Spotting scope decision

take5

FNG
I recently bought a Vortex Razor 11-33x50, but now second guessing it. I got a good deal on it from B&H for $679 with tripod, but I'm wondering if I should return it. I live in Alabama and am a whitetail hunter, but hope to head out west to use it within the next two years. Would love some feedback.
Thanks in advance!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had one and was very impressed with it; the only reason I would think of trading it is if you feel you need more glass (or a spotter isn't the right tool). For a compact, lightweight spotter I think the Razor 11-30 does a pretty darn good job imo.

I sold mine once I started using my binos on a tripod; for spotting game it was much better. If you need a lot of detail (I typically don't as I'm hunting elk and I can tell if it's a bull worth going after from a long ways off :)) than a spotter becomes a necessity.

I have the same SS and like the lightweight and portability.

I am currently looking at other options with larger objective lenses and magnification ranges.

I’ll be keeping the little Vortex for the shooting range and shorter range glassing.

OP
take5

take5

FNG
I had one and was very impressed with it; the only reason I would think of trading it is if you feel you need more glass (or a spotter isn't the right tool). For a compact, lightweight spotter I think the Razor 11-30 does a pretty darn good job imo.

I sold mine once I started using my binos on a tripod; for spotting game it was much better. If you need a lot of detail (I typically don't as I'm hunting elk and I can tell if it's a bull worth going after from a long ways off :)) than a spotter becomes a necessity.
Thanks for the reply. What size binos are you using? Mine are 10x42 so I figured this will help me out for more detail.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same- 10x42's

I've thought about 11's and possibly 12's, but 10's are nice to glass both offhand and on a tripod

It really depends on what your hunting and to some extent where; game like goats/sheep I'd want a spotter and bigger glass in that spotter, antelope a spotter can be useful especially in really big country. Mule deer, especially if you need to size up a trophy or very open country- a spotter can be useful.

I've found I don't miss a spotter for elk, but some guys like to have them (and if that's the case, they often go for a smaller/lighter spotter like you have)

In your particular case, I think I'd just keep the spotter you have- give it a go when you get out west and also setup your binos on the tripod as well- you might find you like to have both, you might not. Depending on the hunt, you may find you actually want a bigger spotter.

The other thing I’ve considered is getting some 15x binos and seeing how I like those with the 11-33 SS, before getting a big objective spotter.

Overdrive

WKR
Seems everyone always wants High magnification, which is fine until your glassing low light early morning and late evening. I like to have a lower power for just such an occasion. I've used several Spotters while guiding and my go to has been a 12-40x60 Leupold GR. I have a 20-60x80 Vortex and it was really useless in low light I had better light transmission with my 15x56 and 12x50 bino's. I also like lightweight and compact for packing all day.

I have a pair of 10x42 range finding binos for chest carry. I am really considering carrying some 15x56s in my pack for glassing off of my tripod.

OP
take5

take5

FNG
Same- 10x42's

I've thought about 11's and possibly 12's, but 10's are nice to glass both offhand and on a tripod

It really depends on what your hunting and to some extent where; game like goats/sheep I'd want a spotter and bigger glass in that spotter, antelope a spotter can be useful especially in really big country. Mule deer, especially if you need to size up a trophy or very open country- a spotter can be useful.

I've found I don't miss a spotter for elk, but some guys like to have them (and if that's the case, they often go for a smaller/lighter spotter like you have)

In your particular case, I think I'd just keep the spotter you have- give it a go when you get out west and also setup your binos on the tripod as well- you might find you like to have both, you might not. Depending on the hunt, you may find you actually want a bigger spotter.
@mtwarden I appreciate the feedback and advice. Antelope and mule deer are on my list as possible first species to hunt out west. Figured I might get my feet wet with them and then go for elk. We'll see.
Either way, I guess I'll hang onto the SS and adjust as needed.
Thanks again!

OP
take5

take5

FNG
Seems everyone always wants High magnification, which is fine until your glassing low light early morning and late evening. I like to have a lower power for just such an occasion. I've used several Spotters while guiding and my go to has been a 12-40x60 Leupold GR. I have a 20-60x80 Vortex and it was really useless in low light I had better light transmission with my 15x56 and 12x50 bino's. I also like lightweight and compact for packing all day.
Thanks for the reply. Low light conditions have always been my biggest concern when using binos and rifle scope. My eyes (and/or the glass) struggle when light is really low.

A spotting scope does you no favor if you just miss what you want to find because the glass isn't quite good enough. If you want small and light, but great optics, get the Kowa 553 or 554. Then yo can also get away with a very light tripod. You can end up under 4 lb. total vs. about 8.5+ pounds for big and heavy alpha glass that gets left in the truck when you go for that "short" hike.

OP
take5

take5

FNG
A spotting scope does you no favor if you just miss what you want to find because the glass isn't quite good enough. If you want small and light, but great optics, get the Kowa 553 or 554. Then yo can also get away with a very light tripod. You can end up under 4 lb. total vs. about 8.5+ pounds for big and heavy alpha glass that gets left in the truck when you go for that "short" hike.
Thanks for the suggestions.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently bought a Vortex Razor 11-33x50, but now second guessing it. I got a good deal on it from B&H for $679 with tripod, but I'm wondering if I should return it. I live in Alabama and am a whitetail hunter, but hope to head out west to use it within the next two years. Would love some feedback.
Thanks in advance!
Hey there - while that spotter might not give you a huge advantage hunting in Alabama, it will be a killer option when heading out West! The compactness and light weight design is the reason the Razor HD 11-33x50 is actually my favorite spotter in our lineup. That's what I backpack in with and what I use at the range for spotting impacts on steel out to 1,200 yards.

If you have any questions on our optics, don't hesitate to reach out!

OP
take5

take5

FNG
Hey there - while that spotter might not give you a huge advantage hunting in Alabama, it will be a killer option when heading out West! The compactness and light weight design is the reason the Razor HD 11-33x50 is actually my favorite spotter in our lineup. That's what I backpack in with and what I use at the range for spotting impacts on steel out to 1,200 yards.

If you have any questions on our optics, don't hesitate to reach out!
@gcronin thank you for the info and offer of support. I might take you up on it.

I had a Razor HD 11-33x50 but I sold it as i didnt like the image when the magnification was cranked up (too dark) and I could see more with my Meostar 15x56s than with the Razor when it was at lower magnification. I sold it and bought a Meopta TGA 75. The TGA 75 is an incredible scope, a little longer and heavier than the Razor 11-33 but still smaller and lighter than my Meostar S2 spotter. So for me switching to the TGA 75 was great, the 75mm objective lens is much brighter than the Razor's 50mm, the magnification 20-60 is fully usable, and the Meopta's build is much better than anything I have seen by Vortex. I also like that due to the design I can lay it on a pack or against a tree and don't need a tripod for quick scans. Bottom line, if I am planning on using a spotter very much, i will bring the S2. If I'm not sure how much I will use a spotter, I bring the TGA 75. The image quality is fairly close to the S2.