Spotting Scope for Mtn Goat Hunt

cotuja

FNG
Currently my most powerful optics are my 18x56 binos. Considering a spotting scope for an AK mtn goat hunt. I haven't hunted goats before and wondering if I would be best served with the highest power spotting scope I can afford in order to help judge billies v nannies...thoughts?

My designated spotter for mountain goats is a Kowa TSN 553. I have a better, more powerful, and heavier scope, but I use that for sheep hunting where determining legality is priority number one. Determining sex isn’t that hard with goats, not that it’s necessary anyway, and I’d much rather pack around a 28 oz. scope, than one that weighs twice that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cotuja

FNG
My designated spotter for mountain goats is a Kowa TSN 553. I have a better, more powerful, and heavier scope, but I use that for sheep hunting where determining legality is priority number one. Determining sex isn’t that hard with goats, not that it’s necessary anyway, and I’d much rather pack around a 28 oz. scope, than one that weighs twice that much.

Thanks, that helps.

Jimbob

WKR
I have one scope 15-45x65 cabelas krotos and I use it for goats and sheep. While goat hunting I have never needed more power, the Kowa 553 is my dream goat scope.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
My eyes see better with higher quality than with higher power in spotting scopes. I would much rather have a sharp 45x view than a fuzzy 60x view. I gave found that very few spotters are usable at their top power, but the ones that are usable are more expensive.

The tripod quality makes a huge difference. Vibration will ruin the view through any spotter, so use the best tripod that you can.

I’ll second the Kowa 55x.

Took my 554 on my Kodiak goat hunt last year as it was half the weight of my STX 65. it also compared favorably to my guide’s STS 65.

If I were to do another goat hunt, the STX will be staying home again and the 554 will be coming along again.

Overdrive

WKR
I've used my Leupold 12-40x60 Gold ring for years and don't see myself going bigger. Fits in my pack easy, it's light and compact and has served me well.

WCT3

FNG
I have a nanny only hunt this fall in Colorado. My current spotter is a Vortex Razor 11-33x50. What scope would you recommend when identifying sex is very important?