Spotting scope filter threads?

dotman

WKR
So my spotter has filter threads on it, thinking about putting on a UV filter to not only further protect the objective lens but help filter UV light when digiscoping.

Anyone else do this? Any issues added a filter to the objective?

colonel00

WKR
Anything between the "good" glass of the scope and your target can degrade the image you see. You don't need to filter light for digiscoping. UV filers were used during film days because they did actually serve a purpose. As far as I understand, the only thing they are good for now is an added level of protection on your front element but cheaper filters will degrade the image more.

Now, you could possible look at getting a CPL as that might help with certain glares but really I'd just stay away from anything.

All that said, just buy a filter adapter and I'd let you borrow some filters to try out. I don't have any UV but we could test some other stuff.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I already picked up a Tiffen 82mm, if anything it can replace the objective cover that isn't the most secure and be removed easily.

Broomd

WKR
I'm using the B&W UV haze 1x 67mm on my Leica 65mm spotter.
I paid $20.85... it's made in Germany and it is genuine Schott glass with a brass (black) ring.
A steal at that price, and worries about compromised objectives are a thing of the past.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I'm using the B&W UV haze 1x 67mm on my Leica 65mm spotter.
I paid $20.85... it's made in Germany and it is genuine Schott glass with a brass (black) ring.
A steal at that price, and worries about compromised objectives are a thing of the past.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking this way, any issues with reduced performance?

Broomd

WKR
*Slight* degradation, but it's very minor..

When comparing against a non-filtered HD Swaro, the Swaro gets the clarity edge until I remove the filter.
It's a very fine line, and worth leaving on the Leica 99% of the time.