Spotting scope for sheep hunting

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I’m wondering what YOU are using as a spotter for sheep hunting, I’ve been bouncing back and forth trying to decide but I need to make this purchase within a few days so I can try it out.

I’ve been thinking about an ats 65, but that compact kowa looks cool too.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I like the look of that little Kowa but it isn't the best on eye relief. I wear glasses and for me eye-relief has to be 18mm or better. I'll stick with my Leica Televid 65mm with the great 25-50X eye piece. It's a heavy spud but I get my son to carry it. I haven't yet seen better performance optically and that saves some steps.

If I didn't wear glasses I think the 55mm Kowa would come home with me. It looks good enough optically and you could save weight not only on the spotter but could have a lighter tripod and head as well.

Hello,

I’m wondering what YOU are using as a spotter for sheep hunting, I’ve been bouncing back and forth trying to decide but I need to make this purchase within a few days so I can try it out.

Agree, that little TSN 553 or 554 looks very interesting. I've been using a STM HD 80mm now for about 7 years and absolutely love the quality, but I'm not a big fan of the weight.

duchntr

WKR
I personally like a bit higher mag on the top end then 45x for judging sheep. My personal scope is a Kowa 663M which is a good lower end option, but I usually use my buds Leica 65 and with a 1.8 extender, that works real well if the thermals are cooperating.

Vandy321

WKR
From the Kowa website, it says the eyepiece is not interchangeable, but it doesnt clearly say what eyepiece it is. Can anyone confirm or deny it's the TE-11WZ wide angle prominar eyepiece they offer on the 770/880?

I'm looking at the 553 as well

ScottP

WKR
Kowa 774 with the 11WZ eyepiece. It's only been on a bighorn hunt, but I hope to take it to AK someday.

The eyepiece on the 550s sure doesn't look like the 11WZ, although I wish it was, then I could buy the 554 body...

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have had the Kowa 553 since the day they came out. It is an amazing spotter. Not amazing for its size, but amazing for a spotter period. The only thing the Swaro 65mm, including the ATX/STX, has over it is FOV and edge clarity. The center sweet spot is equally beautiful on both, but the Kowa is veeerrrry slightly less clear at the edges, and has a decent bit less FOV (at equal estimated magnifications). Neither of those things matter to me, as I only use a spotter for judging, so I’m only using the center and not searching around.

The little Kowa, however, weighs HALF what the Swaros, or any comparable spotter weight, packs easier, and costs a little less. That lighter weight and smaller profile means less weight in the pack, and more stable on a tripod. IMHO is it the ultimate for solo sheep hunting, no question about it.

2backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to decide the same thing and it was between the Kowa 553 and the Swarovski ATS 65 and in the end S&S Archery with the sale on the Swarovski ATS 65 wide angle 25-50 with an additional 10% off and free trekking poles was hard to beat and it arrived today.

I'm running Swarovski EL 12x50s on a Slik 624 with the Outdoorsman head and bino adapter and it makes swapping out really fast and solid.

You cant go wrong with Kowa or Swarovski and Its always a good thing when you have some great products out there to choose from.

Vandy321

WKR
I’m starting to think that this is about perfect for me.

I've decided to go with the Kowa 77, for the same weight as the Swaro 65, with glass quality equal, I figure ya cant go wrong with the larger objective. The folks at cameraland seem to think the prominar eyepieces are some of the very best they've seen.

AndyB

WKR
I've decided to go with the Kowa 77, for the same weight as the Swaro 65, with glass quality equal, I figure ya cant go wrong with the larger objective. The folks at cameraland seem to think the prominar eyepieces are some of the very best they've seen.

There is a chart here comparing the weight of the Kowa and ATS 65, looks like 9oz difference. Unless of course you are comparing the ATX swaro.

Vandy321

WKR
Ah, correct, the ATX 65 59oz to Kowa 77 59 oz, both with WA eyepieces.

I'll carry 9oz extra for the extra light gathering of the 77mm, but good catch on the weight...man, that ATS is light for irs size!

Vandy321

WKR
Hello,

Curious what you ended up doing? I thought I was sold on a Kowa 773, but keep going back reading reviews and finding a reason to go with the 553 instead. To be paired with my 8x42 ELs

Rifle elk and deer mainly, in CO and WA, fairly open country and do plan to use the spotter to better pick apart hillsides.