Spotting scope for the family

Hey Folks. I am looking for recommendations on a spotting scope that would be decent for family use. Wife, two kids younger than 9, and myself.

By far the most use will be from the kids studying the planets and stars. They are both really into astronomy and love "borrowing" my binos to look at the night sky from the back yard. My binos have spent more nights on the ground than I have...lol, so a durable spotter and/or warranty would be high on the priority list.

My wife and I would be using it for the usual rifle target and game spotting.

I know the kids would benefit better from a telescope but they would tear it up and a spotter may be easier for them to use.

My budget is around the $700-800 range.

Advice and help is much appreciated.

Nethero

WKR
If you could get a Vortex Razor gen 1, that would be a great scope for the family. Plus, with the warranty, if it gets trashed you can replace it. The gen 1’s were superior in terms of resolution to the newer Razor spotters in my opinion. They run around the price range you are looking for.

Another possible “budget” scope that would be excellent optically is the Nikon Monarch HD field scope. This scope has a field flattened optical system and is incredibly good for its price range. My only worry is Nikon and their warranty or reputation for the lack thereof. It is possible to find one in this price range, but not as common as the vortex. Please note that this is different from the old Nikon field scopes which I don’t think they service anymore.

Or you could turn towards the older green or silver Zeiss Diascopes which tend to run under $1,000 and Zeiss has an excellent reputation for warranty work in my experience/opinion.

But there are a dozen plus other brands out there that any other person might recommend stuff to you from.

Go for clarity and not just magnification.

Here is an example…
Have an old Vortex Nomad spotting scope. My old Vortex Viper binoculars (8x) show greater detail on the moon than the Nomad despite have a fraction of the magnification range.

tdhanses

WKR
Research the Athlon Ares, gets better reviews then the vortex razor and is cheaper, same warranty. Believe Cameralandny sells them so i’d reach out to Doug.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Research the Athlon Ares, gets better reviews then the vortex razor and is cheaper, same warranty. Believe Cameralandny sells them so i’d reach out to Doug.
It would be our pleasure to discuss this as well as other options with you. 516-217-1000. We are in today till 6 eastern time

Blue72

WKR
I recommend 80mm or bigger if you want to see deep space objects.

Pentax and Celestron spotting scopes allows astronomical eyepieces so you can get wider FOV for star fields, or Higher magnification for planets, especially if you want to see things like Saturns Cassini division, Jupiter’s cloud belts, or Mars polar ice caps

spotting scopes often flare or spike while looking at bright stars or planets, but I know some astronomers like the older Nikon ED spotting scope to keep it under control