s what my SLCs are for. The “small” FOV complaint about the 55x is immaterial for me.

On Kodiak I was able to compare my 554 with the guide’s STS 65. The 554 was better to my eyes.

Did a multi-week comparison while hunting between my STX 65 and 554. Overall the 554 competed pretty well. There were times I wanted more magnification but I’ve had the same “want” with my STX 95.

At half the cost (should be able to get it for $1450 or so) and half the weight of my STX 65, the 554 is nice to carry. There is not much of a size difference though.

The 554 is just another tool in my optics arsenal. I bring whichever optics combo makes the most sense for where and what I’m hunting.

If you’re counting inches then look at the Kowa 773 (should be able to get it with the WA eyepiece for under $2100) or the fluorite 883 (should be able to get it with the WA eyepiece for $2500).

If you’re primarily hunting small animals at distance (ex: Coues) I’d go bigger.
Hey thanks for the info! For my hunting area the 553 will be perfect 98% of the time. Unfortunately having multiple spotters is not in the cards at the
moment.

Hey thanks for the info! For my hunting area the 553 will be perfect 98% of the time. Unfortunately having multiple spotters is not in the cards at the
moment.
Totally get the money aspect. My Kowa purchase wasn’t planned so the funds for it came out of my BTX fund.