Spotting scope for range

Seasley

FNG
Why spotting scope do you guys recommend for range shooting?

I like to buy once, cry once and be done with it
Like to have some input on this please

only be used at the range

How far are you going to be shooting? Are you wanting to see bullet holes in paper? Splashes on steel targets?

BBob

WKR
As big of an objective as you can afford, quality glass wise as in the Kowa or similar that is. Stooping to cheaper glass just to increase objective size wont't do it either. If all you are going to do is shoot first thing in the morning with no mirage you can get away with smaller, add mirage and the bigger objectives will out perform the smaller.

BBob

WKR
How do bigger objectives help with mirage?
Exactly how is a big ol can of worms but,

Resolution: the larger the objective the better the resolution of the image.

Light collection: a larger objective collects more light, the more light the better an image.

Glass quality goes hand in hand with lens size for best image quality.

Basically you can't see through mirage but if you resolve the image with more resolution and light you can better decipher the image.

Edit: Along these lines I'll add that's it's no secret to many that have used various scopes over the years to have figured out that by using the highest quality glass in larger objectives leads to being able to use a higher magnification in bad conditions than if you reduce glass quality or lens size or both.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
You might look into shooting range cameras, you set the camera by the target and it sends image wirelessly. Some will go to two miles and you don’t have mirage to deal with. https://www.longshotcameras.com/products/hawk ( I don’t know any thing about this camera but it’s quite a bit less then a good spotting scope.) And looks to me it will give a much better picture of the bullet holes, even way out there.

Last edited: